• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last Movie You Watched (no spoilers)

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wind River: 5/5 stars. The 10th film of all time that I have awarded a perfect 5/5 score to.

Basically; everything about this movie works, from the acting, to the cinematography, to the bleak and snowy Wyoming landscape, to the thematic content, to the Nick Cave soundtrack, to the "brutal and shocking" violence (Richard Roeper's words- which describe the violence dead on), and to; most of all, the tension that builds up and boils over throughout scenes in the movie (in particular, one scene stands out above the rest. Probably the most intense shit I have ever sat through while watching any form of cinema.)

As many of you may have gleaned from reading my reviews, I am big on actors and put a lot of weight regarding their performances into how much I enjoy a film.

I previously told @mr.hockey4242 a couple of days ago when he mentioned this film in this thread that I am not a huge fan of Jeremy Renner, which was an accurate statement at the time. I did not hate him, there are far worse actors, but I often regard him more as a side-piece than a main character (but then, even his role in the MCU as whatever fucking lame hero he claims to be is stupid to me), which is probably the reason I am not huge on The Hurt Locker (3/5 stars). Before today, I figured that the best you can get from Renner is a forgettable but not very significant role like in Arrival (5/5 stars). Anything more than that, and you risk some Town (1.5/5 stars) shit (which isn't a terrible performance from him, and I appreciate his ballsiness. Actually, the more that I think about it, the more I think he wasn't so bad so much as the movie fucking blew).

After seeing Wind River today, my whole opinion of the guy has changed. He's not like one of my favorite actors now or anything, but he captured lightening in a bottle with his performance in Wind River. He's usually a pretty stoic character in his films, but he does show vulnerability and then, later, strength in his performance. I actually think his character, Cory, is a little more nuanced a character than he appears at first. Renner pulled the shit off, so I have to give credit where credit is due.

As an aside, I remember reading the film's premise, and then sitting in the theater watching the first 10 minutes of the movie and thinking "Michael Shannon would have been 10 times better portraying Renner's character." While I do think that Shannon could have been just as good as Cory, I do not think he would have surpassed Renner's performance (and that's just because Shannon is an amazing actor). Most other actors would not have been as good as Jeremy in this particular role.

Awesome fucking film. Go see it now:2cents:

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw Wind River. Can't say I thought it was as good as you say, but I would give it an A-.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wind River: 5/5 stars. The 10th film of all time that I have awarded a perfect 5/5 score to.

Basically; everything about this movie works, from the acting, to the cinematography, to the bleak and snowy Wyoming landscape, to the thematic content, to the Nick Cave soundtrack, to the "brutal and shocking" violence (Richard Roeper's words- which describe the violence dead on), and to; most of all, the tension that builds up and boils over throughout scenes in the movie (in particular, one scene stands out above the rest. Probably the most intense shit I have ever sat through while watching any form of cinema.)

As many of you may have gleaned from reading my reviews, I am big on actors and put a lot of weight regarding their performances into how much I enjoy a film.

I previously told @mr.hockey4242 a couple of days ago when he mentioned this film in this thread that I am not a huge fan of Jeremy Renner, which was an accurate statement at the time. I did not hate him, there are far worse actors, but I often regard him more as a side-piece than a main character (but then, even his role in the MCU as whatever fucking lame hero he claims to be is stupid to me), which is probably the reason I am not huge on The Hurt Locker (3/5 stars). Before today, I figured that the best you can get from Renner is a forgettable but not very significant role like in Arrival (5/5 stars). Anything more than that, and you risk some Town (1.5/5 stars) shit (which isn't a terrible performance from him, and I appreciate his ballsiness. Actually, the more that I think about it, the more I think he wasn't so bad so much as the movie fucking blew).

After seeing Wind River today, my whole opinion of the guy has changed. He's not like one of my favorite actors now or anything, but he captured lightening in a bottle with his performance in Wind River. He's usually a pretty stoic character in his films, but he does show vulnerability and then, later, strength in his performance. I actually think his character, Cory, is a little more nuanced a character than he appears at first. Renner pulled the shit off, so I have to give credit where credit is due.

As an aside, I remember reading the film's premise, and then sitting in the theater watching the first 10 minutes of the movie and thinking "Michael Shannon would have been 10 times better portraying Renner's character." While I do think that Shannon could have been just as good as Cory, I do not think he would have surpassed Renner's performance (and that's just because Shannon is an amazing actor). Most other actors would not have been as good as Jeremy in this particular role.

Awesome fucking film. Go see it now:2cents:

Yup. Like I said we knew he could write but now he's proven he can direct an amazing film with it.

Disagree on Shannon in the role. That guy is awesome but I can't envision him as the Corey character. Renner nailed it and was perfectly cast. Pine who wasn't originally signed on was another great choice but glad it was Renner.

I'm with you about casting/acting being a huge part of a film being good. All of Sheridans movies have nailed it so far(first two he probably didn't cast at all though).

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. Like I said we knew he could write but now he's proven he can direct an amazing film with it.

Disagree on Shannon in the role. That guy is awesome but I can't envision him as the Corey character. Renner nailed it and was perfectly cast. Pine who wasn't originally signed on was another great choice but glad it was Renner.

I'm with you about casting/acting being a huge part of a film being good. All of Sheridans movies have nailed it so far(first two he probably didn't cast at all though).
I only made the claim when I had heard that the film's main character was some hunter motherfucker who is trying to solve a murder. That sounded right up Shannon's wheelhouse.

The actual character, however, was very different from what I heard/envisioned, and I only mentioned that Shannon could do the role out of respect for the dude because I believe he can portray any motherfucker on screen. But he most likely would not be my first choice for this role.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*Stared at The Mummy 2017. Slowly closed eyes*
"Fine...."
*Watched movie*

Conclusion, Tom Cruise can still run. No thumbs up from me.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Third Man: 1/5 stars. Watched this film yesterday after I rented it from Amazon. Pretty fucking bad, and it is hailed as one of the greatest films ever. Orson Welles is (surprisingly) a very good villain, but he has like 10 fucking minutes of screen time. Ebert called him one of the greatest villains in cinematic history- the fuck??? Even if he had 50 minutes of screen time, I doubt I'd go that far.

The broad in the film (can't remember her name/too lazy to look it up) was a very average actress.

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Third Man: 1/5 stars. Watched this film yesterday after I rented it from Amazon. Pretty fucking bad, and it is hailed as one of the greatest films ever. Orson Welles is (surprisingly) a very good villain, but he has like 10 fucking minutes of screen time. Ebert called him one of the greatest villains in cinematic history- the fuck??? Even if he had 50 minutes of screen time, I doubt I'd go that far.

The broad in the film (can't remember her name/too lazy to look it up) was a very average actress.

How old are you? That can be a factor in watching old movies that have been proclaimed great.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How old are you? That can be a factor in watching old movies that have been proclaimed great.
I am 20. I don't think that age would matter much in watching any film- there are many movies that are older that I really enjoy

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*Stared at The Mummy 2017. Slowly closed eyes*
"Fine...."
*Watched movie*

Conclusion, Tom Cruise can still run. No thumbs up from me.
His next film is American Made and the preview looked very interesting.

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw "Tulip Fever" today. Nothing special. Worth the price of admission and that's about it. Nice cast. Alicia Vikander is hot.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw Logan Lucky.

My wife said it was a better movie than she thought but not as funny as she was hoping. The movie points out the contradiction in making a redneck Oceans 11. Its not sexy being white trash but sometimes people are unlucky and America fails unlucky people. I suspect this movie night come and go but I really like it.

A-

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Founder.

Ray Kroc was a dick!

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple movies

Collateral Beauty 4/10

It was really hard to grab my attention from the get-go and keep it. I was expecting something a little different.

Allied 7/10

About what I expected. Don't know what else to say about it. Another Bad Pitt WW2 movie.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Founder

Decent movie, but I had a real problem with the resolution scene...

Why would the brothers accept Ray's word? The whole reason they were in the situation they were in was because Ray's word worth exactly squat. Maybe they were dumb enough to agree to the "handshake" clause, but wouldn't their lawyer chime in at that point?

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baywatch (2017)

Eh. Not terrible. Nothing really going for it, though. Without The Rock and Zac Efron, this movie is nothing. And an 'R' rated Baywatch movie but no titties?

Grade: C

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blow Out: 2/5 stars. The first half of the film was really good, but the second half had me thinking "WTF," as in; what the fuck was Brian De Palma and co. thinking?

Seriously, they took a very interesting mystery and suspenseful coverup, and turned it into a plot about some deranged guy covering up loose ends. The shit with the subway, then Travolta driving his Jeep around Philly, and then killing the guy was laughable in its plausibility, and devoid of any suspense.

I did like Travolta's performance a lot; did not like Nancy Allen's.

I never realized how much 1981 John Travolta looks like Jerry Seinfeld.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched Blue Lagoon last night for first time in over 30 years.

Holy shit! First, how were they able to film that movie in the late 70s? Second, how is Hulu able to post it without breaking child-pron laws? There was a 10(ish) year old boy and an 8(ish) year old girl running around with full frontal for a good portion of the first 30 mins or so of the movie. I understand that all of Brook Shields' scenes were done with body doubles (she was 14/15 during the filming), but I thought you still were unable to PORTRAY underage sex/nudity?

Ok, despite that, it was still an engrossing movie, even 37 years after release. The ending was hard to believe, though. 6 or 7 years after the accident and the father/uncle just happens to bump into them on the day they NEED to be rescued? Minor gripe, but still...

Overall, still a decent movie. 7/10

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched Blue Lagoon last night for first time in over 30 years.

Holy shit! First, how were they able to film that movie in the late 70s? Second, how is Hulu able to post it without breaking child-pron laws? There was a 10(ish) year old boy and an 8(ish) year old girl running around with full frontal for a good portion of the first 30 mins or so of the movie. I understand that all of Brook Shields' scenes were done with body doubles (she was 14/15 during the filming), but I thought you still were unable to PORTRAY underage sex/nudity?

Ok, despite that, it was still an engrossing movie, even 37 years after release. The ending was hard to believe, though. 6 or 7 years after the accident and the father/uncle just happens to bump into them on the day they NEED to be rescued? Minor gripe, but still...

Overall, still a decent movie. 7/10

Pretty Baby is even worse. I can't remember the year, but she's a teen in a brothel with enough nudity to get everyone arrested by today's standards.