• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official World Cup Thread

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Brazil needed some ref help today. Based on their quality of play, I'm convinced they aren't going to win it all.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brazil needed some ref help today. Based on their quality of play, I'm convinced they aren't going to win it all.

the games aren't leaving their homeland. I don't see how they lose

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
the games aren't leaving their homeland. I don't see how they lose

They are most likely going to face Germany in the semis and then either Spain or Argentina in the final. That's not an easy road if they make it that far. Gonna need some home cooking for sure.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reffing in soccer just plain sucks. Worst sport ever. i would rather watch competitive bass fishing. Flopping all over the place. One ref and he is supposed to see the whole field? NFL same amount of players on the field and look how many officials they need and they still miss a lot. No replays at all? Any sport that rewards diving on the ground as if they were shot is not a real competition. It is an acting troop.

There needs to be accountability for flops by immediately red carding anyone who does it. Don't let them play the rest of that game and then the next game as well. Then maybe it will turn into a real sport. Also fix the clock so the clock stops when the ball is out of bounds or someone is injured. And have the fucking thing count down like every other sport that is not a timed for speed event.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reffing in soccer just plain sucks. Worst sport ever. i would rather watch competitive bass fishing. Flopping all over the place. One ref and he is supposed to see the whole field? NFL same amount of players on the field and look how many officials they need and they still miss a lot. No replays at all? Any sport that rewards diving on the ground as if they were shot is not a real competition. It is an acting troop.

There needs to be accountability for flops by immediately red carding anyone who does it. Don't let them play the rest of that game and then the next game as well. Then maybe it will turn into a real sport. Also fix the clock so the clock stops when the ball is out of bounds or someone is injured. And have the fucking thing count down like every other sport that is not a timed for speed event.

While I agree with the flopping part, I will contend that the reffing and rules in the NFL are FAR worse. And it's not even close.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brazil off to a shaky start but that'll probably be the toughest group stage game for them. They have time to sharpen up and will have crowd support. I think they'll go at least to semis but I'd pick Germany overall right now.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's absolutely disgusting how Fred dived and gets away with it... UN-FUCKING Believable..... I've watched a good deal of La Liga games and I've seen better flops that don't even get called...

I have no fucking idea what that Ref saw.... really, a defendor in good position is going to pull down the player with his hands, no demonstration of pulling yet the Brazilian hits the ground hard....

I can't believe at this stage n level, it worked... amazing....

StoningtonQB

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
World Cup diving at its best... worked for Ghana 4 years ago.

What USA needs to win the WC is less skill and better divers

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get tired of seeing players writhing in pain like little babies only to see them get up perfectly fine 20 seconds later. If it hurt that bad that you were rolling on the ground in agony, then you better stay down. No dignity.

I hope someday they do something about this. Go red card happy on any player that even gives a hint of being in pain to get the call. That'll change things really fast.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets go USA. Cant wait for Monday

UgOtBuCkEd21GoRe

49ersMichiganDubsA's
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets go USA. Cant wait for Monday

Can't wait either! But the group is do tough. Can't envision them advancing outta the group stage. Sucks considering it's once every four years. Would love a better showing. Anything is possible tho.

Irritating to see Mexico get such a great draw considering it took a USA 93rd minute goal to get em in the World Cup. frustrating.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Never see us becoming soccer powerhouse. Not enough support for soccer in this country.

I think one of the effects of the concussion mess in the NFL will be greater youth involvement in soccer. We'll see some parents pulling kids who would otherwise play football and put them on soccer leagues. Not sure that will be enough - kids still grow up playing pickup games of basketball and football far more than soccer - but I wouldn't be surprised if in 20-30 years we're fielding more competitive teams. For that matter, it seems like MLS is becoming increasingly popular, though I base that almost entirely on my time up in Seattle, and they absolutely love the Sounders. I haven't seen the same reaction with the Earthquakes, for instance, though I've never lived in San Jose.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think one of the effects of the concussion mess in the NFL will be greater youth involvement in soccer. We'll see some parents pulling kids who would otherwise play football and put them on soccer leagues. Not sure that will be enough - kids still grow up playing pickup games of basketball and football far more than soccer - but I wouldn't be surprised if in 20-30 years we're fielding more competitive teams. For that matter, it seems like MLS is becoming increasingly popular, though I base that almost entirely on my time up in Seattle, and they absolutely love the Sounders. I haven't seen the same reaction with the Earthquakes, for instance, though I've never lived in San Jose.

I've been to several Earthquakes games. They have a very passionate following. The #CaliClasico games vs LA Galaxy at Stanford stadium always sell out. I'm really looking forward to the game against the Sounders at Levi's Stadium. Also, the new Earthquakes stadium should rejuvenate the fanbase further.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've been to several Earthquakes games. They have a very passionate following. The #CaliClasico games vs LA Galaxy at Stanford stadium always sell out. I'm really looking forward to the game against the Sounders at Levi's Stadium. Also, the new Earthquakes stadium should rejuvenate the fanbase further.

Yeah, not meaning to knock the Earthquakes at all, I just don't know. I can say with some level of conviction that they aren't huge in the East/NE bay. I went to a Sounders-Earthquakes game in Seattle, and the Earthquakes had a pretty good and involved road crowd, though. Sitting literally right behind me. Occasionally tossing beer and hot chocolate over my head at Sounders fans. And taking off their shirts when it looked like they were going to win. Good fun. Actually, it was a great game. Kasey Keller's last home game. He made some really fantastic saves to keep them in it, but it looked like the Sounders were going to lose it 1-0. They came storming back with two late goals to pull off the win. That's when the beer and hot cocoa really started flying.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah, not meaning to knock the Earthquakes at all, I just don't know. I can say with some level of conviction that they aren't huge in the East/NE bay. I went to a Sounders-Earthquakes game in Seattle, and the Earthquakes had a pretty good and involved road crowd, though. Sitting literally right behind me. Occasionally tossing beer and hot chocolate over my head at Sounders fans. And taking off their shirts when it looked like they were going to win. Good fun. Actually, it was a great game. Kasey Keller's last home game. He made some really fantastic saves to keep them in it, but it looked like the Sounders were going to lose it 1-0. They came storming back with two late goals to pull off the win. That's when the beer and hot cocoa really started flying.

Yea, their territory is really only the South Bay. The Earthquakes fanbase still has a ways to go compared to the Galaxy, Sounders, and Timbers. In any case, the MLS has a bright future on the west coast at least. I don't pay attention to the rest of the league.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if they played on ice

canada would win

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No talk about the Spain game? If only the Netherlands played like this in the 2010 final.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I when I was in elementary school I played soccer in police leagues for a bunch of years but once I hit my teens my schools actually had basketball teams, so I switched to bball. I think if my schools had soccer teams I would have continued to play.