• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Urban Meyer announcement

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Putting out a statement to clarify was fine. It needed to be done with as many ignorant dumbasses were out there still making up rumors, and it's also going to be easier now for him to point to this statement when dumbass reporters want to bombard him with questions when his suspension is over. I hope this is the end of it.

It will never happen unfortunately. If he even gets asked a question about the game in the first 30 minutes of his first presser, id be shocked.

OSU needs to just tell him to drop it. Pay off Zach and Courtney to sign a non disclosure letter and hope the media drops it.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because we live in an outrage culture that demands punishment for anything and everything possible. This is 100% the reason why he is suspended. If this was 10-15 years ago or so, he would not be suspended.
So what you are saying is that Ohio State is too gutless to stand up for their coach when there is no punishment warranted?

Because it can't be both ways - either he deserved to be punished, or he didn't.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what you are saying is that Ohio State is too gutless to stand up for their coach when there is no punishment warranted?

Because it can't be both ways - either he deserved to be punished, or he didn't.
I personally think he deserves his punishment because he didn't fire Zach with all the shit that had happened. I don't think anything was in his contract or bilaws that says you face suspension for not firing someone, though. However, they weren't going to let him off with time served in this sort of social climate.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will never happen unfortunately. If he even gets asked a question about the game in the first 30 minutes of his first presser, id be shocked.

OSU needs to just tell him to drop it. Pay off Zach and Courtney to sign a non disclosure letter and hope the media drops it.
I'm pretty sure he ran that statement by the university before he released it. He's not some loose cannon emotional guy who just goes off about stuff for no reason. He's normally quite the opposite.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure he ran that statement by the university before he released it. He's not some loose cannon emotional guy who just goes off about stuff for no reason. He's normally quite the opposite.

Agree — it just had some bizarre statements in.

I dont think there is any way around getting questioned about deleting text messages, the medication that causes memory loss, and the i did not lie comment.

He just needs to bite the bullet and be prepared for the questions to come and hope it goes away.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree — it just had some bizarre statements in.

I dont think there is any way around getting questioned about deleting text messages, the medication that causes memory loss, and the i did not lie comment.

He just needs to bite the bullet and be prepared for the questions to come and hope it goes away.
Yeah you're probably not wrong, though they can definitely make it clear to the media that at gameday press conferences, they're to stick to questions about the game. If they kept on pressing, I'd just stand up and leave if I were him.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally think he deserves his punishment because he didn't fire Zach with all the shit that had happened. I don't think anything was in his contract or bilaws that says you face suspension for not firing someone, though. However, they weren't going to let him off with time served in this sort of social climate.

Part of "the shit that happened " was him (Smith) being accused of domestic violence against his wife. You said "didn't fire him quick enough" . Well eight years and many incidents later is a lot longer than "soon enough". When you are in charge and know this kind of information and don't do anything about it and don't tell your superior about it and act like you don't know about it then people will assume you condone it or just want to hide it because you really want to keep this guy employed.
That's why he was suspended and that's why some people say he should have had a harsher punishment. Yes the "social climate" has something to do with it. There was a time you were able to be like that to your wife and people looked the other way.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah you're probably not wrong, though they can definitely make it clear to the media that at gameday press conferences, they're to stick to questions about the game. If they kept on pressing, I'd just stand up and leave if I were him.

I agree — I’d do the same if I were him. You know how relentless the media is though. They will never drop it until they get answers.

It is why I was surprised OSU didn’t wait til they released the findings of the investigation until making Meyer available to the press. Now he will have to deal with this BS in the middle of the season, when they could have basically had it done with already.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Meyer's loyalty to Bruce clouded his judgement about Zach in a bad way. Knowing what we all know now Smith should have been fired years ago. Urban has nobody to blame but himself for his suspension. He should have done the right thing & canned his ass years ago.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean you all had someone from the board of trustees actually quit over his perception that the investigation was a farce and the penalty way too light. I would assume they had access to every bit of detail in this matter, well beyond what was actually released.

That speaks more volumes than yet another weird statement by Meyer.

Oh, and it's football season ffs.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of "the shit that happened " was him (Smith) being accused of domestic violence against his wife. You said "didn't fire him quick enough" . Well eight years and many incidents later is a lot longer than "soon enough". When you are in charge and know this kind of information and don't do anything about it and don't tell your superior about it and act like you don't know about it then people will assume you condone it or just want to hide it because you really want to keep this guy employed.
That's why he was suspended and that's why some people say he should have had a harsher punishment. Yes the "social climate" has something to do with it. There was a time you were able to be like that to your wife and people looked the other way.
Yeah, this is wrong. Very stupid and wrong.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean you all had someone from the board of trustees actually quit over his perception that the investigation was a farce and the penalty way too light. I would assume they had access to every bit of detail in this matter, well beyond what was actually released.

That speaks more volumes than yet another weird statement by Meyer.

Oh, and it's football season ffs.
This isn't true

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree — I’d do the same if I were him. You know how relentless the media is though. They will never drop it until they get answers.

It is why I was surprised OSU didn’t wait til they released the findings of the investigation until making Meyer available to the press. Now he will have to deal with this BS in the middle of the season, when they could have basically had it done with already.
Man, that was such a mess. No wonder he sounded like shit at that presser. He'd just spent 12 hours in a conference room going back and forth about his job. Having him talk immediately after instead of the next morning was a huge fuckup.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, this is wrong. Very stupid and wrong.
What part?
He waited to long to get rid of him?
He didn't tell his AD and anyone else at Ohio State of what he knew about Smith prior to hiring him on there?
You used to be able to treat your wife (or women) like that and people would look the other way?

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait - weren't you the one that said that Zach should not have been fired because there was never an arrest?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait - weren't you the one that said that Zach should not have been fired because there was never an arrest?
I've literally said the opposite since the very start