• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Positives thread

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone said the same thing about the Reds in 2010. I'm guilty of doubting the Pitates too, but actually Chico educated me a little on them, and they have done a lot better at a couple of things I find are indicators of true organizational improvement- scouting and player development. They also have a mix of relatively lower ego talent, and a dugout staff they believe in. Pitching is huge, and theirs has shown signs for a couple years. They've got a couple veterans that have been around the block, and some hungry young talent to mix in. We'll see.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the Parrots and Cardinals do is ... they let the bad teams beat themselves.
I watched part of the game today and Miami brings Qualls in again and for the 2nd time in two games, the guy leaves the mound with nobody out and the bases loaded -- with the top of the order coming up. He did this the game before as well.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However, this is the positives thread.
I still would like to see the Reds go after David DeJesus, who is a free agent.
I think he plays right for GABP.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I don't expect Choo to be here next year. I love both Lasagne, and ice cream, but putting them together is as repulsive as Billy Hamilton and Dusty Baker together. Unless he's injured, Ryan Ludwuck's contract says he's going to be the LF next year. Bruce is also an OF. He's a good Rf, but not so great a CF.

DeJesus isn't Choo. He's a mediocre average hitter with less than mediocre power or speed. He is a vet, but one that's played on losers mostly, and I think that experience isn't badly needed. I can't think of an affordable veteran CF answer right off hand, but the CF had better hit more than .270 / 8/ 50...I might prefer .240/ 2/ 30 with 75 SB from Hamilton.

Ultimately, Todd Frazier might prefer to be a Met LF, Cozart a Brave SS, and Mesoraco a Pirate C, but until that happens, and rhe Teds have more offensive options at those positions,the Reds are going to have to get some offense from the OF, besides just Jay Bruce.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops. That wasn't very positive, was it ?

Hey, remember Dave Collins ? He's kinda what everyone hopes Billy Hamilton will be...but back then, Gary Redus and Dan Driessen were the "power" hitters on a powerless, 100 loss Reds team. Poor old Mario Soto might have won 25 games with 4 runs behind him.

This team has a lot more talent than that, and I wouldn't trade problems or owners with that kind of Reds team. Lots of years, Reds talk in August wasn't about playoff chances.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoever gets David DeJesus will be getting a good outfielder with a lot of upside.
He won't cost a fortune and he won't hit 30 HR. But I think he's a good .280 guy at the top of the order.

I'm just not buying Hamiltons yet. Or Lincolns or Jacksons.
Franklins ... yeah, for sure.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team needs Todd Frazier to be at least 250/.260 and around 19-22 HR, and 75-80 RBI. His defense has been better than expected at 3b, but they need him to hit more. He has time to do that still. Why should they expect a LF to hit less than that ? They shouldn't, but lots of people say Cozart has to hit better. I don't understand that, because a SS makes a couple hundred more outs on defense than a LF does. There aren't that many SS that hit more than Cozart, but quite a few that don't field as well. The Reds really only need one more hitter to rely on this year. Unfortunately, if it isn't an OF, I don't know where it's going to come from.

There are all kinds of guys going on waivers right now. Most wont actually get traded, but some will. Alex Rios went to the Rangers. Interesting, he went from the BlueJays to the Whitesox via waiver claim a couple years ago, without trading ANY players for him. The Whitesox just took over his contract. Now he's gone again...makes you wonder what's wrong with the guy. Adam Dunn cleared waivers. Gotta wonder how many takers for him, at his contract, huh ?

Im glad the Reds aren't asking for waivers on their big contracts. It's not a positive sign when you do that IMO.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see a guy like Dunn finishing out in Japan.

I agree to a point on Cozart. The guy is a better-than-average glove and it looks like the long season is wearing him down a little. He doesn't get many days off.

IF the rest of the team was more consistent, I could abide a .240/10/40 out of him. I think he's a better ballplayer than it shows. Curious why he doesn't run more.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cozart is THIRD among NL SS in runs and doubles. That doesn't make him a 2 hitter, but people do need to consider we could have Rentaria, or Uribe, or Ronny Cedeno....Or Starlin Castro for 20 tones the mobey, hitting .239 and plsying dogshit D. People that bitch about a solid D SS or C not hitting, have an OF that needs another hitter or two. Look around.He doesn't try to go oppage or steal because they don't want him to. The guy has 2 steal attempts in 2 seasons. Think he's got a green light ? Dusty is on cruise control a lot, but he's the bus driver here.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
St. Louis showing where it's weakest -- and it's named Molina.

Odd stat if that matters -- if the Reds had only SPLIT with the Cards this year, they'd be 66-49 instead of 64-51 ... which would be exactly what the Cards would be. So it's just 2 games that would have reversed their standings.

tlakes20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well with 47 games left if they go 24-23 they'll finish with 88 wins which should be enough to get one of the wild card spots for sure. There are really no other teams behind the Reds playing all that great right now. Arizona is 5 back and Washington is 9 back so really no other teams are within striking distance at the moment unless the Reds go in a major slump and one of those teams get hot (knock on wood).

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks to be playing for a wild card in August.
I hope this changes soon.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we picked up a game on both the Pirates and the Cards last night, and now are on a 3 game winning streak. Also Frazier has 3 hits in the last two games.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pittsburgh will not stay on the same pace in August and September that they have up to this point. I think the Reds match up extremely well with the Pirates and if we are a wild card--that is who you better pray that you play and not the dirty birds.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is one thing I've learned about Dusty, is that lessons learned is a foreign concept...so, whining about where they should be (better than pushing for a minimal record play-in playoff game) isn't going to mean anything. It's ALWAYS about what you do today, anyway. The only thing this team can do, is do that. Today, tomorrow, and every game going forward, and in the end, it is what it is. It's the Dusty prototype.

And in the last 3 games, the Reds have been good enough. A team SHOULD strive for perfection, but the truth is, it's always flawed. The best you can be is, good enough to win...and this team IS good enough to win. Today.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best National League team I ever saw lost 54 games in the regular season and almost didn't win the World Series. And at least 3 teams in my memory won pennants or W.S. titles by barely being over .500.
So a well-played game to me is a score of 33-32, with our guys getting the 33.

And the Mariners won 116 games one year. Remember those guys? I didn't think so.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now the difference in this team is simple.
1.Joey Votto is tearing the cover off of the ball, I think he has gotten out like 5 time since all star break.
2.Cozart and Frazier are both starting to find there stroke.

The teams is finally starting to get in a groove and is just 2 game back from Cardinals and have a few easy series's ahead.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank God we have Ryan for a feel good positive thread vibe! Thanks Ryan. I hope you are right and I know every other poster on here feels the same way. I take no glory in saying I told you so as I have been a Reds fan for over 40 years. I cut my teeth watching a dejected Johnny Bench walk off the field in 1972 with his hat smashed in his hand after losing to the Oakland A's. I remember hating Gene Tenace, Rollie Fingers, and the rest of those handle barred mustached assholes with a passion. So, I wanna win and all we can do is put our hopes in the hands of Dusteromus and that is really frightening because he can screw the pooch in a heartbeat with his inane maneuvers.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't buy into the "easy series" notion. Everybody can win 2 out of 3.
But some teams Reds match up well against, including the Cubs and the Brewers.
Would like to make a statement there.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU, I was going to say the same thing. about Hoping Ryanballa is right. And how much we need his positivity on here. I also felt the same way about Oakland back in 72. Still believe we had the better team back then. That was a bitter lose that year. Same the next year, when we lost to the Mets in the playoffs.