• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Diehard Breakdown: Gonzaga 80 WVU 76

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our beloved Mountaineers played a decent game tonight but much like the football team—they managed to find a funk late in the game and let it get away as the Zags prevail 80-76.The first half saw the Mountaineers shoot a very pedestrian 37.5% while Eron Harris was a one man gang pouring in 18 points on 6-10 shooting including 4-6 from behind the arc. Harris is slowly becoming a dominate guard as he is starting to get a little “Jordanesque” in his desire to score. He can create off the dribble but still hasn’t perfected it. I believe that is the beauty that is yet to come. With Harris leading the way, WV fought and clawed its way to a 39-35 first half lead but rebounding hurt them as they gave Gonzaga 8 offensive rebounds in the half. This and poor shooting from everyone not named Harris, kept the Zags in the game.
The 2nd half started out with a back and forth flurry of makes and misses by both teams until WV heated up and took a 10 point lead with about 11 minutes to play forcing the Zags to call a TO. From that point forward, Gonzaga to over the game and made the plays good teams make to win. I said coming into this game” DON’T LET PANGOS BEAT YOU”. We held Pangos down for about 27 minutes in this game very well. He had only made 1 slop 3 early in the first half. Then Henderson fell asleep and boom—2 3’s in successive possession and the Zags are up 8 with under 2:30 to play. WV never recovered. So lets break this down a little further---Clint Eastwood Style:
The Good: Erin Harris’s 18 first half points, the 1-3-1, 17-22 from the line, only 5 turnovers for the game
The Bad: Bad shots by Staten 0-4 early in the game, untimely “horrible “ call by the ref during a Gonzaga run late in the 2nd half, Henderson hot dogging after a dunk while his man scores on the other end, not using the 1-3-1 earlier in the game, losing the battle of the glass 44-36.
The Ugly: Losing a 10 point lead in the 2nd half, Devin William taking 18 footers and shooting 3-13, 25-67 for a team shooting % of 37.3, Staten taking 14 shots –9 of which were not advisable ( should not try to be a scorer but a distributor of the ball), absolutely no presence in the middle when an opponent has a 7 footer ( Zags had a 7ft Polock wearing us out in the paint)
In conclusion, this team is still learning that you have to play 40 minutes and not 35 to beat a top 20 club. The Zags were leading the nation in FG % and 3 pt % coming into this game so this WV has nothing to be ashamed of. They just need to minimize the defensive lapses, run more motion offense to get easier looks, and rebound better. Well, that's my take anyway. Have a great day Mountaineer Fans wherever your country road has taken you.

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shot selection shot selection 3-4 to go we looked lost

heard rumor we get big man dec 20, is that right?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More pain…

Felt very much like watching the football team this year. Team played pretty well through the first 3/4 of the game, only to give it away in the last 1/4.

WVU went over 4 minutes without scoring a point as Gonzaga retook control of the game. For the most part, WVU played excellent defense. But, like you said DIEHARD… they lost Pangos at a crucial time.

While I believe Williams will be a really good player for us one day, he did not make good decisions on offense last night.

And, for the life of me… I do not know why the refs allowed their big guy to shove and bump when in possession of the ball. He should have been whistled for offensive fouls. Hell… how many fouls did they call on him for the night? That was a joke…