• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Master Vent Thread-Negativity Within-Enter at Your Own Risk

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't comparing the two teams, I was comparing the narrative of what constitutes a 'good coach' in comparison to what I read here in the past regarding penalties.

Del Rio is a fine young coach who has been fortunate that his lack discipline effectiveness has not affected his teams chances this year.

I don't believe you can have it both ways, it is either a non-issue, or it is a pillar of a 'good coach'. It can't be both just because it fits your argument.

I think the number one trait of a great coach is winning no matter what circumstances are against you. Del Rio seems to have that knack so far. Unfortunately, its something we haven't seen from Fisher in over half a decade now. So yes, penalties are definitely an issue with both teams, but winning is number one.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the number one trait of a great coach is winning no matter what circumstances are against you. Del Rio seems to have that knack so far. Unfortunately, its something we haven't seen from Fisher in over half a decade now. So yes, penalties are definitely an issue with both teams, but winning is number one.
Well maybe it is self inflicted, no it is self inflicted but the real difference is QB play.

The Raiders are playing with a Pro Bowler at QB and we have been playing with backup QB's for the most part since Fisher has been with the Rams.
6 years in is way too long to be dicking around with backup QB's! :gaah:

Keenum, Foles, Davis, Hill and Clemens! :L

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wentz is off to a great start in the NFL and after the trade up that is who I thought we would select. That said, if we picked Carson, he would probably not be 'ready' still while Goff would be starring in Philly for most of the season.

You just get this feeling the reason that Goff is not 'ready' at this juncture, is more about self preservation for Snisher. I mean if they start Goff at the start of the season or a few games in and they continue to lose, it's on them, no?

But if they start him late in the season, and he flashes even in losses, Snisher gets at least another year to develop their guy, right?

It's a damn shame because it really is looking like these decisions are not based on what is the right thing to do for the football team as much as it's on what is the right thing to do for Snisher.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well maybe it is self inflicted, no it is self inflicted but the real difference is QB play.

The Raiders are playing with a Pro Bowler at QB and we have been playing with backup QB's for the most part since Fisher has been with the Rams.
6 years in is way too long to be dicking around with backup QB's! :gaah:

Keenum, Foles, Davis, Hill and Clemens! :L

But again, those were his choices, no one said he HAD to go with those guys...We had chances at guys like Carr in the draft, but instead we took GRob, Tavon, etc...If he didn't like his QB options, he should've done something about it sooner...

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But again, those were his choices, no one said he HAD to go with those guys...We had chances at guys like Carr in the draft, but instead we took GRob, Tavon, etc...If he didn't like his QB options, he should've done something about it sooner...
We agree, I said it was self inflicted.

The guys we picked up instead of drafting Carr was Robinson, Donald and Joyner.

Carr at Robinson draft pick selection would have seemed crazy, but in hindsight between the two is clear. Glad we got the last two, but would have rather had Carr the last few years instead of Joyner.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We agree, I said it was self inflicted.

The guys we picked up instead of drafting Carr was Robinson, Donald and Joyner.

Carr at Robinson draft pick selection would have seemed crazy, but in hindsight between the two is clear. Glad we got the last two, but would have rather had Carr the last few years instead of Joyner.

Lets face it...The main reason for Carr going later than he should've was his brother...Had his bro not been such a bust at #1 overall, teams wouldn't have been so scared of taking Derek higher...

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets face it...The main reason for Carr going later than he should've was his brother...Had his bro not been such a bust at #1 overall, teams wouldn't have been so scared of taking Derek higher...
True, but even as the 4th QB taken in that draft Carr was still drafted No. 36 Overall I believe. That not too bad actually. But that he was taken after Johnny Football, with all his drama going into the draft, kind of speaks to what you are saying.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really think David had much of a chance to succeed to begin with. He had a horrific offensive line there in Houston and never got time to throw the ball, so he took a lot of punishment. I don't believe that any quarterback would've succeeded there. So I disagree with that being a factor in Derek getting drafted in round two.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let's not forget that Carr had a lot of the same concerns that surround Goff. Here's a breakdown of his weaknesses from his draft profile:

Lacks ideal height and has relatively small hands. Bulk is just adequate. Could stand to improve as a deep passer. At times tries to do too much and forces some throws. Occasionally throws off balance unnecessarily and sails some throws. Operated out of the shotgun and pistol and made a lot short/lateral throws and half-field reads. Production is inflated by spread offense and porous Mountain West Conference defenses -- nine 2013 opponents (excluding an FCS opponent) ranked between 81st and 125th nationally in scoring defense and/or passing defense. Had his worst game in the Las Vegas Bowl against USC.

Maybe if Goff actually got some PT, he could approach Carr's rookie production.

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raiders commit 23 penalties, an NFL record, and they still win today. Just goes to show what a team can accomplish with a good head coach and a capable offense
The comeback kids...they are looking really tough.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that our penalties always seem to come at the worst times and kill us, maybe the Raiders penalties are just brief hiccups!

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that our penalties always seem to come at the worst times and kill us, maybe the Raiders penalties are just brief hiccups!

Raiders offense can overcome the penalties right now (or at least they did this weekend). Not always the case though...

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would say the #1 trait of a GREAT coach is getting 100% effort consistently. Consistency overall, not alot of penalties, sticking with a game plan, knowing you strengths/weaknesses.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say the #1 trait of a GREAT coach is getting 100% effort consistently. Consistency overall, not alot of penalties, sticking with a game plan, knowing you strengths/weaknesses.

I have to admit Fisher sticks with his game plan whether it's working or NOT

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to admit Fisher sticks with his game plan whether it's working or NOT

Not sure about that. They talk about being a power running team and running the ball, then end up giving up the farm for a QB and throwing alot. When's the last time you've seen him pound 2 RBs for 1st downs without throwing 1 pass during a set of downs? 3 runs in a row?

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would say consistency and winning really go hand in hand, no?...If you play consistent, chances are you're going to win...

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say consistency and winning really go hand in hand, no?...If you play consistent, chances are you're going to win...

Yes... unless you are consistently bad more than you are consistently good. I would say Fisher has been more bad than good. We've seen flashes, but it's like 1 out of every 4-5 games it seems.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to disagree ole chap. Wentz is picking up alot and fast. Plus he has his mobility as well. I didn't think he would be ready, but the Eagles did.
Wentz is smart and he's an athlete. He checks down alot at times, but he's a rookie. He doesn't have a great WR core nor a great RB. Oline is above average, but that D is pretty good. He's made some dam good throws.
I don't think you really picked up on what I was saying, at least your comments don't support any sort of disagreement to what I was saying.

Let me put it this way, if the Rams selected Wentz, Carson would still be sitting, and if the Eagles selected Goff, Jared would be playing.

My comments had nothing to do with the players and everything to do with the teams who selected them.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure about that. They talk about being a power running team and running the ball, then end up giving up the farm for a QB and throwing alot. When's the last time you've seen him pound 2 RBs for 1st downs without throwing 1 pass during a set of downs? 3 runs in a row?

I was being sarcastic, seems like anything he "try's" does not work, he just can't figure out what does work, let alone how to use his players