• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Tragically Hip's last show

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
pretty sweet of CBC to cut into their primetime Olympic coverage
to show the entire concert commercial free.

spectacular way to say goodbye

CqWQ3UYWEAAKCMc.jpg

Last edited:

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They where as truly a Canadian band as any other band. I got to see them live in 2013. They stole the show. Sucks that cancer has to rob us of this great band.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hip are one of my favorite bands. Odd though ... when I head south to visit family, they've never heard of them. Up here, they sell out the largest venues.

Gord Downie, Tragically Hip singer, has terminal cancer

Back in the Early 90's when I managed record stores, I played the Hip all the time. Sold a bunch when people heard them. I did my part to spread the word. Sucks that they had to compete with Nirvana, STP and Pearl Jam for airtime once they got close to the mainstream. They always have been and always will be superior.

Always a regret that I never got to see them live.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
11.7 million people watched the show last night.
that's pretty much a third of the entire country.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuckng brilliant show.. That's 11.7M TVs tuned in... How many at each house I had 3

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuckng brilliant show.. That's 11.7M TVs tuned in... How many at each house I had 3

I was wondering how they came up with that count. If it is indeed based on the number of TVs then it is greatly under-estimated. There were many large gatherings. There were 2 large gatherings in my city alone (one indoor and one outdoor) at concert venues where thousands watched together. I'm sure there were similar scenes across the country.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I was wondering how they came up with that count. If it is indeed based on the number of TVs then it is greatly under-estimated. There were many large gatherings. There were 2 large gatherings in my city alone (one indoor and one outdoor) at concert venues where thousands watched together. I'm sure there were similar scenes across the country.
1 big TV in Kingston

lth1193356493.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x724.jpg

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, we were up at the lake this weekend so I set the DVR to record the show since I figured we weren't going to be inside around a TV on a beautiful cottage night.

We were just getting the fire going and we started to hear music coming from across the lake just as the show began. Looked around and saw that someone had a projection screen set up outside playing the show. We figured what the hell, at worst they ask us to buzz off so we put the fire out, loaded a bunch of beer and snacks into the Boston Whaler and rode across. I guess they had told their neighbours on their side of the lake what was going on because there were about 50 people in their yard (and a couple boats tied off). Someone came up to us when we arrived telling us to hop out but given the size of the crowd and the likely lack of seating we said we'd just watch it from there since the sight line was pretty decent. A few people came down and shot the shit with us, including the owner who was walking around with plastic shot glasses and a bottle of Crown to take when the show ended.

And so the 6 of us spent the night getting eaten alive by mosquitoes while watching the Hip with a bunch of complete strangers up at the cottage, and this my friends was the most Canadian moment of my life.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, we were up at the lake this weekend so I set the DVR to record the show since I figured we weren't going to be inside around a TV on a beautiful cottage night.

We were just getting the fire going and we started to hear music coming from across the lake just as the show began. Looked around and saw that someone had a projection screen set up outside playing the show. We figured what the hell, at worst they ask us to buzz off so we put the fire out, loaded a bunch of beer and snacks into the Boston Whaler and rode across. I guess they had told their neighbours on their side of the lake what was going on because there were about 50 people in their yard (and a couple boats tied off). Someone came up to us when we arrived telling us to hop out but given the size of the crowd and the likely lack of seating we said we'd just watch it from there since the sight line was pretty decent. A few people came down and shot the shit with us, including the owner who was walking around with plastic shot glasses and a bottle of Crown to take when the show ended.

And so the 6 of us spent the night getting eaten alive by mosquitoes while watching the Hip with a bunch of complete strangers up at the cottage, and this my friends was the most Canadian moment of my life.
Did they proceed to apologize for not inviting you from the start?

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
anyone watch this? the room was mighty dusty,

MV5BNTA4NjQzMzg3MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTM0NjIzMzI@._V1_SY1000_SX692_AL_.jpg