• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The DieHard Breakdown: A Season Ending Edition--WVU 87 Iowa State 76

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you have a heart condition(as I do), West Virginia Basketball is not good to watch. Your blood pressure will rise and you will experience a rapid heart beat. For much of the season, that explains this team's play especially in conference where anybody can beat you on any given night. Senior night was a little different though as West Virginia ended it's regular season Friday with a convincing 87-76 victory over Iowa State to finish the campaign at 24-7 & 12-6 in the conference.

The Mountaineers struggled though out the first half to contain the 3 point shooting of Iowa State as the Cyclones rained 9 3's to trail by a score of 43-42 at the half. The second half was a different story as WV tightened the defense and ran better offensive sets to finish off the Cyclones.

Daxter Miles showed up last night to lead the Mountaineers in scoring with 23 points and 7 rebounds. The scoring was rounded out with Adrian chipping in 16, Carter 13, and Macon 10. WV dominated the glass (something that killed them in Waco) 48-29. Most impressive was the 18 offensive rebounds. ISU had 14 turnovers while WV made 15. Tarik Phillips had a career high 10 assists.

In review of this game, as most usually, it boils down to how many extra shots does the Mountaineers get? Tonight we got seven and that was not because of the turnovers we created as much as it was from the offensive rebounds. I like to see a 10+ differential in that stat line because let's face it---we don't shoot the ball that well. We have to depend on turnovers and offensive rebounds to win. Last night, I wore a hole in my Lazyboy recliner from pounding the arm rest while screaming "Pump the ball inside goddamn it!" Now for all you Bracketologists, Iowa State will get bounced from the tourney as soon as they see size in the middle. Mark that one down.

As for the Mountaineer's season, it was better than I would have have expected. I was at the Holiday Inn this fall for the Youngstown St. football game and had the chance to talk to Ron Everhart, WV Asst. Basketball Coach. I asked him how we were going to fill the shoes of Devon Williams? Ron replied that we wouldn't but we would be better in other areas of the game--mainly defense. Ron was right. This team plays much better defense than it did last year as we know our responsibilities better in the press and the half court defensive sets. So,to go 24-7 and most likely get a 4 seed--who can complain? Now it is on to Kansas City and a #2seedin the Big 12 tournament. It would be nice to win that Tournament but getting beat out early isn't the end of the world either as I have my eye on the NCAA field of 68. We need a Sweet 16 or better showing this year to bolster recruiting. I think last year's debacle will have this team more focused and ready to accomplish better results. Have a great weekend Mountaineer fans wherever your Country Road has taken you this chilly Saturday morning!

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missed you Diehard. Great to see you back

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you have a heart condition(as I do), West Virginia Basketball is not good to watch. Your blood pressure will rise and you will experience a rapid heart beat. For much of the season, that explains this team's play especially in conference where anybody can beat you on any given night. Senior night was a little different though as West Virginia ended it's regular season Friday with a convincing 87-76 victory over Iowa State to finish the campaign at 24-7 & 12-6 in the conference.

The Mountaineers struggled though out the first half to contain the 3 point shooting of Iowa State as the Cyclones rained 9 3's to trail by a score of 43-42 at the half. The second half was a different story as WV tightened the defense and ran better offensive sets to finish off the Cyclones.

Daxter Miles showed up last night to lead the Mountaineers in scoring with 23 points and 7 rebounds. The scoring was rounded out with Adrian chipping in 16, Carter 13, and Macon 10. WV dominated the glass (something that killed them in Waco) 48-29. Most impressive was the 18 offensive rebounds. ISU had 14 turnovers while WV made 15. Tarik Phillips had a career high 10 assists.

In review of this game, as most usually, it boils down to how many extra shots does the Mountaineers get? Tonight we got seven and that was not because of the turnovers we created as much as it was from the offensive rebounds. I like to see a 10+ differential in that stat line because let's face it---we don't shoot the ball that well. We have to depend on turnovers and offensive rebounds to win. Last night, I wore a hole in my Lazyboy recliner from pounding the arm rest while screaming "Pump the ball inside goddamn it!" Now for all you Bracketologists, Iowa State will get bounced from the tourney as soon as they see size in the middle. Mark that one down.

As for the Mountaineer's season, it was better than I would have have expected. I was at the Holiday Inn this fall for the Youngstown St. football game and had the chance to talk to Ron Everhart, WV Asst. Basketball Coach. I asked him how we were going to fill the shoes of Devon Williams? Ron replied that we wouldn't but we would be better in other areas of the game--mainly defense. Ron was right. This team plays much better defense than it did last year as we know our responsibilities better in the press and the half court defensive sets. So,to go 24-7 and most likely get a 4 seed--who can complain? Now it is on to Kansas City and a #2seedin the Big 12 tournament. It would be nice to win that Tournament but getting beat out early isn't the end of the world either as I have my eye on the NCAA field of 68. We need a Sweet 16 or better showing this year to bolster recruiting. I think last year's debacle will have this team more focused and ready to accomplish better results. Have a great weekend Mountaineer fans wherever your Country Road has taken you this chilly Saturday morning!

The two enigma's this year ...Ahmad and Miles...if they would have shown any type of consistency this team would have been no less than a 2 seed and may have made a run to the final 4...........

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The two enigma's this year ...Ahmad and Miles...if they would have shown any type of consistency this team would have been no less than a 2 seed and may have made a run to the final 4...........
They MAY yet!!! Don't count them out just yet. This team has shown itself to be great at times, and horrible at times. Who knows if we will see an early trip home, or a final 4.......

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They MAY yet!!! Don't count them out just yet. This team has shown itself to be great at times, and horrible at times. Who knows if we will see an early trip home, or a final 4.......

IF they run into Stephen F Austin again.......they will be home in the first round!...and that by six degrees of separation could be a Florida Gulf Coast who just rain 3 pointers all day and could care less about rebounding..

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF they run into Stephen F Austin again.......they will be home in the first round!...and that by six degrees of separation could be a Florida Gulf Coast who just rain 3 pointers all day and could care less about rebounding..
The NCAA tourney is a complete unknown in so many ways, part of what makes it so great. You get to see teams you would likely never play, you get to play some of the bluebloods (if you get past the first couple rounds.....), we cheer the underdogs, root against our rivals (or others we hate....Calipari for instance) the greatest sporting event in the world!!!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a broken record...

This team will go as far as its guard play permits.

If WVU faces a team like SFA that puts intense pressure on our guards, WVU will struggle. If WVU faces a team that forces it to make shots from the outside, WVU will go down if its guards are having one of those nights when no one can make a basket.

Our guards have average ball handling skills, so it is hard for them to handle tight man. Our guards are streaky shooters, so you never know...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a broken record...

This team will go as far as its guard play permits.

If WVU faces a team like SFA that puts intense pressure on our guards, WVU will struggle. If WVU faces a team that forces it to make shots from the outside, WVU will go down if its guards are having one of those nights when no one can make a basket.

Our guards have average ball handling skills, so it is hard for them to handle tight man. Our guards are streaky shooters, so you never know...

I am not so sure...if you take a small sample of the last couple of games they are getting more points than they have in the paint than at the beginning of the year..but I agree about pressuring the gaurd play

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guards have been doing pretty well at season's end.

But, you ain't gonna go deep in the dance without excellent guard play. Only been one team who won with the front court being the haymaker.