• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The offseason UFA/RFA signings thread

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Paddock Stand, Section 23, Row QQ, Seat 4
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that I'd set up a thread to keep up with all of the deals that Minny makes during the Summer months, especially since there are some fairly 'key' guys who are up for new contracts.

Here is a list of those I'm particularly interested in:

Niklas Backstrom (UFA)
Pierre-Marc Bouchard (UFA)
Matt Cullen (UFA)
Cal Clutterbuck (RFA)
Justin Falk (RFA)
Brett Clark (UFA)
Jared Spurgeon (RFA)

And then there are a few guys who spend about equal time alternating between Minny and Houston - starting this Fall it will be Des Moines - who are still are noteworthy:

Carson McMillan (RFA)
Marco Scandella (RFA)
Jarod Palmer (UFA)
Stephane Veilleux (UFA)

The first deal has been struck. The Wild inked a two year, two-way contract with Stephane Veilleux yesterday:

espn.go.com

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you were following the Draft yesterday you already know this, but for those who weren't...

Justin Falk and Cal Clutterbuck have been traded away. Falk was dealt to the Rangers for forward Benn Ferriero and Clutterbuck went to the Islanders for forward Nino Niederreiter.

As for the Draft itself, the Wild's top pick (46th overall) was defenseman Gustav Olofsson, from the USHL's Green Bay Gamblers. Olofsson has committed to play at Colorado College starting this fall.

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New guy here, I'm mixed on the Clutterbuck trade. He brought some fire but was putrid on offense. Nino seems to have some goal scoring talent but hasn't shown much in the big leagues. Hopefully a change of scenery will do him some good.

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keith Ballard was signed to a two year deal today. MN boy is coming home after rotting away in Vancouver. An upgrade over Gilbert IMO

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keith Ballard was signed to a two year deal today. MN boy is coming home after rotting away in Vancouver. An upgrade over Gilbert IMO

I sure hope so: Gilbert was okay, but not overly impressive.

If you missed out on the other news from this hectic Friday, Cullen was cut - & promptly signed by Nashville. Bouchard was released, & then signed by the Isles.

Spurgeon got a three year deal - & a big, fat raise: $2.66 per. I really like the kid, & hope that he can live up to his new pay grade.

Last edited by a moderator:

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, my! :omg:

Devon Setoguchi is dealt to the Jets - for a 2nd round pick next year!

Looks like Fletcher needed the cash, because he just signed Matt Cooke to 3 years at 2.5 per.

A little help for the D-line, for sure - only now the O-line is getting a bit thin.

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we'll be alright. I hate Cooke but he is an upgrade skill wise to Clutter. I just hope he has his head straight and doesn't pull any cheap shots. Nino, I think has more upside than Seto. The loss of Cullen hurts but the other losses can be overcome if any of the youngsters can step up. Having Pom healthy will help too.