• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The ten worst moves of the offseason

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got to agree to disagree here. Mostly because I'm to lazy to look up the multiple second round QBs that have faded away to be zeros. I would say there is plenty of reasons for a second round pick to take a extension, mostly because until you get on the field, you don't know if your up to the job and in fact I don't think he is.

Again, you got any links even hinting that the Broncos tried even just a little to extended him?
No.

Even if you're right about said 2nd rounders- he was viewed as a heir apparent. Either the Broncos, or someone else, was going to give him a not insignificant contract, likely in the two year variety. He was going to get a chance one way or another- and it doesn't take much to get paid a lot of money at QB in this league.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

Even if you're right about said 2nd rounders- he was viewed as a heir apparent. Either the Broncos, or someone else, was going to give him a not insignificant contract, likely in the two year variety. He was going to get a chance one way or another- and it doesn't take much to get paid a lot of money at QB in this league.

If Peyton plays ever game in 2015, Oz value is no where near what he got, no where near what the Broncos offered him. So IMO the Broncos could have had him locked up for a much more reasonable dollar amount. I don't think you can even argue that.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Peyton plays ever game in 2015, Oz value is no where near what he got, no where near what the Broncos offered him. So IMO the Broncos could have had him locked up for a much more reasonable dollar amount. I don't think you can even argue that.
So he takes the two year Chase Daniel-like deal, gets it extended when he does halfway decent. He gets his money either way-the scenario you describe just takes slightly longer.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he takes the two year Chase Daniel-like deal, gets it extended when he does halfway decent. He gets his money either way-the scenario you describe just takes slightly longer.
Ok list the backups that have gotten Chase Daniel type money? Mind you that contract happened a year later then what we are talking about, and that only happened because his OC coach became a head coach,was a ass stupid contract the likes of you won't see happen for a bit.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also you can say the Chief shit the bed by not extenting Daniels for cheap while they had the chance also.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also you can say the Chief shit the bed by not extenting Daniels for cheap while they had the chance also.
I'll take the 4th round pick, thank you, Philly. But no- Chase Daniel was the reason the Chiefs were in the top 10 or 5 in QB spending the past couple of the years- now they're back down to average. That's an insane number to pay for average QB play. Twas fine when the QB situation was chaos, but I'd prefer the Chiefs to not end up like the Ravens with their cap expenditures at QB.

Come to think of it, Alex Smith was playing on a relatively cheap 2 year contract when he was originally traded here. Also extended after year 1. Obviously not analogous to Osweiler, but two years seems to be the mark/timeframe of a prove it contract for QB's. Bradford got one semi-similar as well.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take the 4th round pick, thank you, Philly. But no- Chase Daniel was the reason the Chiefs were in the top 10 or 5 in QB spending the past couple of the years- now they're back down to average. That's an insane number to pay for average QB play. Twas fine when the QB situation was chaos, but I'd prefer the Chiefs to not end up like the Ravens with their cap expenditures at QB.

Come to think of it, Alex Smith was playing on a relatively cheap 2 year contract when he was originally traded here. Also extended after year 1. Obviously not analogous to Osweiler, but two years seems to be the mark/timeframe of a prove it contract for QB's. Bradford got one semi-similar as well.
Your missing the point. Chiefs could of extended Daniels for cheap, because what was his market if Doug Peterson is still his OC rather then a HC? Not any where close to what he got.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok list the backups that have gotten Chase Daniel type money? Mind you that contract happened a year later then what we are talking about, and that only happened because his OC coach became a head coach,was a ass stupid contract the likes of you won't see happen for a bit.

Good point. It Pedersen doesn't get a HC gig Chase doesn't get that contract.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your missing the point. Chiefs could of extended Daniels for cheap, because what was his market if Doug Peterson is still his OC rather then a HC? Not any where close to what he got.
I don't think the market particularly behaves this way- so I disagree; not in dollars anyway. Had Osweiler and Fitzpatrick not clogged up the market, Chase Daniel may very easily be starting in Houston or New York right now. Chase Daniel has been paid top of the line backup money twice now, one of them being without a career start. I beg to differ. Doug Pederson is certainly a factor in that he provides a soft landing spot for Daniel even if he got shut out of the bottom tier starter market, but that's all I'd really be willing to concede. I don't think the dollar amount changes much.

A) Daniel knows his offense
B) What he brings in the QB meetings, critical for developing Wentz
C) Daniel, even as a backup- has special value to Pederson

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or any where close to it.
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree here. GM's like Roseman, especially Roseman, aren't going to intentionally pay exorbitant rates for a backup QB on a non-contending team just because it makes their 1st year coach happy. I don't buy that at all. There's no way Pederson has that much sway in the Eagles organization.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I contend that the Broncos and Chiefs were not sure of what they had in their backups, so rather then over pay for a back up, they let them play out their contracts, pretty sure those two teams never imagined that their back ups would pull down those type of contracts and if things went just a little different those two QBs would never seen those contracts dollars.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree here. GM's like Roseman, especially Roseman, aren't going to intentionally pay exorbitant rates for a backup QB on a non-contending team just because it makes their 1st year coach happy. I don't buy that at all. There's no way Pederson has that much sway in the Eagles organization.
You got any theory then, why the Eagles use all that Capitol in the draft for a QB, after spending all that money on Bradford and Daniels? I don't see Daniels ever starting barring injuries. So I think the Eagles plum lost their minds.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You got any theory then, why the Eagles use all that Capitol in the draft for a QB, after spending all that money on Bradford and Daniels? I don't see Daniels ever starting barring injuries. So I think the Eagles plum lost their minds.

Occam's Razor: Roseman isn't a very good GM

More than a bit eclectic for my taste at the QB position, but the Eagles philosophy right now seems to be more is better- because there's 3 chances to find a quality QB instead of 1 or even 2. Same idea behind drafting more than enough OL or DB's you'd need in a given year for "depth" when really it's the other way around. Not a fan of doing that at the QB position, but hey, I am not calling the shots, am I?

Chase Daniel is pretty well regarded for what he brings into the film room fwiw (maybe nothing) so it doesn't hurt he can teach Wentz I suppose in theory. Meanwhile, Bradford pouts.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Pedersen sold Chase to Rosman because Chase knows his offense and Chase could help teach the rook they were planning on drafting that's why the Eagles gave him that contract. I still have no clue why they gave so much to Bradford.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Decided not to read all the posts here, but got a question for @cdumler7. Couldn't the Bronco have extended Oz in 2014 thus having their QB of the future in hand? For cheap.

Well that definitely is one of those hindsight is 20/20 moments. They did offer him a contract that he turned down though for something like 3 years/$13 million. He turned that down and decided to bet on himself. I don't blame him as there are some back ups that make way more than that.

Also something else to keep in mind is the Broncos before the 2014 season actually tried to trade Osweiler. They didn't get any teams that wanted him. They were not sold on him at that point as he just wasn't progressing as fast as they would have liked.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Titans hiring Mularkey was bad. Good young QB in Mariota, had a good draft; Should have hired a good coach as well.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Osweiller signing reminds me of the day when Scott Mitchell was paid by the Lions... This isn't going to end well...

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't read all of the posts but the 9ers hiring of Chip should rank up there. He is a college coach and can't get the concept of NFL coaching.