• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NFL has an offensive line crisis

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Analysis | The NFL has an offensive line crisis

“There’s not much offensive line talent coming into the league,” the executive said. “What were the top offensive linemen, they’re not there.”

Those within the league believe the dearth of serviceable blockers derives from two primary factors: Offensive linemen enter the NFL less prepared than ever, and they have less opportunity to improve once they’re in the league.

The college spread offense, a frequent object of scorn among NFL evaluators, plays a major role.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, who the fuck grows up saying "I want to be an Offensive Lineman"

Seems more like "Sorry fatty, you cant be a WR, lets try you on the Oline"

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could always adjust offenses to accommodate, or teach differently. League needs to adjust or fall behind.

Yeah, the colleges don't do jack shit for OL; it takes way too much effort to do it correctly when you start an NFL blob for maybe 3 years before some desperate team overdrafts him. But at the same time- the NFL coaches, are well, paid to coach. It's not a money issue Seattle doesn't have a good OL, they don't draft or develop well there. They (read: Tom Cable) have had more than enough time to fix it and it doesn't happen. It's an epidemic of unimaginative NFL coaches who can't coach out of a paper bag.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of the issue is the way the NFL works now. Things that are normal now that didn't used to be normal:

1) Rookie QBs who aren't ready start Game 1. (See: Browns. Nothing wrong with that oline except at C.)
2) Dline is more athletic than they used to be.
3) Teams don't run the ball as much anymore (7ypa > 4yards per carry)

Part of the issue is that OL developing in college (spread) and the preseason is stunted.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Less time at OTAs is likely a big problem as well.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could always adjust offenses to accommodate, or teach differently. League needs to adjust or fall behind.

Yeah, the colleges don't do jack shit for OL; it takes way too much effort to do it correctly when you start an NFL blob for maybe 3 years before some desperate team overdrafts him. But at the same time- the NFL coaches, are well, paid to coach. It's not a money issue Seattle doesn't have a good OL, they don't draft or develop well there. They (read: Tom Cable) have had more than enough time to fix it and it doesn't happen. It's an epidemic of unimaginative NFL coaches who can't coach out of a paper bag.

May be showing that the demand for the stationary, immobile QB (looking at you Eli Manning), may be less and less in the years moving forward...

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
god damn it, is it too late for me to switch professions? I would like to be paid millions to be a crappy OL too.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Left tackle is the new left handed relief pitcher.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you were a kid and had the talent? What would be more attractive? Being a defensive lineman and getting to be a wrecking ball or being the unknown guy who has to try and block? O lineman get almost zero recognition unless they screw up. Kind of a suck job except it pays well. On most teams anyway.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Since you brought up the Seahawks, I don't think it so much a coaching problem, but rather a indecisive approach to drafting for OL. At one time, it seemed like they figured these OL coming out of college were so raw they might as well draft better athletes ( DL& TE) and convert them to the OL. Now they have gone back to actually drafting OL, which I hope works out better, but going to take time to develop them.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this takes points off the scoreboard tge NFL will either make the D count 3 Mississippi before rushing the QB. Either that of allow the OL to hold.

blue_suns

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd figure lineman would be the position to worry the least about with the rise in obesity over the years

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why I liked what Bob Quinn did. Spending late future draft picks on former high pick olineman is worth the gamble now.

Greg Robinson has been solid for very little cost, lots of teams could have really used him this year.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers kept 9 OL this yr...typically they keep 8 and have gone with 7 before...they just didn't want the last two guys exposed.

I think coaching has a lot to do with it...there's only so many players with the size, strength and agility to play LT...maybe 5 that are really good, maybe another 10 or so that get the job done...everybody else is looking for that anchor...getting 5 guys in sync as a unit takes reps and as others have said, they don't get the reps now.

OL is not really a glamour job, but if you have the size and playing at a power 5 conf...there's a good chance you will get a shot at the NFL.

Pretty much guaranteed two NFL contracts if you stay healthy.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy to think how well Dallas has drafted linemen.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you were a kid and had the talent? What would be more attractive? Being a defensive lineman and getting to be a wrecking ball or being the unknown guy who has to try and block? O lineman get almost zero recognition unless they screw up. Kind of a suck job except it pays well. On most teams anyway.
Maybe, but I remember the coaches telling you were to play, we never got to choose. And defensive linemen and o-linemen are typically different builds and skill sets, no? I don't think Joe Thomas would make a good DL

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose the coaches would pick your position early in school. I never played football with pads. I did get a football injury once though cause I was mouthing off to a football player.