• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Diehard Breakdown: WVU 72 SDSU 50

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes a poor performance in one game can lead to a great performance in the next game. Tonight WV was not great but was certainly better as they win the Championship of the Las Vegas Continental Tire Invitational. WV used a 15-0 run in the first half to run out to a 34-26 halftime lead. SDSU used a double team on Devon Williams for most of the game to limit him to 10 points and 9 rebounds but the Mountaineers posted 5 players in double figures on this evening. The Mountaineers did not shoot it well but 43% and a stifling defense will win most games for them. WV created 21 turnovers as SDSU never figured out the press until it was too late for them to overcome the deficit. The Mountaineers hit the glass tonight out rebounding the Aztecs 42-28 while collecting 13 steals.

Overall, a better performance from WV especially defensively as they seemed more active on both ends of the floor. Jaysean Paige (10 pts) and Jonathon Holton (12pts) both played particularly well this evening with Paige hitting a couple of timely 3's and Holton contributing offensively as well. Daxter Miles, Jr. led the Mountaineers in scoring with 14 while Devon Carter chipped in 12 points.

So onward the Mountaineers march into the 2015-16 season. Next up are the 1-5 Owls of Kennesaw State and with a week to rest up, WV should have no issues improving on their 6-0 record. Have a great week Mountaineer fans where ever your country road has taken you this Holiday!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paige is the best guard on the team. Unfortunately, he makes too many stupid fouls.

He is the best outside threat, and showed last night he has the best speed off the dribble. He blew past his defender to finish at the rim on a nice reverse layup.

I thought Huggs came up with a great game plan for the Aztecs. They are an offensively challenged group, so I loved the half court trap. The kids did a nice job rotating under it to cut off passing lanes. Obviously, against a good outside shooting team… you leave yourself vulnerable if a team beats the trap. But, that was no problem last night.

I liked the team's energy last night. Fun game to watch… much moreso than the night before.

What the hell is up with Cal? I guess that is why the HC was fired from Tennessee…

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB--Cal has a tremendous talent inside but the Coach hasn't let the other players on the team know. Richmond on the other hand knew they had a great player and kept getting him the ball. I think he finished with 34. The best game of the year will be WV and UVA. This will be be must watch basketball as I expect a good one. If GW can beat UVA, WV can certainly beat them as well.