• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: The real opening night thread

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell is up with Fultz shooting form? My wife has better form than that. Overall, I like what the Sixers look like. Our starting 5, if healthy is right up there with anybody in the East, outside of Cleveland. Our bench looks to be underwhelming. I like Saric and Johnson in that role, but nobody else really stepped up. Fultz needs to step it up, he looked unathletic, and looks like he won't be able to hit jack shit outside of the lane. Getting Holmes healthy will be another positive, as I think he'll be a solid contributor.

Worried about Fultz, though. He doesn't look like a #1 overall pick.

Wow. That's a pretty harsh judgment of Fultz after 18 minutes of professional basketball. His FG shooting was fine. His FT is still weird and you have to think that it is a physical adjustment that will get corrected.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frank Kaminsky should worry about his NBA career and not some 17 year old who decommited from Wisconsin. Bust.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. That's a pretty harsh judgment of Fultz after 18 minutes of professional basketball. His FG shooting was fine. His FT is still weird and you have to think that it is a physical adjustment that will get corrected.

Didn't mean to give you a bs rating at first. I understand it's harsh, but he can't shoot the ball outside 8 feet. He's a guard, and he didn't look like the athlete he did in college for some reason. If he drives to lane and has a layup, they'll just foul him knowing he won't make both, and probably better odds he'll miss both. In a draft with as many guards as there were, I think he already looks like a mistake. I get his FG % was fine, but it was all layups.

I do like his ability to get to the lane though, and surrounded by Redick, Covington and Embiid he could be a good distributor. It's gonna be a while for me to get that awful form out of my head.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't mean to give you a bs rating at first. I understand it's harsh, but he can't shoot the ball outside 8 feet. He's a guard, and he didn't look like the athlete he did in college for some reason. If he drives to lane and has a layup, they'll just foul him knowing he won't make both, and probably better odds he'll miss both. In a draft with as many guards as there were, I think he already looks like a mistake. I get his FG % was fine, but it was all layups.

I do like his ability to get to the lane though, and surrounded by Redick, Covington and Embiid he could be a good distributor. It's gonna be a while for me to get that awful form out of my head.

My point is that it is way to early to judge Fultz.

Something is going on with his shooting. We've known that for a few weeks. Perhaps he has completely forgotten how to shoot but I find that unlikely.

IMO, he clearly has some sort of injury that is limiting his shooting. His FT form confirms that for me. He was a good shooter at Washington. It seems unlikely that changed over night.

He's a 19 year old rookie PG. If anyone is expecting him to become a all star level player this year, they are going to be woefully disappointed.

I really expect little from him this year. He'll be a bench player for most of the year I suspect.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is that it is way to early to judge Fultz.

Something is going on with his shooting. We've known that for a few weeks. Perhaps he has completely forgotten how to shoot but I find that unlikely.

IMO, he clearly has some sort of injury that is limiting his shooting. His FT form confirms that for me. He was a good shooter at Washington. It seems unlikely that changed over night.

He's a 19 year old rookie PG. If anyone is expecting him to become a all star level player this year, they are going to be woefully disappointed.

I really expect little from him this year. He'll be a bench player for most of the year I suspect.

I wasn't expecting him to be an all-star this season, or even in the next couple, I just didn't expect him to have Shaq like shooting mechanics. If him and TJ are going to play together off the bench we'll have no outside shooting threat. Sixers are probably better off starting him so he can play along Redick and Covington more. At least Bayless is capable of making a jumper.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't expecting him to be an all-star this season, or even in the next couple, I just didn't expect him to have Shaq like shooting mechanics. If him and TJ are going to play together off the bench we'll have no outside shooting threat. Sixers are probably better off starting him so he can play along Redick and Covington more. At least Bayless is capable of making a jumper.

The question is whether his jumper is actually broken or whether he is playing through an injury that is limiting his shooting motion. I believe it is the latter.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sixers are in the East. If the Embiid and Simmons stay healthy, which is certainly a big if, then the Sixers COULD wing 48-50 games?

Is that going to happen? Probably not. But I they could certainly be the 4th or 5th best team in the league if they stay healthy.
I love the Sixers.

I think 45 is their ceiling and not a bad jump.

I think they make the playoffs , if healthy.

But, I don't see 50 wins this Season.

Fultz looks.....wrong.

Gotta be a lingering injury....

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the Sixers.

Fultz looks.....wrong.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think we are going to win 48 much less 50 games. I would be pretty thrilled with 44-45 games. And if Embiid only plays half the season then I suspect they are a 40 win team.

My point was simply that if everyone stays more or less healthy and if last night is a starting point then this team is going to be much better than expected this year. If everything goes right they could get into the upper 40s but that is unlikely.

Fultz looked generally good EXCEPT shooting. Good ball movement. Good vision. He didn't even bother trying a long range shot. I'm not going to worry about his shooting unless it is still a problem in December.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong. I don't think we are going to win 48 much less 50 games. I would be pretty thrilled with 44-45 games. And if Embiid only plays half the season then I suspect they are a 40 win team.

My point was simply that if everyone stays more or less healthy and if last night is a starting point then this team is going to be much better than expected this year. If everything goes right they could get into the upper 40s but that is unlikely.

Fultz looked generally good EXCEPT shooting. Good ball movement. Good vision. He didn't even bother trying a long range shot. I'm not going to worry about his shooting unless it is still a problem in December.
Okay...

Yeah, I understand your point.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the Sixers.

Fultz looks.....wrong.

I see the 76ers range something like 38-52 wins. Pretty wide range but there are so many variables. Having seen Simmons last night, I'd probably adjust the bottom upward to something like 42-52 wins. I think the top end of that is really unlikely but I could see it happening if everything falls perfectly.

My best guess is they go 44-38. Respectable. Probably good enough for something like the 6-seed.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boogie, Boogie, Boogie....

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The East is going to be Giannis vs. Simmons for the next decade. They've got a lot of similarities. It's going to be fun to watch.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the refs apparently called this a foul(wasn't even the one right in front of the players) and they reviewed the play calling it a foul instead of out of bounds off Gordon. I feel like that should have been Kings ball with a chance to tie instead of sealing the win for the Rockets but maybe that's just the homer in me.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the refs apparently called this a foul(wasn't even the one right in front of the players) and they reviewed the play calling it a foul instead of out of bounds off Gordon. I feel like that should have been Kings ball with a chance to tie instead of sealing the win for the Rockets but maybe that's just the homer in me.
I was surprised as I thought they were reviewing who touched the ball last.

I didn't see a foul and it should have been Kings ball.