• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The second half

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he was going to walk La Stella after falling behind in the count, but instead he opted to groove one to a guy that doesn't have much power.

NEWS FLASH! Everyone has power with this year's new and improved ball.
It's not like GABP is going to hold a fly ball.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well at least the Reds got one from the Cubs. I think the Cubs fans, who seemed to be the majority, were left in shock, when Peraza hit that double. They couldn't believe what they saw

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple positives.

The Reds have a chance to play over .500 for the month of August. They are 12-11 with 6 games remaining on the home stand this month.

They've been getting better starting pithing from the youngsters. Stephenson, Romano, and Castillo have combined for a 2.10 ERA over their last 42.67 innings.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple positives.

The Reds have a chance to play over .500 for the month of August. They are 12-11 with 6 games remaining on the home stand this month.

They've been getting better starting pithing from the youngsters. Stephenson, Romano, and Castillo have combined for a 2.10 ERA over their last 42.67 innings.
It's so hard to tell about pitching anymore. If the wind isn't blowing out, the balls are too hard or the umps keep shifting the strike zone to teams with players who really aren't trying to hit through the shift to whatever is in the pill they took today ... and it's the end of August and if you are trying to make the team, you need to pitch better.

After listening to Brantley last night, I am convinced the issues with baseball this year are the umpires and their peculiar strike zones. For pitchers who rely on sliders and forkballs now and the occasional high hard one ... what the fuck is a strike now?

I am not yet sold on Romano's talent but I think he has a chance to be a Mat Latos type of pitcher. Castillo may be very good eventually but like all of them, does he have an elbow ready to pop? Stephenson just needs to realize he has had plenty of chances. The only door now is back to Lousyville.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Romano can be a Aaron Harang type performer. Give you innings with a high 3 to middle 4 ERA.

Sometimes you see a guy pitch and you get the feeling he can be something special. I get that when I watch Castillo.

Robert Stephenson has never given me that impression. I can't see him ever being more than a middle of the rotation SP.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mesoraco to the DL and Turner on paternity leave. Enter Chad Wallach to fill the void.

Barnhart is expected to be on paternity leave anyday now. Chad Wallach could be the number one by tomorrow and back in Louisville by Tuesday.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mesoraco to the DL and Turner on paternity leave. Enter Chad Wallach to fill the void.

Barnhart is expected to be on paternity leave anyday now. Chad Wallach could be the number one by tomorrow and back in Louisville by Tuesday.
Hell, by then they might as well just call him up for September.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyler Mahle on Sunday.
The Homer "pushed back to Tuesday" smells a little fishy to me.
Winker on the DL.
Senzel is hurt, not sure how bad.
Curious times.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robert Stephenson has never given me that impression. I can't see him ever being more than a middle of the rotation SP.

I'd be delighted if Stephenson would be good enough to be a middle of the rotation guy. For most of this year I figured Stephenson would be pumping gas for a living in a few years. These days he would have to move to Oregon To get a job pumping gas, but you get my point.

He did have a pretty fair game last night. Striking out 11. but by the time he was going through the Pirates lineup for the 2nd time he fell apart, but still only gave up 2 in 5 and 2/3 innings

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did have a pretty fair game last night. Striking out 11. but by the time he was going through the Pirates lineup for the 2nd time he fell apart, but still only gave up 2 in 5 and 2/3 innings

Part of this is what he has to learn --- how to pitch through the sloppy innings. He threw too many pitches to too many ordinary hitters. The Parrots are free-swingers. Gotta nail Jaso on 3 pitches, not 8. Nobody should foul off 8 pitches in that order. Walking Cervelli, who can't run. Can't go to 80 pitches in 4 innings. Eventually every big league hitter will catch onto your change if you can't set them on their ass with your fastball up and in. Stevie is trying not to beat himself. Fuckin' set Mercer on his butt on a 1-0 count.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long-time fans like have learned that it's the next start that matters, not the one you just finished.
Either way, Castillo hung in there nicely against the Parrots.
Watching Starling Marte, gotta wonder if that guy isn't going to be dealt off this winter? Man, he's fucking the pooch bad with that attitude/approach.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure bringing up Mahle to start today is a good idea, but I guess for one start it won't hurt. I was wondering, what ever happened to Garrett? I don't even hear him mentioned anymore.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure bringing up Mahle to start today is a good idea, but I guess for one start it won't hurt. I was wondering, what ever happened to Garrett? I don't even hear him mentioned anymore.
Garrett is not having a good year with the Batheads. His control is awful.
I think the deal with Mahle is he'd probably be coming up anyhow in September. He has to make the team next year. He's a Rule V guy.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garrett is not having a good year with the Batheads. His control is awful.
I think the deal with Mahle is he'd probably be coming up anyhow in September. He has to make the team next year. He's a Rule V guy.

I agree.
Neither Garrett or Reed have consistently thrown strikes in Louisville, so they add Mahle who has.

Mahle's call up has more to do with the failures of those ahead of him on the depth chart than anything else. He had to be added to the 40 man before December to be protected from the rule 5 draft, so the need for a starter accelerated that. I'm not sure they would have added him in September if they had a full compliment of healthy starters.

Last year the Reds didn't add Winker and call him up in September. They probably would have added Winker in September if they needed a corner outfielder.

Teams value team control and service days like they are gold these days.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, by then they might as well just call him up for September.

My comment on Wallach's length of stay depended on which day Barnhart may have went on paternity leave. Paternity leave is only three days. Turner went Aug. 25, if Barnhart went Aug. 26 or 27, both would have been back before Sept. 1st and the day or two before call ups would have necessitated a move. The Reds would have had to send someone back to AAA to add Turner and Barnhart back to the 25 man roster.

Chad Wallach was left unprotected from the rule 5 draft last year, so I don't think he was in the Reds plans to add and call up in September. If it were earlier in the year, I think he'd get the Corky Millet treatment. Add to roster and call up, DFA and assign to AAA, repeat as needed.

Everything I've heard about Wallach suggest he's a below average defender and he can't hit.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure bringing up Mahle to start today is a good idea, but I guess for one start it won't hurt. I was wondering, what ever happened to Garrett? I don't even hear him mentioned anymore

I read that Mahle was going to be making at least one more start against the Pirates. If Homer is able to pitch, I assume Wojo is out of the mix.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Barnhart goes on his paternity leave, I'd like to see Turner get 2 or three starts in a row. Just to see what he's got. Was he really worth keeping him on the roster all year? And where will he spend most of his time in the future. Majors, AAA, or home

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turner will probably never hit much, but is touted as being a good defensive catcher. There's been plenty of those type of catchers carve out a lengthy career.

With Mesoraco appearing to be day to day for the rest of his career, I'd say Turner will at least be splitting time between AAA and Cincy next year. He may well spend more time in Cincy until a better low cost option comes along.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hunter Green made his pitching debut yesterday. Starting him off slow with one inning and a 20 pitch limit. He needed 15 with 12 being strikes. Average 100 MPH with one hit and one K throwing 14 fastballs.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds are ignoring the elephant in the room with their catchers because the obvious problem is finding pitchers. Their choices are Chris Okey and Tyler Stephenson, who is out all year. I don't know where Okey fits but he was a high draft choice. Okey hits like I do, so there's not much hope there. Everyone else appears to be filler. Stephenson is probably on a faster track but I think he gets hurt a lot.

At Billings, Clementina, who the Reds got for Cingrani, might be a name to watch. He's only 20 so that's real young to make a leap, even to Pensacola.

Meantime, it's Barnhart or the Barnyard.