• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Officially Official Off Season Thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nap isn't signed, but it sure looks like he's going to be doesn't it? Some of us are making this assumption anyway. And if he is, Moreland is by far the most logical one to pack IMO.

You mentioned getting fair value for Mitch, and then bring up sending Prince elsewhere. What do you suppose Fielder's "fair value" is these days?

I still have some hope for Rua, but not as much as I had going into last season, I gotta admit.

i just don't have much hope for Rua. he showed some spark at times but not enough to gamble with him in a full time role

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just don't see any other American League team taking on that contract
We would have to pay a portion of it for sure. It would be less than what I used to think we would have to pay though. That is not any kind of a deal breaker though by any stretch of the imagination.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i just don't have much hope for Rua. he showed some spark at times but not enough to gamble with him in a full time role
You must be bored again because he hasn't been given nearly enough time to make any judgments about him. Like I said, you must be bored again because I believe you know better than that.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Dallas resigns Napoli as expected, then at least for me, it's a easy decision on who is the player I think needs to go.

Napoli can't catch, maybe a few innings in an emergency situation, but he isn't even a backup catcher anymore. And good Lord, if he never sees LF again, I'm OK with this. So he's really a 1st baseman/DH.

Moreland will be a FA in 2017, but will play fairly cheap for 2016, and he's LH. Moreland has been up and down, with more down than up IMO over his career. Granted, last year he stayed relatively healthy and had his best season. His on-again, off-again bat may be back next season, and he's subject to physical breakdown at any given moment. Both very concerning.

With Prince, I think if we moved him, we'd probably have to eat $50 mil right now. That can have a huge negative effect on the team for years to come.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You must be bored again because he hasn't been given nearly enough time to make any judgments about him. Like I said, you must be bored again because I believe you know better than that.

i just don't think we can be as competitive as some think while waiting for a player to show that he is ready for the majors. would you have us insert him into the lineup with out knowing if he can deal with it? we have done that before and it did not go well

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Dallas resigns Napoli as expected, then at least for me, it's a easy decision on who is the player I think needs to go.

Napoli can't catch, maybe a few innings in an emergency situation, but he isn't even a backup catcher anymore. And good Lord, if he never sees LF again, I'm OK with this. So he's really a 1st baseman/DH.

Moreland will be a FA in 2017, but will play fairly cheap for 2016, and he's LH. Moreland has been up and down, with more down than up IMO over his career. Granted, last year he stayed relatively healthy and had his best season. His on-again, off-again bat may be back next season, and he's subject to physical breakdown at any given moment. Both very concerning.

With Prince, I think if we moved him, we'd probably have to eat $50 mil right now. That can have a huge negative effect on the team for years to come.

think that maybe conservative and we would get little in return

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i just don't think we can be as competitive as some think while waiting for a player to show that he is ready for the majors. would you have us insert him into the lineup with out knowing if he can deal with it? we have done that before and it did not go well

Our organization thought enough of him to start him in LF last season didn't they? And he got hurt, so I'm giving him an incomplete for last year.

But as far as "inserting" a player is concerned, who was that guy in CF for last most of last year? Or how about the guy who will be our # 1 catcher going into next season? Was Odor a "sure fire can't miss prospect?"

How do you know if anyone is ready unless you give them the opportunity to do so?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't tell Odor and DeShields

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't tell Odor and DeShields

okay so there have been successes and failures. we made progress last year and i want the progress to continue and think some of these suggestions are steps backwards

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
steps backwards

As in who?

It wasn't Rua IMO. I'm not 100% in the guys corner, but someone thought enough of him to put him in LF to start the season last year.

And it can't be Chirinos b/c he's a converted INF who is just now starting to grasp all the complexities of the position.

Every team, regardless of budget and record, has "unproven" players on their 25 man squad, and in many cases have a starter or two.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FANFEST Tickets went on sale this morning, if anyone is interested. Pretty fun day for Rangers Fans, if you've never been

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Young signed with BoSox. Guess that spoiled one of your's Christmas list.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He dealt with it with flying colors when he was healthy.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
think that maybe conservative and we would get little in return
Actually I thought his estimate was on the liberal side. I think another team would be willing to pay between $13-15 million a year for Prince and we would have to pick up the rest after what Detroit is already picking up. After what Detroit will pay him for the remainder of his contract we will owe him $18 million per year for the next 5 years. I think if we kick in $5 million per year another team would be willing to pay him $13 million per year. We might have to kick in as much as $8 million in the last couple of years to bring our payout amount to about $31 million over 5 years and it could be significantly less than that. That should not be a deal breaker.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FANFEST Tickets went on sale this morning, if anyone is interested. Pretty fun day for Rangers Fans, if you've never been

Looking for info about FanFest is actually how I found this site, funny enough.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I thought his estimate was on the liberal side. I think another team would be willing to pay between $13-15 million a year for Prince and we would have to pick up the rest after what Detroit is already picking up. After what Detroit will pay him for the remainder of his contract we will owe him $18 million per year for the next 5 years. I think if we kick in $5 million per year another team would be willing to pay him $13 million per year. We might have to kick in as much as $8 million in the last couple of years to bring our payout amount to about $31 million over 5 years and it could be significantly less than that. That should not be a deal breaker.

That sounds realistic. He may do better as well. To me his performance in the post season is suspect. However his attitude re letting Mitch take 1B was awesome. Tough decisions have to be made sometimes

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking for info about FanFest is actually how I found this site, funny enough.

Not sure how you got directed here by looking for Fanfest info, but glad you're here. I think there are few here that go to Fanfest, I enjoy it. Hopefully Darvish finally makes an appearance

Status
Not open for further replies.