• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The season has started

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't offer a clue as to Reds organizational "strategy". The more things change, the more they stay the same, with the Reds.

Environment, economy, philosophies and roster management change generationally, but the Reds, for whatever reasons, don't seem to adapt in ways that make them look like a perennial contender. Is this small market limitations ? In part, maybe...but the Cubs floundered for decades with lots of dollars in their market...so, how you steer the ship has a lot to do with where you go, not just the wind in the sails. If winning was easy, everyone would do it ? Not neccessarily if the product of winning is reduced profit margin...and anyone that thinks that quarter billion dollar guaranteed contracts doesn't phase profit margin are mistaken. There are exceptions, but better talent usually wins, and that always sooner or later, costs more. A puzzle isn't complete without all the pieces, and the Reds always have a couple missing.

I was surprised at the results of a recent MLB study of the fan's "cost of a game" (a ticket, a dog, a beer, a soft drink, a hat and a shirt was used) showed the market challenged Reds in the top quarter of most expensive...if I can find it again I'll post it here. My point is it's tough to be a Reds fan these days- not just from a winning perspective, but in already overpaying for inferior product, while saying it takes more cash to improve. I'm skeptical that conundrum is driving any long term Reds strategy, but it should.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was surprised at the results of a recent MLB study of the fan's "cost of a game" (a ticket, a dog, a beer, a soft drink, a hat and a shirt was used) showed the market challenged Reds in the top quarter of most expensive...if I can find it again I'll post it here. My point is it's tough to be a Reds fan these days- not just from a winning perspective, but in already overpaying for inferior product, while saying it takes more cash to improve. I'm skeptical that conundrum is driving any long term Reds strategy, but it should.

This is probably a matter of a fan's interest in the team, or just in the experience. I think the nature of a Reds fan is that a trip to the ballpark, which usually means coming some distance, is probably viewed more as an outing than a visit to watch "the game."

I say this from my memories of the days when i grew up in a tiny town in Franklin County and how we had to traverse US 52 through Harrison, down the hill, around some other shit and find a place to park where some "colored" kid would watch our car for us for 50 cents. But the Reds were in fourth or fifth place so it was about getting to see them -- and more important to me -- the superstars from the other team. Mays, Furillo, Musial. Who's pitching today? Klipstein? Well, they have Antonelli ... maybe we can win.

I don't recall what it cost. I was a kid.

The baseball fan has a different world now, and the disposable income frightens me. Who'd pay 10 bucks for a "craft" beer that Linda Antis claims is the best ever?

There are not as many paying customers now, and that has always been a challenge for the Reds, who depend on a large footprint to count the same number of fans that the White Sox count, and the Sox are nothing but a small market team inside a big market.

Dunno ... winning would matter, short-term. Sustaining that isn't likely without resources. Chicken, egg ...

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I drafted Stephenson then they sent him to AAA. Is there a thought that he can lower that ERA and get called back up?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I drafted Stephenson then they sent him to AAA. Is there a thought that he can lower that ERA and get called back up?
Stevie is one of those guys who is a candidate to make you bald. But I don't think he's going to make an impact at the MLB level. Maybe as a reliever. That should not be a rotation that's tough to crack, but he's succeeded in doing that. I would say, though, that he's probably the No. 7 guy on the depth chart and injuries are inevitable.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just like baseball. When I was a kid I chose the Reds as my favorite team, probably for 2 reasons. 1. They were the closest team, and 2. The little league team I played for was the Reds. Been a fan for most of my 67 years. I don't know where the game is heading. It's changed so much in my life time. but I still like baseball. I hope it survives the next 50 years, but I have my doubts.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only problem with the game is that the 20-somethings in the front office keep trying to attract new fans by adding shit that has nothing to do with baseball. Adding an organ grinder with a monkey outside the Opera Hall isn't going to increase interest in opera but it will annoy the people who appreciate opera for what it is.

MLB and its media overlords are telling us what we want to see, when to see it and how much it ought to cost us. The people they are trying to lure into that trap are not going to fall for it, and the rest of us will have to endure that.

The game was just fine before the automatic intentional walk or the man on 2nd base. Replay has allowed the umpires to call anything they want and let "New York" fix it for them, after another 4 minutes delay that will be fixed by a clock on the scoreboard.

Seriously, if these assholes don't like the game, invent some other sport.

We can't fix the players union and those guys are too deep in the forest to see the trees.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WE ARE A CONTENDER.
YOVANI GALLARDO!

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of us older fans seem too think the more they mess with baseball the worse it gets. I tend to think about baseball like our society in general- we don't need more rules if they would just enforce the ones we already have. Make these guys get in the box, and they wouldn't be worried about games taking too long. Ever notice every rule change they make works for offense and against pitching ?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just watched Schebler play a fly ball in CF like I would have played it.
Seriously, I will take BH's anemic hitting.

Duvall needs to hear something from the SS instead of throwing to the plate.

Cheesh.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I am already looking forward to Nick Senzel playing SS for this team.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y'now, it's one thing to use the excuse that your relievers are hurt, still another to make choices about who replaces them. Austin Brice is a Triple-A pitcher.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QUACK!

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Castillo didn't look so good, I hope it was just a case of being nervous. Peraza seems to be pushing to hard. Maybe because the hand writing is on the wall. Votto not doing much either

Washington does have a really good team, and not a lot of weakness's. The problem is the Cubs are right behind them. The Reds will be lucky to win a game out of these 1st 5.

Not feeling very positive about this team right now

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Castillo is making his first real season start after a spring training. Yeah, I imagine he was overthrowing against hitters he hasn't seen. Take away the HR in the first, and he's probably good to do. Either way, he's not the problem.

The whole of the Reds lineup seemed pretty clueless despite the score. A couple of terrible umpire calls on K-3 murdered the one rally. It's hard to blame umps, but a rally is a rally against a pitcher who was dominating.

Bullpen is as bad as we expected and the annual injuries excuse has gotten old. Get better pitchers.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has nothing to do with the 1st 2 games but I'm thinking this will be Prices last year with the Reds. Unless they have a great year. A great year meaning, more than 81 wins. 81 would be a good year. I don't necessarily believe that Price is the problem, He has had very little as far as pitching to work with. I think the front office will "Want to make a Change".

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has nothing to do with the 1st 2 games but I'm thinking this will be Prices last year with the Reds. Unless they have a great year. A great year meaning, more than 81 wins. 81 would be a good year. I don't necessarily believe that Price is the problem, He has had very little as far as pitching to work with. I think the front office will "Want to make a Change".
I think you nailed it.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lord, it's painful to watch this team already.
KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, we had to get Yovani Grandslammo.
This bullpen is so much better than last year's.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The baseball game is something going on in the background while Thom Brennaman talks. Half the time he doesn't even tell you who at the plate. and he never gives the right score. Okay 2 or 3 times in the game he gives you the wrong score. Sorry Thom you do get it right once or twice during the game.

Not much good to say about that three game series. Romano wasn't too bad. Bullpen sucked though. Really wasn't in any of the three games although they were close. Never felt they were going to do anything to get the lead.

Out pitched, Out hit, Out scored