• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Football Thread

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was one more play where I had a question. Let me know if you want me to upload a video.

Aiyuk caught it for first down (1 yard past 1st down), but then Dallas pushed him backwards after the catch.

Why didn't they say he was still short of first down, because he was pushed?

Player with the ball gets his forward progress, so how far he goes before he is done. This is to prevent defense for basically picking up a prayer taking a bath. All the players are, especially in tandem are strong enough to pick up other players. Now, if the players almost tackled him, and he instead tries to go backwards on his own in order to create a new one for running, time is, it is down wherever he gets tackled so you can lose yards that way. Also, if you are running and you‘re out of bounds, if you were going backwards when you go out of bounds, you are down where you go out.

Last edited:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offense can only move when the ball is snapped, which is before the QB catches it. They have to start in sync.

Is wiggling side to side considered moving, even if they don't move forward one inch?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this happens in a lot of sports, after teams reach the championship series.

But why do you think the Rams were worse this year?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is wiggling side to side considered moving, even if they don't move forward one inch?

If it is something that is common to cause someone to flinch, I think they call it. It is a bit subjective or at least it is a bit technical. I see it more often in college, where somebody reacts and then points to the offense of line player.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this happens in a lot of sports, after teams reach the championship series.

But why do you think the Rams were worse this year?

It’s really hard to repeat in the NFL. Unless you are Belichick or Tom Brady. Sometimes teams have overspent in order to win one championship and then they are cap strapped. They cannot go over the cap like you can in the NBA. Sometimes, they have an experienced quarterback who leaves or gets injured. What usually common is that the loser of the Super Bowl has a poor year the next year and the champion has an OK year. This year, the last year’s loser is perhaps going to the Super Bowl, maybe (Cincinnati Bengals).

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith’s Niners got screwed by forward progress or whistle blown too early:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn’t look as bad now that I see it years later, but in the moment, it seemed really bad. Of course, I was biased. I still don’t like that rule though, even if it helps my team, I think that unless a player is being picked up or there really is a good chance for further injury, the player still trying to go forward and he fumbles. I know that you can’t pick somebody up and then just take the ball from them.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it is something that is common to cause someone to flinch, I think they call it. It is a bit subjective or at least it is a bit technical. I see it more often in college, where somebody reacts and then points to the offense of line player.

That's what happened in Sunday's game. The defensive player pointed to the offensive line player. The offensive line player had wiggled.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is to prevent defense for basically picking up a prayer taking a bath.

What does this mean? Are there rubber duckies involved?

Well, wouldn’t you want to prevent that, too? You’re not a monster. You have basic compassion for your fellow man, don’t you? The NFL rules are there to protect the American dream, ensure what’s right America. Serve God and country.

I was trying to say picking up a player and pushing him back. Or taking him back. I think you can do that in rugby? So I think all the rules of football is basically to make sure that is not become soccer or rugby. I know that there are no downs in rugby, but there’s a chance that maybe you cannot pick up a player, Drive him back, and then rip the ball from him, but I think you can.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1). What type of contact is NOT considered holding?

How do you defend without holding? What type of contact is allowed, but isn't holding?

2). How do you determine if it's a QB fumble (like in the NFC game) or pass interference? Can pass interference involve a play with the QB?

3). What's the difference between offsides, and false start?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a receiver catches the ball, then immediately can't go anywhere, because the defensive players are in front of him, so he runs out of bounds, does the clock start or stop?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1). What type of contact is NOT considered holding?

How do you defend without holding? What type of contact is allowed, but isn't holding?

it is one of those things that you know it when you see it if you watch football. There’s obviously a more technical term about where you can grab and what you cannot grab, but that’s above my pay grade. Just kidding.

I just don’t know how to explain it. There was a sequence where Patrick Mahomes gets the first down and gets pushed out of bounds being called as unnecessary roughness. Lead them to being in field-goal range.

On that play, there were two times where it looks like it was a hold, but there was an exception based upon how the defender was moving. As a policy, they had decided over the years. I guess that if I defender does this, it’s almost impossible to actually stop without holding.

But then again, it’s not a free-for-all so I would think that there’s a certain amount of leniency that you can do when somebody does the rip movement.

I think these rules were written so they can choose when they are going to enforce them when they don’t based on who they want to win the game. I think that’s called the Jordan Rules? Or, in football, the Brady rule. But rather than being for the player, it’s for the team.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2). How do you determine if it's a QB fumble (like in the NFC game) or pass interference? Can pass interference involve a play with the QB?

Do you mean incomplete pass? Because pass interference is when the ball is in the air and somebody is pushed or tackled or grabbed unfairly. There are exceptions when somebody’s accidentally or incidentally tripped, or something.

The first Niners fumble from the quarterback was because he let go of the ball before he did his throwing motion. If you’re doing your throwing motion and the ball comes out, I believe that’s considered a forward pass still. But as you can see if you watched it, the ball came out before he did his throw.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3). What's the difference between offsides, and false start?

Offsides is lining up in the wrong spot or the defense starting early. False start is the offense.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that’s called the Jordan Rules?

The Jordan Rules referred to how the Pistons defended Jordan, in beating the Bulls in the playoffs, in the late 80s.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offsides is lining up in the wrong spot or the defense starting early. False start is the offense.

Why don't they call the defense starting early, a false start too?

Also, what's an example of the wrong spot?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a receiver catches the ball, then immediately can't go anywhere, because the defensive players are in front of him, so he runs out of bounds, does the clock start or stop?

Bump.