• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Football Thread

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll read the latest posts later.

BTW, I wasn't criticizing how there's certain positions that can't score the ball. I just meant to say that it was something I didn't know about, until less than a year ago. This should have gone in the "@MHSL82, why didn't you tell me that there's certain offensive players that can't touch the ball?" thread.

I think the reasons make sense.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it a false start on the offense, when the offensive player wiggled, but didn't leave his position?

He didn't actually move forward, he just wiggled his legs.

I'll upload a video if you want me to.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has a defensive team ever tried to fake icing the kicker?

Meaning make it look like they're going to call a timeout, only for them to not to, then they can get a defensive advantage because the offense would have not really been ready to kick.

So the defensive would be coming at the kicker hard, to block it, while the kicker would have not even been trying to kick it. Only to realize, oh shoot, I have to kick it.

For example, just now, Robbie Gould knew that Dallas was going to call a timeout, so he didn't even try kicking it. What if Dallas faked him out, by not calling that timeout?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would the offensive team intentionally take a delay of game on 4th and 5, in a tie game, during the 3rd quarter?

If the offensive team were ahead by a lot, I can understand wanting to use clock. But it's a tie game.

Either make a 4th down play, or punt.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how Chris Fowler accidentally called Elijiah Mitchell, Donovan Mitchell.

He corrected himself.

It's rare that a NBA player gets love over a NFL player.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it a false start on the offense, when the offensive player wiggled, but didn't leave his position?

He didn't actually move forward, he just wiggled his legs.

I'll upload a video if you want me to.

I think to understand this we have to start with the obvious and then go from there. It would be unfair if the defense could pass the line too early. So they are required to know exactly when to start and not do so early.

The offense knows when the snap is going to be made. The defense doesn’t. The defense has to go based on the instinct. Whereas the offensive player moves early or wiggles early, that should be obvious to them that they were early. I think it be unfair if offensive players could move, and that if a defensive person jumps, it’s a penalty. I think it’s too difficult to do.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would the offensive team intentionally take a delay of game on 4th and 5, in a tie game, during the 3rd quarter?

If the offensive team were ahead by a lot, I can understand wanting to use clock. But it's a tie game.

Either make a 4th down play, or punt.

Where were they on the field? If they were right by the 40 yard line, they might want a back up so they can punt the ball to the other team and stop the ball near the opposite end zone. It’s too far for a field goal and they don’t want to turn the ball over by trying for the first down. I’ve seen teams do that and then the other team declines the penalty because they know what they are trying to get.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has a defensive team ever tried to fake icing the kicker?

Meaning make it look like they're going to call a timeout, only for them to not to, then they can get a defensive advantage because the offense would have not really been ready to kick.

So the defensive would be coming at the kicker hard, to block it, while the kicker would have not even been trying to kick it. Only to realize, oh shoot, I have to kick it.

For example, just now, Robbie Gould knew that Dallas was going to call a timeout, so he didn't even try kicking it. What if Dallas faked him out, by not calling that timeout?

I’m sure it has happened before, but it doesn’t change anything because the kicker is actually trying to get a kick. They consider that a practice kick if they do call a time out but if they don’t call a time out, then it’s the real kick. Either way you’re trying to make it.

In fact, there was a kick where they did call timeout, and the referee basically jumped to the kicker to stop him from kicking the ball. Some teams complained about referees allowing the kicker to get a practice kick in, so they are watching that. Some might say that if you don’t want that, call the time out sooner, but it’s all a game.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how Chris Fowler accidentally called Elijiah Mitchell, Donovan Mitchell.

He corrected himself.

It's rare that a NBA player gets love over a NFL player.

I love how @nuraman00 called Donovan Wilson, Elijah Mitchell.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think to understand this we have to start with the obvious and then go from there. It would be unfair if the defense could pass the line too early. So they are required to know exactly when to start and not do so early.

The offense knows when the snap is going to be made. The defense doesn’t. The defense has to go based on the instinct. Whereas the offensive player moves early or wiggles early, that should be obvious to them that they were early. I think it be unfair if offensive players could move, and that if a defensive person jumps, it’s a penalty. I think it’s too difficult to do.

Thanks. I thought the defense couldn't go until the QB catches the ball (or drops it)? If that's true, wouldn't they look/listen for the sound of the QB catching the ball?

If that's not true, then you're right. I guess the defense can't go until the offense moves first. (As long as the offense moves when they're allowed to).

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how @nuraman00 called Donovan Wilson, Elijah Mitchell.

Oops. When I heard Fowler said he messed up a name, I thought he messed up the first name, not the last name.

I hadn't paid attention to what name he messed up, nor did I rewind it on the DVR.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m sure it has happened before, but it doesn’t change anything because the kicker is actually trying to get a kick. They consider that a practice kick if they do call a time out but if they don’t call a time out, then it’s the real kick. Either way you’re trying to make it.

In fact, there was a kick where they did call timeout, and the referee basically jumped to the kicker to stop him from kicking the ball. Some teams complained about referees allowing the kicker to get a practice kick in, so they are watching that. Some might say that if you don’t want that, call the time out sooner, but it’s all a game.

Sure, but in this case, Gould didn't even attempt to do the practice kick, because he knew the timeout would be called.

So would there have been a way to catch Gould off guard, by him not even attempting to kick? He was barely doing the kicking motion. Not getting ready at all.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where were they on the field? If they were right by the 40 yard line, they might want a back up so they can punt the ball to the other team and stop the ball near the opposite end zone. It’s too far for a field goal and they don’t want to turn the ball over by trying for the first down. I’ve seen teams do that and then the other team declines the penalty because they know what they are trying to get.

4th & 5 at SF 40
(6:09 - 3rd) (Shotgun) PENALTY on DAL, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at SF 40 - No Play.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was one more play where I had a question. Let me know if you want me to upload a video.

Aiyuk caught it for first down (1 yard past 1st down), but then Dallas pushed him backwards after the catch.

Why didn't they say he was still short of first down, because he was pushed?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. I thought the defense couldn't go until the QB catches the ball (or drops it)? If that's true, wouldn't they look/listen for the sound of the QB catching the ball?

If that's not true, then you're right. I guess the defense can't go until the offense moves first. (As long as the offense moves when they're allowed to).

The offense can only move when the ball is snapped, which is before the QB catches it. They have to start in sync. Of course, the ball could be snapped to the quarterback and have no one else move besides the guy snapping it, but then he would be at a disadvantage. But I have seen a few times where the offensive line does not move because they trying to make sure that the referee calls offsides on the defense. of course, this relies on the referees agreeing. I have never seen this in the NFL.

This one is just silly:

I think this person was trying to deal with his coach said to do - maybe those who did not stay still will get in trouble in practice.