• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NFL has an offensive line crisis

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is funny. Blaming college offenses for the NFL's problems. Not too long ago, the NFL would blame college offenses for linemen not being able to pass block and QBs not being able to run a pro-style offense.

7 O-Linemen first rounders were selected in 2 of the last 3 drafts. 13 O-Linemen were taken in the first round of 2013's draft.

It's not a talent gap or a college scheme issue. Its an NFL talent development issue and an NFL scouting issue.

I would agree it's a development issue....I think more so because everyone is scouting the same talent base....take a guy like Erick Flowers...he's starting to look like a bust, but if the NYG didn't take him, the next team needing a OT would have.

But that said...imo it's not the colleges fault...I think once you are 3 yrs removed from your HS graduating class you are eligible for the NFL draft. So...these schools realize their time with these kids is probably 3 yrs if they are talented enough to play as a freshmen. Most HS run the read or spread option...colleges started adopting what the players already have some familiarity with to get the most production with the shortest learning curve.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I think it's a coaching developmental problem.

More college teams run the spread and even some highly touted Abs don't know how to take a snap under center. So pro coaches who never had to spend time developing basic skills are trying to teach skill sets they never had to address.

College coaches are not in the business to develop pro talent.They are in the business to win games. Example: Tim Tebow was a great college QB. He did everything Urban Meyer wanted him to do to win. Same with Troy Smith but they were so hopelessly lost trying to develop prostyle skills they never could catch up.

The Lions have a guard named Joe Dahl from Washington State. He has not really contributed in two years but they keep him as they develop his pro style skills. I think your going to see longer times as bench players with O-Lineman because they have not learned the basic pro skills in college like they used to.

Goes right along with less time in OTAs.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt on Finney & Hubbard. Both are stud depth guys to have. When you have 2 guys that can instantly step in & you don't see any dropoff or vulnerabilities on the O-line... That's incredibly valuable. But I do think a lot of the development is directly related to having Munchak around. He's turned 2 UDFA's in Hubbard & Finney into starter material.

Coach Munch...add Beachum and AVill as guys that probably were not the most talented...he turned them into starter material.

The coaching aspect of OL is a major factor...just because you're a high 1st round pick doesn't really mean much as an OL, you still need to learn the trade at this level and having a guy that's been in the trenches playing at a high level teaching is huge.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree it's a development issue....I think more so because everyone is scouting the same talent base....take a guy like Erick Flowers...he's starting to look like a bust, but if the NYG didn't take him, the next team needing a OT would have.

But that said...imo it's not the colleges fault...I think once you are 3 yrs removed from your HS graduating class you are eligible for the NFL draft. So...these schools realize their time with these kids is probably 3 yrs if they are talented enough to play as a freshmen. Most HS run the read or spread option...colleges started adopting what the players already have some familiarity with to get the most production with the shortest learning curve.

It's a matter of investment, like every other position on the field. The teams who have invested heavily in O-Linemen tend to have good offensive lines or at least better than average. The teams that have been neglecting the line, have bad O-lines.

If you're one of those teams that has been investing assets in the O-Line and still have a bad line, then it's a development issue or scouting issue within your organization.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a matter of investment, like every other position on the field. The teams who have invested heavily in O-Linemen tend to have good offensive lines or at least better than average. The teams that have been neglecting the line, have bad O-lines.

If you're one of those teams that has been investing assets in the O-Line and still have a bad line, then it's a development issue or scouting issue within your organization.

Yep, not just player investment...the Steelers are probably paying Mike Munchak a hefty penny. I'm guessing a lot more than the average OL position coach. We've seen big progress since coach Munch signed on in PIT...imo he's Tomlin's most valuable position coach.

Development is the key.

CIN Bengals.

3 years ago they had, LT Whitworth, LG Boling, C Bodine, RG Zeitler, RT, Andre Smith...two 1st rounders, a 2nd rounder and 2 4th round picks....I was never a huge Andre Smith fan, thought he was more G material than OT, but that was a pretty good OL for several years.

The front OFC realized their OTs were getting on up there in age and invested a 1st and 2nd round picks on guys to transition to. Well, they've transitioned to those draft picks now and let the high price vets go and they are struggling on the OL...the kids either are not good enough, or not ready to play.

We can say bad scouting, but my point is Ogbuehi (21st overall) and Fisher (53rd overall) would absolutely have gotten picked by other teams.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, not just player investment...the Steelers are probably paying Mike Munchak a hefty penny. I'm guessing a lot more than the average OL position coach. We've seen big progress since coach Munch signed on in PIT...imo he's Tomlin's most valuable position coach.

Development is the key.

CIN Bengals.

3 years ago they had, LT Whitworth, LG Boling, C Bodine, RG Zeitler, RT, Andre Smith...two 1st rounders, a 2nd rounder and 2 4th round picks....I was never a huge Andre Smith fan, thought he was more G material than OT, but that was a pretty good OL for several years.

The front OFC realized their OTs were getting on up there in age and invested a 1st and 2nd round picks on guys to transition to. Well, they've transitioned to those draft picks now and let the high price vets go and they are struggling on the OL...the kids either are not good enough, or not ready to play.

We can say bad scouting, but my point is Ogbuehi (21st overall) and Fisher (53rd overall) would absolutely have gotten picked by other teams.

I, for one, applaud Cincinnati's decision to let Zeitler go. He's fitting in nicely in Cle.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of today's fat boys, who in the past would have gravitated toward the offensive line as a way to get chicks, are now the ones that just look at **** all day on their smart phone. Won't even go out for sports cause they don't worry about impressing girls. They're fat, lazy and right-hand happy, if you know what I mean. Just my opinion.
giphy.gif

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I, for one, applaud Cincinnati's decision to let Zeitler go. He's fitting in nicely in Cle.

I'm sure you are...lol...two of the best moves CLE has made in a while plugging in those vet OL guys.

For a team with cap space to spend, I didn't get that. I get it, if you have a young guy ready to plug in, somebody had to see in in the games LY for (Ogbuehi especially)practice these guys weren't ready. If they can't pull this back together soon an entire season could go up in smoke because a bean counter probably something...doesn't seem like a move a HC would make.