• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The O's are "Players" in FA. Interest in Choo, Cruz, and Jimenez

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Orioles Interested In Choo, Cruz, Jimenez

By Jeff Todd [December 4 at 10:47pm CST]
The Orioles are "active" in discussions for multiple free agent pitchers and hitters, [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]408454141988864000[/MEDIA]"]tweets[/ame] Jon Morosi of FOX Sports. Among them are outfielders Shin-Soo Choo and Nelson Cruz as well as starter Ubaldo Jimenez, according to Morosi.
While Baltimore entered the off-season with several needs, MLBTR's Mark Polishuk explained that budget constraints -- especially with Chris Davis and Matt Wieters entering their last year of team control -- left it unclear just how much the club would be able to spend. After clearing the projected $10.8MM salary of closer Jim Johnson, however, executive vice president Dan Duquette may have additional space with which to work.
Discussing the Johnson deal, Duquette indicated that it was in large part driven by "resource allocation." Looking forward, Duquette said the club was "still looking for help in left field" and "would also like to sign some other pitchers."
While any of the above-noted players would fill a need for Baltimore, it would seem to be something of a surprise for one to land there. As Duquette went on to note, "I don't think free agency is the way to build a strong team." And the big dollars expected to be landed by Choo, Cruz, and Jimenez would certainly eat up a big chunk of the present and future payroll for the O's.

MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Last edited by a moderator:

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As Duquette went on to note, "I don't think free agency is the way to build a strong team."

Ok, a question since I am not sure of the "line"

If you trade for a player with 1 or 2 years left of team control or years left on his contract. Then sign him to more years. It seems like your just getting the guy to exclusively talk with him for a bit longer. They can still say no and go to FA. A new contract is a new contract. Seems like Drafting or trading for minor leaguers is really the "pure" way of not building through FA and nobody does just that.

Do you consider guys traded for with less than 2 years remaining and signing a deal, a FA?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As Duquette went on to note, "I don't think free agency is the way to build a strong team."

Ok, a question since I am not sure of the "line"

If you trade for a player with 1 or 2 years left of team control or years left on his contract. Then sign him to more years. It seems like your just getting the guy to exclusively talk with him for a bit longer. They can still say no and go to FA. A new contract is a new contract. Seems like Drafting or trading for minor leaguers is really the "pure" way of not building through FA and nobody does just that.

Do you consider guys traded for with less than 2 years remaining and signing a deal, a FA?

You need to have a plan when you trade for those guys - if you trade for a guy with 1 or 2 years left, you need to be sure that you're re-signing him - teams have different goals, some teams try to win now, some try to be competitive for years to come - it depends on the team

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That o's lineup would be wicked if they added choo.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need to have a plan when you trade for those guys - if you trade for a guy with 1 or 2 years left, you need to be sure that you're re-signing him - teams have different goals, some teams try to win now, some try to be competitive for years to come - it depends on the team

but do you consider the trade and then signing him no different than signing a FA without giving up a player?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but do you consider the trade and then signing him no different than signing a FA without giving up a player?

I guess you could say it would be like a showcase, getting to see a player closely for a period of time and seeing whether you want him or not and it's like a negotiating period where you have more time to negotiate with that player, but as I said, if you're trading for guys like that, either you know you're going to sign him and you will make every effort to do so, or you are going for it all and you're taking a risk - it's pretty simple - teams know the situation when they make these deals