• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Coaching Thread

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MHSL82, do you also like to sing at karoke bars, or only on videos you upload to YouTube (under the disguise about posting about the Jazz head coach)?

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MHSL82, do you also like to sing at karoke bars, or only on videos you upload to YouTube (under the disguise about posting about the Jazz head coach)?

Both. Why limit yourself? ;)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most wins since 1996-97 is kind of unfair. But the rest are pretty cool.

NBA: Gregg Popovich's 1,000 wins by the numbers

I'd have preferred a list of most wins in first 1500 games coached (Pop has coached 1,462) or first to 1,000. He'd be up there without really affecting when one retired (Sloan) or paused (Jackson) or someone else who's started after 1996-1967.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Both. Why limit yourself? ;)

What are some things you do limit yourself in?

Oh, I meant, why limit yourself, as in the reader's self - in this case, Nuraman. Why limit Nuraman's self?

Bad post.

I'm tired of having to always please your comment-evaluator app/mechanism. There's no pleasing robots.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I meant, why limit yourself, as in the reader's self - in this case, Nuraman. Why limit Nuraman's self?

Thanks.

I don't know why I'd want myself to be limited, but I am limited.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trying to get up to speed on your thoughts on Quinn. I'd give him an A so far. Small market you need a draw. Like Pop, his players want to get in the foxhole and fight. In a way, I think we skipped a step by not going all in for a star. That's priority A. But getting a credible, relevant, smart coach that is able to communicate was priority B

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't say I'm disappointed with these rankings (see: 1, 15, 18, 29, 30).

NBA: 2015 Front Office Rankings -- Top coaches - ESPN

Would have liked Hornacek to get his number, 14, and I don't know why people give Anthony Davis love but not his coach. If Davis is succeeding despite the surrounding talent, why wouldn't their coach get the same respectively in coaching ranks, unless Davis is succeeding despite his coach?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Would have liked Hornacek to get his number, 14, and I don't know why people give Anthony Davis love but not his coach. If Davis is succeeding despite the surrounding talent, why wouldn't their coach get the same respectively in coaching ranks, unless Davis is succeeding despite his coach?

What's funny is that the online NBA bloggers (a different group than the above ESPN forecast), liked Monty William's coaching last year. And his use of Holiday, Gordon, Evans, and Brian Roberts.

The Fundamentals: Four NBA teams offer unique spins on the classic pick-and-roll - Point Forward - SI.com

The Perfect Pelicans Pick-and-Roll | New Orleans Pelicans | BourbonStreetShots.com

Building the Brow

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What's funny is that the online NBA bloggers (a different group than the above ESPN forecast), liked Monty William's coaching last year. And his use of Holiday, Gordon, Evans, and Brian Roberts.

The Fundamentals: Four NBA teams offer unique spins on the classic pick-and-roll - Point Forward - SI.com

The Perfect Pelicans Pick-and-Roll | New Orleans Pelicans | BourbonStreetShots.com

Building the Brow

I guess no one liked him; it was all Anthony Davis overcoming lack of support and injuries, not coaching. (Sarcasm)

New Orleans Pelicans fire head coach Monty Williams

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they want a different style of play. Or different rotations. We will see.

Golden State changed coaches, then made changes in their rotation (using mostly the same players), and did better.

Can't dislike the move until I see who they replace Williams with. I liked Williams though.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they want a different style of play. Or different rotations. We will see.

Golden State changed coaches, then made changes in their rotation (using mostly the same players), and did better.

Can't dislike the move until I see who they replace Williams with. I liked Williams though.

Jeff Van Gundy being considered for New Orleans Pelicans head coach opening

The idea of playing at a faster pace -- to take advantage of Davis' athletic gifts -- is a frequent talking point in New Orleans after the Pelicans, under Williams, ranked 27th in pace the past season.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read elsewhere:

Quin talked about the slow pace in this article. He went into the season thinking the Jazz were going to play faster but as the season went on he decided that it was more important to focus on defensive improvement. He specifically mentioned how playing at a fast tempo was not a good thing for the team with Trey on the floor. It's still something Quin wants from the team, but he just doesn't have the players.

To me this is a sign of a great coach. Even though he wanted to play fast, he knew it wasn't going to work so he adapted to his players. Bryce Cotton was the only PG on the roster who was capable of pushing the pace and we all saw how effective that was. As the personnel changes the way the team plays will also change.

There are too many factors that lead to slow play to list all, but the most important were:

- lack of open floor ball handlers and offensive weapons
- poor execution leading to late shot clock situations
- low amount of turnovers created
- outstanding offensive rebounding

I don't ever expect us to be near the top of the league in pace, but once we get better guard play we'll see the pace pick, whether that be from player development or player transactions. It's very bad if you can only play one style, but it's generally better to be able to play slow than fast. In playoff series, the pace of play tends to gravitate towards the slower paced team. For example, the GSW-MEM series was played at a very slow place (which goes to show how great GSW is).

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read elsewhere:
Quin talked about the slow pace in this article. He went into the season thinking the Jazz were going to play faster but as the season went on he decided that it was more important to focus on defensive improvement. He specifically mentioned how playing at a fast tempo was not a good thing for the team with Trey on the floor. It's still something Quin wants from the team, but he just doesn't have the players.

To me this is a sign of a great coach. Even though he wanted to play fast, he knew it wasn't going to work so he adapted to his players. Bryce Cotton was the only PG on the roster who was capable of pushing the pace and we all saw how effective that was. As the personnel changes the way the team plays will also change.

There are too many factors that lead to slow play to list all, but the most important were:

- lack of open floor ball handlers and offensive weapons
- poor execution leading to late shot clock situations
- low amount of turnovers created
- outstanding offensive rebounding

I don't ever expect us to be near the top of the league in pace, but once we get better guard play we'll see the pace pick, whether that be from player development or player transactions. It's very bad if you can only play one style, but it's generally better to be able to play slow than fast. In playoff series, the pace of play tends to gravitate towards the slower paced team. For example, the GSW-MEM series was played at a very slow place (which goes to show how great GSW is).

Good post.

I also think it's better for a young team to have a defensive mentality, then get better on offense. Than to be good at offense, and then try to learn defense (when the bad habits might already be ingrained).

But I'll admit, that's probably a "blowing hot air" type theory. (i.e. no real truth to it).

While the Bucks and Jazz were both young teams that were good defensively, there have been other teams in history which learned to be good later in their tenure, once they had the proper vets.

For example, if the James era Heat teams had been assembled when they were younger, they might hot have been as good defensively as they were because they wouldn't have had the maturity, as they would have been had they formed "later" in 2010. But again, there's no real way to prove or disprove that. Just a talking point.

Sometimes players that are veterans understand the value of defense later in their careers, than earlier. Zach Randolph's Trail Blazer era, vs. the Grizzlies era, comes to mind.

I guess going back to the Jazz, I just liked the way they played, especially defensively (it was more than Rudy). I liked how they had their own identity. While the Boozer-Williams-Okur teams could kind of me the next generation of Stockton and Malone, I like how last year's post New Years Jazz team really had its own identity from other Jazz teams, including the coach. And I liked how distinct they were.

Yes, this was just another essay leading back to the thesis of how I liked last year's team. ;)

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Van Gundy being considered for New Orleans Pelicans head coach opening

The idea of playing at a faster pace -- to take advantage of Davis' athletic gifts -- is a frequent talking point in New Orleans after the Pelicans, under Williams, ranked 27th in pace the past season.
Alvin Gentry is the new Pelicans head coach.

A lot of people, including the media, like him.

I'm not a fan, don't think his offensive mind is better than average, and haven't seen anything creative from him defensively either.

It's going to be jarring for me to root for the Pelicans to have success (and not revert to being a lottery team again), but to do so in spite of their coach, and hope Gentry doesn't get praise.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm also glad the Pelicans didn't choose Thibadeau.

I would have gone with either Jeff Van Gundy, or a promising assistant (the next Snyder).