• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Diehard Pregame Breakdown: WVU vs Kentucky

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a match up that I wanted to desperately see because of the 2 styles of play. The outcome is anything but certain yet the pundits will make you believe WV has no chance. Vegas says we are a 13.5 point underdog. Charles Barkley says "WV will get pummeled". I say that you don't play the game on paper, you play it on the court. Maryland found that out last night.

Key Kentucky Notes: 36-0; By last count, KU is 15-0 against the teams in the field of 64 including wins over Hampton and Cincinnati. Kentucky uses 10 players who all can score and contribute. They block a lot of shots led by Towns at 2.4 per game. They don't commit a lot of turnovers. They use a lot of Freshman and Sophomores in the lineup.

Keys to Winning the game for WVU: Limit the mistakes/turnovers; must continue to knock down perimeter shots as the paint points should be hard to come by; Staton must drive and kick to the open man getting his teammates involved. Keep KU off the boards and crash the offensive glass. If we do these things, if gives us a chance. If we don't, we are the 13.5 dog everybody said we were.

This Kentucky team is better than the one BB and I saw in Syracuse back in 2010 when they had Wall and Cousins. They are long and can pack it in the paint and force you to hit outside shots. I am sure Kentucky has a plan to win this game. They will most likely take Towns and Cauley-Stein and try to beat the press by keeping the ball "high" and off the floor. I think Kentucky would be happy to make this a half court game but they will try to beat the press and get easy dunks. Expect KU to lob the ball around the rim all night. My question is this: Has KU seen anything like the WV pressure this year? The only thing remotely close to WV's press would be Louisville and Arkansas. KU beat the Cardinals by 8 and routed Arky by 17 and 15 points.

Fans this is going to be a monumental task to win this game but I would not want to be in any other position than what we are now with everyone giving us no chance in hell to win. What are your keys to a historic upset by the Mountaineers?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's safe to say that we're all Mountaineers fans right now. I can't wait for this game.

DrPhil58

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The keys to victory: WVU will have to play lights out the whole game; get Towns and Stein in foul trouble, maybe knock Aaron Harrison out of the game other than that I would suggest; make 75% or more in freethrows, make the easy shots, get hot at the three point line and hope Kentucky has the worst game of the season.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU shoots 50% or better, Officials let us beat up on them without calling fouls. 80% from the FT line.

We have to get in their heads and make them play WVU basketball.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was really impressed with WV this weekend. Obviously a big underdog, but a tough physical team that can shoot the 3. To keep the game close, I think they would need to change their game plan and not press. UK has 4 guards who can handle and several big men who can pass. Arkansas pressed the first time and got blown out, stuck with it the 2nd time and got the same result. Huggins and Cal go way back, I wonder if Huggins will change his style for this matchup or stick to his guns

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's safe to say that we're all Mountaineers fans right now. I can't wait for this game.

Shame on you.....though I am thinking of taking the points with bookie.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was really impressed with WV this weekend. Obviously a big underdog, but a tough physical team that can shoot the 3. To keep the game close, I think they would need to change their game plan and not press. UK has 4 guards who can handle and several big men who can pass. Arkansas pressed the first time and got blown out, stuck with it the 2nd time and got the same result. Huggins and Cal go way back, I wonder if Huggins will change his style for this matchup or stick to his guns

I have no idea. Huggs likes to tell the media his philosophy of teaching his players to do things they're good at doing... and stop doing the things they're not good at doing.

WVU is not a team that plays much zone... and has not been very good consistently at doing it. This year, he has brought out the 1-1-3 and 1-3-1... with varying degrees of success.

In the Eastern Regional Final from 2010, Huggs brought out the 1-3-1 zone. Something seldom used throughout the year... they played a switching man defense that year. But, it worked against UK.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea. Huggs likes to tell the media his philosophy of teaching his players to do things they're good at doing... and stop doing the things they're not good at doing.

WVU is not a team that plays much zone... and has not been very good consistently at doing it. This year, he has brought out the 1-1-3 and 1-3-1... with varying degrees of success.

In the Eastern Regional Final from 2010, Huggs brought out the 1-3-1 zone. Something seldom used throughout the year... they played a switching man defense that year. But, it worked against UK.
I've watched all 36 UK games this year. If I were WV, I wouldplay a half court matchup zone, pack it in and dare UK to shoot 3's. If they shoot poorly you've got a shot, if they are on, ya probably get blown out, but if they are hitting from the outside, I don't believe anyone could beat them anyway. I definitely wouldn't press them and up the tempo

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see WV doing anything differently than they have been doing. They are going to press Kentucky, play man to man, and try to make them as uncomfortable as possible. They may throw in a few zone possessions but not many if at all.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calipari has a horrible record against Huggins, so there will be no overlooking our team. I think WVU does what they do, and struggle to do anything different, and I really have no problem with that, do what you do well, play your game, and try to affect the opponent, make UK play our game. One thing I like is that everyone is saying we have no shot-historically a setup for a big WVU win. If the refs call a tight game or give UK a pass on fouls, we stand little chance, if it happens to be a BE crew who lets the game go, we just may be going to the 8!! Go Mounties!!!

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Play better defense out of the press, if they do not then we will see a lot of dunks coming down the court since Kentucky has some good ball handlers.

Keep attacking the rim, do not get timid. Kentucky is going to block some shots but you have to keep going after them.

Kentucky has more talent than WVU, but do not let them out "MAN" you, play strong and physical.

Make the free ones-----they are free we should hit more than we have.

We have to be on offensively, no doubt about it.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Wv needs to make this game as ugly as possible...make Kentucky beat them at the Free Throw line...

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Slaton. We need to be ugly aggressive, get into their heads early. Expect them to beat the press several times and get the dunk. That is OK with me if we are able to cause the turnover 1 of 3 times. When they get the ball in the half court offense, they will score on us nearly every time. Our best chance is to see the press be successful and get the turnovers.

I wanna see Holton and Cauley Stein punch it out on the floor. Make them lose their composure.

On thing for certain. With Huggs as our coach, you can't count us out.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the twins are good ball handlers. So, it will be interesting to see how they'll fare against the press.

I can think of only 1 game that the press was non-productive... and that was the OU game in Norman. There was no energy in the press that night.

I loved how Huggy changed the press in the Maryland game. The key to the press working will be the foul trouble of Williams, Holton and Adrian. Williams protects the back of the press. He is a much better decision maker back there than Macon... and Watkins is hurt.. so his play is limited. Holton and Adrian not only put a long body on the inbound... but, select where and when to trap.

WVU has been shooting the 3 ball so much more consistently in the last month of the season. If they can hit some three's and spread out the UK defenders... it will open up a lot of space on the court. UK is not a good defensive rebounding team... WVU is an excellent offensive rebounding team.

It is a match up nightmare for WVU... but... like slaton stated... the uglier this game gets... the better it is for WVU to shock the world.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you think Kentucky is not a good defensive rebounding team? 7th in the country in defensive rebounds and third in the country scoring defense. We have about 100 more offensive rebounds than they do, they have about 300 more defensive rebounds than us.

Even if they are giving up a lot of second chances they are not giving up many second chance points....so far I believe they are holding opponents to 36% from field.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are 14 other teams in this field that I would rather play. But you know what? To be the best, you have to play and beat the best. We are getting that opportunity now. And think what an opportunity it is? An opportunity to tell your kids, "I coached or played on a team that beat Kentucky when they were 36-0". This is a game that will define your life if you are in anyway associated with this WV team. Coaches, ball boys, players, trainers, etc. ---all have a valuable stake in this game. Make no mistake about it, WV will be ready to play. I am sure the WV clubhouse knows all to well what this can mean. If the preparation and game plan is right, we can win this game and shock the world.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are 14 other teams in this field that I would rather play. But you know what? To be the best, you have to play and beat the best. We are getting that opportunity now. And think what an opportunity it is? An opportunity to tell your kids, "I coached or played on a team that beat Kentucky when they were 36-0". This is a game that will define your life if you are in anyway associated with this WV team. Coaches, ball boys, players, trainers, etc. ---all have a valuable stake in this game. Make no mistake about it, WV will be ready to play. I am sure the WV clubhouse knows all to well what this can mean. If the preparation and game plan is right, we can win this game and shock the world.

Gets you pumped up just thinking about it. LETS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been getting picked on all week by Maryland fans pissed off that we beat them. Watch out if I can come in Friday after a win.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DCWV4life---since you are in my neck of the woods--you are welcome to travel to Manassas and watch the game with me. 65 inch Ultra HD 4k TV, a fridge full of beer, lots of liquer, and a pass out room chilled to 64 degrees to eliminate the bed spins. LoL

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you think Kentucky is not a good defensive rebounding team? 7th in the country in defensive rebounds and third in the country scoring defense. We have about 100 more offensive rebounds than they do, they have about 300 more defensive rebounds than us.

Even if they are giving up a lot of second chances they are not giving up many second chance points....so far I believe they are holding opponents to 36% from field.

Something is wrong. All of the talking heads on TV and radio have repeatedly mentioned UK is ranked in the 200's in defensive rebounding. When I go to NCAA.com… I see the numbers quite differently. But, I cannot imagine every single talking head could be that wrong.

They repeatedly talk about WVU's offensive rebounding excellence vs UK defensive rebounding problems, and how this could be a huge advantage for WVU.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we do have a shot in this game, UK has better talent, but Huggins gets inside Calipari's head in a big way, if WVU can limit mistakes, shoot reasonably well, and play OUR game on defense, Huggins can deliver, like you say, make them uncomfortable, especially Calipari