• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Diehard Breakdown: Kansas State 78 WVU 56

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well there was not much here in this game as WV continued its struggles in the Big 12. After winning two road games to start conference play, the Mountaineers have now dropped 3 in a row. The shooting woes continue for the Mountaineers as they shoot a dismall 32% from the game and make 4-15 behind the arc. WV is now 8-40 behind the arc in the last 2 games. That further proves my theory, you live and die by the 3 point shot—meaning you make ‘em and win and you don’t and you will lose.
The biggest thing for me here today was the bench as WV gets 6 points from Gary Browne as the only contributor. WV held its own on the glass winning the battle 33-32. Keep in mind KState didn’t miss many shots as they shoot 54% for the game from the field. WV had 15 turnovers today and an uncharacteristically 7 from Staten. Again, I think it all boils down to defense and this team doesn’t move its feet well, doesn’t box out well, and doesn’t switch well. Many issues on the defensive side of the ball are taking wins from this club right now. Scoring mostly came from Harris (21 points) and Staten (16 points). I think the rest of this team just put their jersey on and showed up for pictures because not much contribution came from anyone else.
In conclusion, this was another anemic performance accentuated by poor shooting, poor defense, and turnovers. Obviously, the game plan and strategy isn’t working right now. May I suggest a different approach? I wish I knew what that approach that is but I don’t. Interior experience and interior scoring is killing us as we rely on too many outside shots. When this pattern occurs, it’s time to play Helter Skelter basketball: Relentless pressing and trapping for 40 minutes. That may be the only way to get higher percentage shots. I know this, what we are doing now ISNT WORKING.
Finally, a new segment: DIEHARD”S DID YOU KNOW? Do you remember Dalton Pepper? Do you know who he is playing for now? Dalton transferred from WV after posting some good numbers and tough play as a Freshman. Today, Pepper has 15 points, 3 3 pointers, and 5 rebounds for the Temple Owls in 40 minutes of action. Kind of makes you wish he was still around huh? Have a great day Mountaineer Fans wherever your country road has taken you!

aussierugbyfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was painful to watch.

I remember him but why did Dalton Peppers leave?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was painful to watch.

I remember him but why did Dalton Peppers leave?

I believe the reason given was the health of his father. He was from the Philly area.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team cannot play defense. They cannot play man. They are completely lost playing zone. When they play man, the help defense is so concerned with the on-ball defender losing his man, that he sags deep… almost into the lane. It is painful. WVU has not been able to stop dribble penetration since Maz graduated.

With no inside game, it places too much pressure on our perimeter players. And, since Staten is the only good ball handler among the guards, no one can create space on their own to get their shot. Harris and Henderson should be able to beat a kid off the dribble, but neither are skilled enough to do so.

It is going to be a long season in the Big 12.

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Young team, still learning the system and how to play together - especially on defense.
Offensively they look a little better but they could improve there as well.

Overall, a much better team than last year but still have a long way to go.
Not sure they can gel and pull it together in time to make it to the big dance.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of things going against them. youth, not very strong in middle...not to mention that there are 6 teams from the Big 12 ranked in the top 25.

Interesting to think that we came from what many think was the strongest BBall conf to the Big 12 and we are struggling. WVU has never been a bball powerhouse, but after that Final Four run many, including myself, thought this might be a turning of the tides.

I still think this is some of the best talent he has brought to WVU, once he has the full team next year we may be able to compete in the conf.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we still had Hinds and Murray, we may have had a chance this year. Right now it looks like another lost year.

Really, this is a result of Huggs recruiting good athletes with less than average character. It worked well at Cinci, but has not panned out these last couple of years.

If we were still in the Big East, we would still be in the cellar. Not enough experience, not enough size for us to compete. We always have next year.