• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Diehard Breakdown: WVU 66 Baylor 64

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you ever played a basketball game and won but went home and felt like you lost? I have done that as a player and now I think I watched one as a spectator. It is hard to explain that feeling just as it is hard to understand how a team can get 16 more shots at the hoop because of the unforced turnovers from their opponent. Baylor committed 17 turnovers tonight and we dodged a late bullet as the Bears hit a 3 to win the game but the clock had just barely expired as the ball left the shooters hands. Now keep in mind, WV had an 8 point lead with 7 minutes to play but then came the let down on defense or a quick shot or a missed timely free throw. For whatever reason, this team gets complacent with the lead and won’t put their foot on the opponents throat when they need to.
Yet, a win is always a win and on the road it is even more special in the Big 12. I don’t put much credence in this win though because a) we tried to give the game away late AGAIN and b) this Baylor team is not the same without the point guard they have had the last 2 years (Walton, I believe). I didn’t like Huggs trapping the ball late and leaving another white guy open to bang 3’s. I just don’t understand that move in a game where the 3 ball is really the only thing that gets you back in it. Of course, Heslip hit it late and got ‘em back.
Key Stats: WV gets destroyed on the glass again 37-27 but had 16 assists to only 6 turnovers. Shooting the basketball tonight for WV was pedestrian as best: 40% from the field and 8-23 from behind the arc. FT shooting was great except for Staton as he had all 5 of the WV misses. Scoring was balanced as Staton had 15 to go along with 9 assists, Dibo came off the bench and played great with 13, Harris and Henderson round it out with 12 and 11 respectively.
In the DIEHARD”S DID YOU KNOW Segment: Did you know that Baylor has now lost 5 in a row and stand at 1-6 in the conference after being ranked 10th in the country early in the year? Speaks volumes about the strength of this conference in my opinion.
In conclusion, glad to see a road win and I am still waiting for this team to get that killer instinct. I will make a bold statement here: Jawan Staton is going play at the next level. He hit the winner tonight on a late drive to the hoop with 3.1 seconds to play. My reasoning is speed. Coast to coast he can match Chris Paul. I guess the only question is can he shoot well enough. Have a great day Mountaineer fans and stay warm wherever your Country Road has taken you!

aussierugbyfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
understand what you are saying but........

I am a glass is half full kind of person :suds:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I felt similarly to you. I didn't really enjoy the win tonight. As you said, I hated the switch to the trap zone defense. Hated that they left Heslip wide open at a crucial moment. Hated watching Staten struggle at the line. Hated that nobody but Staten could dribble penetrate. Hated that our guard could not stop dribble penetration.

But, this was a big win for this team. Don't know how many more close losses the team's psyche could handle.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With this team Ill take every one they can get, I was guessing 12 wins all year so.. House money at this point IYAM. I give credit to Huggs after criticizing him earlier ( note: my BIGGEST concern will be if the recruiting gets better meaning getting kids eligible and keeping them) the team seems to be headed in the right direction, I just don't know how talented they are. Scrappy/sloppy wins like this may help in their development and maturity.. Lets hope.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they have talent GR, they just need to grow up. This is a really young team. The inside game will improve as they literally "grow up" and get bigger and stronger.