• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Diehard Breakdown: WVU 92 Kansas 86

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice game by the Mountaineers today and certainly the biggest win of the season to forge their record to 17-14. A regular season record which is a little disappointing considering some of the loses such as VT early in the season. Nonetheless, this team has fight and they are still kicking and alive for an NCAA berth. Certainly drawing Texas on Thursday in the first round of the Big 12 Tourney in Kansas City doesn't help but don't they say it is hard to beat a team 3 times in one season? Ever who made that statement never saw how poorly WV matches up with Texas in the paint. Worst possible draw we could get.

As for today, Devin Williams was beast hitting his first 7 shots of the game today in route to a 22 point 13 rebound performance. Where has that been all year? Wv took control of this game early and led throughout the game pushing its lead to 25 points with about 13 minutes left in the game. Then Wiggins and Kansas came roaring back but never could get over the top and Mountaineers held on. Harris led the Mountaineers today with 28 points while Staten does what he does night in and night out--24 points 5 rebounds and 9 assists. WVU blistered the nets in the first half shooting 63% and finished the game shooting 52% and connecting on an impressive 9-16 behind the 3 point line. WV wins the battle of the glass today 37-31.

DIEHARD'S DID YOU KNOW SEGMENT: Andrew Wiggins is probably the best player in the country and today's 41 points were one of the top performances in the 44 history of the Coliseum. In fact, Wiggins effort today was the 8th most points ever scored in the Coliseum.

Hey, it is a great day to be a Mountaineer because we beat a good team today, an elite team today. Kansas might have been missing a big man and already wrapped up the Big 12 title and #1 seed in the Big 12 Tourney but you would not have known that when they cut the lead to 5 points today. They wanted to win because a loss would and will jeopardize a #1 Ncca seeding. So I take nothing away from our guys after this win--they earned it. I will say this--add another big man to this club next year and they could win 25 games. This is going to be a really, really good team next year. have a great day Mountaineer fans wherever your country road has taken you this Sunday morning!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great win for WVU yesterday! I received so many texts and emails from locals in Syracuse congratulating me!

Maybe WVU's coaches and players can watch film of yesterday's TT game against Texas to figure out how to match up with them.

Is TT more physical underneath than WVU?

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas Tech is more physical underneath, but they can not match our speed as well as Texas does.

Tonight's game sowed up a NIT birth. Currently #82 RPI, and a first round Big 12 matchup with Texas. I think 2 more wins are needed for the big dance. That's a tall order, especially opening with Texas, but it is doable. The shame of a 10 team conference is no 6 v 11 matchup to boost the RPI, like the old Big East had with 16 teams, 15 of which were quality teams.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The kids needed that one for some momentum, be nice to ride this to a couple of wins in the conference tourney.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is their any chance we go dancing without winning the B12 tourney?

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably need 3 wins in the Tourney. Too many teams like GW hanging around with 23 wins in weaker conferences that would cry foul.

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the win at Home versus Kansas, we have sown up an NIT birth.

If we beat Texas, we will likely get an NIT 2 seed. A loss puts us at a 5 seed. Ironically, we'd likely play Illinois right now, which can not play at home. Kind of cool, we are looking at another home game.

With the Texas upset, it may bring home a West Virginia high school player to finish his collegiate career, Florida Gulf Coast, which garnered a NIT at-large by winning the A-Sun regular season. Chase Fieler, from Parkersburg South, plays for FGCU. I believe FGCU gets a low 7 seed. If we get Texas and lose to OU, we'd get a high 2. That would be a fun game to see in the Coliseum!

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although we're likely to end up in the NIT, until we're eliminated, I'm still clinging on to the small chance that we go to the Big Dance haha. Seriously though, we're playing TX on a neutral floor and if we can find a way to get by them, there's only 1 other team that we could face that we haven't beat at least once this season (Okey State is the other and IMO, we let both of those get away from us). We seen the 04-05 team ride their way to the Elite 8 on a hot streak that started in the Big East tourney...so you never know! That's why I LOVE March Madness!

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the NIT isn't so bad. A group of young Mountaineers won the NIT. They later turned that into a final four.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care if this team plays in the NCAA, NIT, CBI or the basketball for the hungry Tournament in the Sudan. I just want to see continual improvement. I think we have seen improvement albeit not as much as we all would have liked. This team has suffered all year long from being able to score and defend around the rim. Did you notice how well we shot the ball from behind the arc against Kansas when our big man goes for 22 and 13? 9-16 behind arc was a result of that inside presence. If we can get consistent play in the paint, this team will exceed all of our expectations. I really think next years squad has a chance to be very very special and compete for a Big 12 title.