• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last Movie You Watched (no spoilers)

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Imitation Game (2014)

This is like Great Britain's Hidden Figures. This is based on a true story and framed after the main events take place. It's a really good movie, and I'm a sucker for British stuff and period pieces. Apparently, they played a little too loose with the historical facts which makes me knock it down a half step.

A-

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The King's Speech (2010)

This won Best Actor, Best Lead Actor, Best Director, and Best Original Screenplay at the 2011 Academy Awards. I really loved this movie. I couldn't find anything wrong with it, for what it was. Some critics were bothered by omission of some realities, but it's 2 hours long and already deep; I see why you wouldn't delve further into Britain's role and appeasement before they join the war - especially if it doesn't add to the plot. And like I mentioned, I'm biased towards British stuff and period pieces, so:

A

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Imitation Game (2014)

This is like Great Britain's Hidden Figures. This is based on a true story and framed after the main events take place. It's a really good movie, and I'm a sucker for British stuff and period pieces. Apparently, they played a little too loose with the historical facts which makes me knock it down a half step.

A-

The King's Speech (2010)

This won Best Actor, Best Lead Actor, Best Director, and Best Original Screenplay at the 2011 Academy Awards. I really loved this movie. I couldn't find anything wrong with it, for what it was. Some critics were bothered by omission of some realities, but it's 2 hours long and already deep; I see why you wouldn't delve further into Britain's role and appeasement before they join the war - especially if it doesn't add to the plot. And like I mentioned, I'm biased towards British stuff and period pieces, so:

A

I like your reviews, BigFin. They are well thought-out

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like your reviews, BigFin. They are well thought-out

Thanks. I try to keep them to just a few sentences. And I'm going to the letter grading system instead of 0-10 w/0.25 increments. An 8.50 vs an 8.75? That's too tough to think about sometimes.

All these movies I'm now reviewing in my unwatched Bluray/DVD backlog should get B-'s, at minimum, from me. I only selected movies that I heard good things about. Most I plucked for under $10 at some blu-ray bin.

Your Name. is still in many American theaters. I just ordered all of Makoto Shinkai's other movies from Amazon. (4 BR + 1 DVD). A pet peeve of mine are movies that are needlessly long, so I suspect I'll really like his films, as you can see below. They're mostly all considered some of the best anime works since 2000.

Your Name. (2016) .............................................107 min.
Garden Of Words (2013) .......................................45 min.
Children Who Chase Lost Voices (2011) .................116 min.
5 Centimeters Per Second (2007) ...........................63 min.
The Place Promised In Our Early Days (2004)......... 90 min.
Voices Of A Distant Star (2002) ..............................25 min.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malcolm X: 2/5 stars. Certainly does not succeed as an autobiography of the man- too slow-moving, just bouncing from speech to speech. It's unrealized ideology could have revolved around Malcolm's tiredness of the Nation of Islam, or religion in general after Elijah Muhammed was outed as basically a hypocrite. That would have been more interesting, but I don't know that it would have been faithful to history. The only reason I think that is because at the very end, when Malcolm is about to get shot, it appears that he could have ducked, but he almost half-smiles and accepts getting shot and killed. That was pretty cool- like he was tired of living a lie in the name of religion and prejudice.

Note that I'm one of the more left-leaning guys on these boards, and I can say without doubt that Malcolm X was a racist. I'm not saying his history and legacy should be ignored, but it should be recognized for what it was rooted in- prejudice and hatred of whites. (Though, if the movie was historically accurate, he was not the violent person I've been told he was).

#TeamMLK

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FINALLY saw Arrival...

Very good. A nice mix of both Interstellar and Contact although I still think I like both of those better.

A definite thinking mans science fiction.

Amy Adams and Forrest Whitaker are good in this.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched the Jungle Book remake.

Not bad.

Strong cast of voices.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't seen a movie in a while, because ADHD is a pain in the ass, but finally was able to finish one this weekend.

Split: 4/5 stars. Pretty great movie, with a particularly awesome performance from James McAvoy. Anya Taylor-Joy, the main female character who was trapped, gave a great performance too. Her character was well-written. I can't tell you how excited I am for the final film in the Unbreakable trilogy. I saw Unbreakable in 2012-ish, and have waited 5 years to be told there would be a most-deserving sequel. With Willis and Samuel L. Jackson reported to return, it is my most-anticipated unreleased film.

I hope they bring McAvoy back as well- maybe have Mr. Glass and him team up and battle David. I can't praise his performance enough in this film- while it's not in Heath Ledger Joker territory, it's definitely up there, probably top 10, in super villain portrayals.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't seen a movie in a while, because ADHD is a pain in the ass, but finally was able to finish one this weekend.

Split: 4/5 stars. Pretty great movie, with a particularly awesome performance from James McAvoy. Anya Taylor-Joy, the main female character who was trapped, gave a great performance too. Her character was well-written. I can't tell you how excited I am for the final film in the Unbreakable trilogy. I saw Unbreakable in 2012-ish, and have waited 5 years to be told there would be a most-deserving sequel. With Willis and Samuel L. Jackson reported to return, it is my most-anticipated unreleased film.

I hope they bring McAvoy back as well- maybe have Mr. Glass and him team up and battle David. I can't praise his performance enough in this film- while it's not in Heath Ledger Joker territory, it's definitely up there, probably top 10, in super villain portrayals.
The third flick will be called "Glass" and all three are reported to be coming back for it.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The King's Speech (2010)

This won Best Actor, Best Lead Actor, Best Director, and Best Original Screenplay at the 2011 Academy Awards. I really loved this movie. I couldn't find anything wrong with it, for what it was.
Thats pretty much how I view it, too. I enjoyed the Social Network more the first time but I think The King's Speech is better for repeat viewings just because the characters are more likable and the acting is superb. I think its a worthy Movie of the Year.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The third flick will be called "Glass" and all three are reported to be coming back for it.
Yeah, I saw that after I looked at the film on Wikipedia. Sweet.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flight (2012)

This is a tricky one to score for me. It starts as a story about Cpt. Whittaker's heroics, but it's really a story about addiction - and a pretty good one. It's a little bit simple and ultimately predictable, with a nice coming-to-Jesus moment at the end. To many, it's probably just as famous for Nadine Velazquez being nude at the very beginning of the film. (And for a lengthy period of time, as far as Hollywood nude scenes go)

B+

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flight (2012)

This is a tricky one to score for me. It starts as a story about Cpt. Whittaker's heroics, but it's really a story about addiction - and a pretty good one. It's a little bit simple and ultimately predictable, with a nice coming-to-Jesus moment at the end. To many, it's probably just as famous for Nadine Velazquez being nude at the very beginning of the film. (And for a lengthy period of time, as far as Hollywood nude scenes go)

B+
I gave Flight 4.5/5 stars. I fucking loved it. Excellent portrayal of addiction, and ultimately, redemption for me.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Split

M Night Shamalamadingdong is back! Movie wouldn't have worked without James McAvoy though. Phenomenal performance. Not M Night's best work, but it was damn good.
I agree. Not as good as Unbreakable (4.5/5 stars), but his second best movie to me (I'm in the minority in that I don't like The Sixth Sense (1.5/5 stars). Signs (3/5 stars) was decent. Haven't bothered watching anything else from him)

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw Passengers.

The fundamental problem with this movie is that it didnt know if it wanted to be a sci fi movie or a date movie. I think the secondary problem for the movie is that having any knowledge of the movie (like seeing the trailer) ruins it.

The first act is a movie about permanent adolescence and the emptiness of millennial existence in a technological world that ignores humanity and probably should have been scored with a Radiohead soundtrack. The third act is a sci fi big budget action movie that feels more Toby Keith with the guy saving the day and trying to win back his woman while both people die multiple times but somehow walk it off because 'movie love'.

But that 2nd act is just really, really awkward. Downright creepy and the movie doesn't make it believable. The movie really should end with Pratt ejecting himself into space while humming Fake Plastic Trees and not busting into the pod.

Ultimately the movie saves itself in the third act by turning into space Titanic. Everyman turned sex symbol Pratt gets his everywoman turned sex symbol Lawrence and the movie is just barely romantic enough to get you laid at the end of the night.

This really had the potential to be something great and it wasn't. I think to make it a good movie, you would start the movie with Lawrence waking up, wandering around, eventually finding Pratt, have her interview Pratt, he does some backstory and then eventually she finds out what he did. At least that way you can integrate the first and second act. As is, Pratt doing what he did is completely unbelievable.

C+

Last edited:

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mulholland Drive: 3/5 stars.
The film makes absolutely no sense. I still enjoyed it quite a bit given that. But it made no sense, and it wasn't supposed to I don't think.

TemptressToo

The Godmother
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,242.61
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Split

M Night Shamalamadingdong is back! Movie wouldn't have worked without James McAvoy though. Phenomenal performance. Not M Night's best work, but it was damn good.
Watched it this weekend. Very much enjoyed.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched it this weekend. Very much enjoyed.
I haven't seen it yet, but it is pretty high on my must-see list.

I will be flying cross country on Friday. Hopefully Delta has it in their library by then. They didn't have it last weekend...

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sandy Wexler

Down at the bottom of Adam Sandler movies.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen it yet, but it is pretty high on my must-see list.

I will be flying cross country on Friday. Hopefully Delta has it in their library by then. They didn't have it last weekend...
It's amazing, but one of the cooler parts has already been spoiled to you. Don't worry (and not to spoil it any further), but it's not a main sticking point. The movie is awesome in its own right.