• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Diehard Breakdown: WV 91 George Mason 65

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A pretty impressive performance by the Mountaineers tonight as they demolish George Mason who committed 24 turnovers. Those turnovers allowed WV to get 72 FG tries tonight of which they connected on 32 and shoot 44% for the game. The big story here in Puerto Rico tonight was the relentless pressure the Mountaineers maintained for the entire game. It certainly befuddled George Mason as they never really recovered from the 1st half pressure and trailed 53-27 at the half.

WV was led in scoring by Devin Williams whose posts another double-double with 16points and 10 rebounds while Jonathon Holton knocks down 16 and grabs 7 rebounds. Juwan Staten adds 13 points with 4 assists. Even more impressive for this Mountaineer group was the fact that 11 players got into the scoring column.

Tonight, I finally got a chance to see a full game and look at the make up of this team. I gotta tell you, I am excited as ever after what I saw tonight. We can bring 10-11 guys at you and press for 40 minutes. Another thing that stuck out to me was the attitude. This team is hungry and has enough talent to give the Big 12 fits. WV needs to get polished and hone its rotation but the upside here looks really good. My concerns are with teams that know how to break a press and make you pay for it. I also think we need to be a little better in the half court set although we do move the ball around quickly. I do think at some point, Chase Conner is going to be needed to zone bust and get some more accurate 3 point shooting in the half court set. So expect to him slid into future games for 2-3 minute stints. Another observation was Holton who I think is a beast inside. He is long and hustles around the glass and on defense. You couple that with Williams inside and we have a pretty good 1-2 punch in the middle. Williams has certainly improved since last year and will give us a steady 10-12 points and 8-10 rebounds night in and night out.

So tune in tomorrow at 5pm EST for round 2 of the Puerto Rico Classic where the Mountaineers will take on Boston College in the semi finals. This will be a good test for WV as BC has one of the best guards in the country. Have a great evening Mountaineer fans wherever you are this cold and chilly evening!