• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NFL's greatest Defenses

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The D that is never talked about cause the O was so bad 1977 Falcons Gave up 9.2 PPG and only gave up more than 20 twice ( 23 and 21) too bad the O only scored 12.8 PPG:suds:

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I wouldn't even think of that one. The top 10 isn't too hard. In some order, Steelers, Ravens, Bears, Giants etc but the rest of the list get more challenging.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These lists are tough because it always wants to make you compare eras. I mean let's put the Steelers 70s defense against the today's Patriots offense or Steelers offense. Would they really be any better than the Broncos of today? I know the size is different, but could Mel Blount in his prime actually cover a WR with today's rules as well as Aquib Talib.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The D that is never talked about cause the O was so bad 1977 Falcons Gave up 9.2 PPG and only gave up more than 20 twice ( 23 and 21) too bad the O only scored 12.8 PPG:suds:

It really shouldn't get talked about. They had a fluky season, and were not manned by a bunch of all pro players at several positions. They were ranked 22nd in points allowed the previous season and 14th the year after, so that gives you a more accurate assessment. They also played against a bunch of teams with limited offenses as well.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These lists are tough because it always wants to make you compare eras. I mean let's put the Steelers 70s defense against the today's Patriots offense or Steelers offense. Would they really be any better than the Broncos of today? I know the size is different, but could Mel Blount in his prime actually cover a WR with today's rules as well as Aquib Talib.

I think you really have to throw out the era argument in these discussions. There are too many variables between eras.

The 2000 Ravens are too low at #6 and the 85 Bears should be #1, imo.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Given a scenario like that, those Steelers would have all the medicinal and workout advancements, plus all of the PED's of today's game, so they'd all be bigger/faster/stronger. Mel Blount has his name attached to a rule - Talib is not the player Blount was. Those Steelers were the best defense ever, and they are head and shoulders above anything today, but therein lies the problem. In today's salary cap era, could you even field that whole unit together? I doubt it.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any defense older than 10 years ago would have to re-learn the game of football completely. Defenses from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90's would have so many personal fouls and automatic first downs they'd probably get blown out. Use a time machine and bring that 76 Steelers team to the future and then have fun explaining to them to why the WR's are allowed to run free and the QB is never to be handled roughly. That would be a fun experiment.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any defense older than 10 years ago would have to re-learn the game of football completely. Defenses from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90's would have so many personal fouls and automatic first downs they'd probably get blown out. Use a time machine and bring that 76 Steelers team to the future and then have fun explaining to them to why the WR's are allowed to run free and the QB is never to be handled roughly. That would be a fun experiment.

There would be no reinventing the wheel scenario required. All the proof you need are those '76 Steelers' in that the game has never changed as drastically as it did for the 1978 season when it came to rules. The game opened up passing-wise....and the Steelers simply adjusted just like everyone else did...and led the NFL in fewest points allowed.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There would be no reinventing the wheel scenario required. All the proof you need are those '76 Steelers' in that the game has never changed as drastically as it did for the 1978 season when it came to rules. The game opened up passing-wise....and the Steelers simply adjusted just like everyone else did...and led the NFL in fewest points allowed.

I don't doubt that they'd do ok, but look at the confusion among even modern players. Nobody knows where they can hit, how to hit, when there's a catch, when there's not, when you are allowed contact and when you aren't. Defenses are so handcuffed nowadays it's brutal. Everything is a first down now and that has to effect how many yards and points are being allowed by defenses. For example: In 1976 the Steelers were penalized 111 times but only 14 of those were automatic first downs. Last year the Steelers were penalized 103 times but 38 became automatic first downs. So in '76 only 12.6% of penalties moved the chains compared to 36.8% last year. That means if the '76 team played under today's rules they probably wouldn't have got off the field as often and they would have also given up more points. Officials are fucking with the NFL too much now and it's ruining the game. It sucks that every Tuesday reffing is a topic of conversation on every sports radio show and message board.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really shouldn't get talked about. They had a fluky season, and were not manned by a bunch of all pro players at several positions. They were ranked 22nd in points allowed the previous season and 14th the year after, so that gives you a more accurate assessment. They also played against a bunch of teams with limited offenses as well.

It was the 70s, almost every team had a limited offense. And does it matter what they did OTHER seasons? When we talk about great teams, we go by individual years. Yes, the Falcons had less than stellar years around 1977, but that doesn't mean that their 77 team should be ignored. As far as their sos, they played the average 16th ranked scoring offense, the Steelers in 1976 (often considered the GOAT) faced the average 14th ranked scoring offense. The big difference is that the 77 Falcons offense only mustered 179 points, while the 76 Steelers had almost double that with 342 points. TOP stats aren't available that far back. But I have to imagine the 76 Steelers dominate in that offensive catagory compared to the 77 Falcons and the Falcons allowed less points. Impressive regardless of who was on the roster or what they did in other years.

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I don't like about the list is how they vary from single season teams to multiyear teams.

Are they seriously suggesting that the Cowboys had a top 10 defense of all time for 14 years?

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I don't like about the list is how they vary from single season teams to multiyear teams.

Are they seriously suggesting that the Cowboys had a top 10 defense of all time for 14 years?

Yeah, my thought as well. Actually I think it was 15 seasons, 64-78. I was going backwards from #1 and quit when I ran into that one. Multiple years D to 1 year D is apples and oranges. There were several multiple year picks. It's particularly ridiculous when it spans 15 years and completely different personnel.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't doubt that they'd do ok, but look at the confusion among even modern players. Nobody knows where they can hit, how to hit, when there's a catch, when there's not, when you are allowed contact and when you aren't. Defenses are so handcuffed nowadays it's brutal. Everything is a first down now and that has to effect how many yards and points are being allowed by defenses. For example: In 1976 the Steelers were penalized 111 times but only 14 of those were automatic first downs. Last year the Steelers were penalized 103 times but 38 became automatic first downs. So in '76 only 12.6% of penalties moved the chains compared to 36.8% last year. That means if the '76 team played under today's rules they probably wouldn't have got off the field as often and they would have also given up more points. Officials are fucking with the NFL too much now and it's ruining the game. It sucks that every Tuesday reffing is a topic of conversation on every sports radio show and message board.

This is mostly all irrelevant. It doesn't matter that 'nobody today knows where to hit, how to hit, etc.....there are still good defenses and bad defenses relevant to this era. Now, put a defense together where several players are HOF players, amongst the very best to ever play the game, surrounded by several other legit all pro/pro bowl players......that is exactly what those 70's Steelers were.

A defense like that, running on all cylinders, would lay waste to every offense today.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And does it matter what they did OTHER seasons?

Of course it does. It reinforces the fact that the stars lined up for them for one season, and that they didn't have the actual talent to sustain it over the years. It's a unique feature about pro football. I can throw out dozens of great 'seasons' from teams/players that just aren't considered 'great.'

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking the late 2000's Steelers would be higher. They dragged Ben to the Super Bowl kicking and screaming a couple of times there. Heck, they turned it over like 4 times in an AFCCG and still beat the Jets.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it does. It reinforces the fact that the stars lined up for them for one season, and that they didn't have the actual talent to sustain it over the years. It's a unique feature about pro football. I can throw out dozens of great 'seasons' from teams/players that just aren't considered 'great.'

Well, what are we talking about here? Eras or yearly teams? I agree that they dont belong in the conversation with the 70s Steelers as an era team. But from a straight 1 year defense conversation, they should defenitely be in it with anyone.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, what are we talking about here? Eras or yearly teams? I agree that they dont belong in the conversation with the 70s Steelers as an era team. But from a straight 1 year defense conversation, they should defenitely be in it with anyone.

You basically gave the answer as to why I don't consider the Falcons in this particular discussion. You agree that they don't belong with the 70's Steelers as an era....why not? The Steelers had the actual talent year after year, repeatedly showing how truly great they were. The 1977 Falcons are just that. One year, and basically irrelevant before and after.

As I said, football is unique in that teams play certain divisions rotating yearly. All the stars lined up for them in 1977, but couldn't come close to repeating that defensive success simply because they weren't that good in the first place. The term 'one year wonder' comes to mind. That's what makes the 70's Steelers or the 80's Bears stand out.