• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Chiefs Draft in Review

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2014 draft is over for the Chiefs, and this is what they got:

1st Round: Dee Ford (DE)

3rd Round: Phillip Gaines (CB)

4th Round: De'Anthony Thomas (RB)

5th Round: Aaron Murray (QB)

6th Round: Zach Fulton (OG)

6th Round: Laurent Devernay-Tardif (OT)

An intriguing lot of picks, so what are your thoughts on it?

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st Round: Dee Ford (DE) - this pick surprised me given what we lost in free agency

3rd Round: Phillip Gaines (CB) - Good pick

4th Round: De'Anthony Thomas (RB) - a one down back and punt returner instead of a much needed WR. Disappointing.

5th Round: Aaron Murray (QB) - Makes me want to vomit

6th Round: Zach Fulton (OG) - Good

6th Round: Laurent Devernay-Tardif (OT) - Good

No WR's drafted... but I'm no head coach. I hope Andy Reid knows what he is doing.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st Round: Dee Ford (DE) - this pick surprised me given what we lost in free agency

3rd Round: Phillip Gaines (CB) - Good pick

4th Round: De'Anthony Thomas (RB) - a one down back and punt returner instead of a much needed WR. Disappointing.

5th Round: Aaron Murray (QB) - Makes me want to vomit

6th Round: Zach Fulton (OG) - Good

6th Round: Laurent Devernay-Tardif (OT) - Good

No WR's drafted... but I'm no head coach. I hope Andy Reid knows what he is doing.

I was kind of thinking they would use Thomas like McCluster. I think we will see some receptions from Thomas as a WR.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts from a Broncos fan living in KC: I think Murray could be a steal. I assume Thomas is to replace McCluster. I think the picks on offensive line were smart, but I'm baffled that they didn't address wide receiver, especially in a year this deep at wr.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts from a Broncos fan living in KC: I think Murray could be a steal. I assume Thomas is to replace McCluster. I think the picks on offensive line were smart, but I'm baffled that they didn't address wide receiver, especially in a year this deep at wr.

WorstcSe scenario, they flip Murray fora fourth or higher or perhaps insurance for Smith if he asks for too much. I think Smith is asking for too much length, not money. Of course, how you do that is reasonable total but high guarantee.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give the Chiefs a decent B- on this draft. Dee Ford was an interesting choice considering the choices still left for the OL and WR. Seems to me there was better value at those positions where Ford was seen by many as an early 2nd round guy.

Gaines was one of my favorite prospects in this entire draft so to see him go to a rival was a bit hard to swallow.

Thomas again just seems more like a luxury when there was still talent on the board at more of a need position.

Murray could be a nice steal. Will have to see.

I actually thought the best picks though for the Chiefs was the 6th round. I saw both of them going much earlier in other Mocks and thought they both had better value than the 6th round.

Not bad overall with being limited without a 2nd round pick.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Jeff Skversky's twitter account:

"When the Eagles traded back from 22 to 26 last night they targeted Dee Ford a pass rusher from Auburn, but Andy Reid & KC took Ford at 23"

Would make trading back somewhat problematic if Dorsey and co really did believe Ford was the 2nd best passrusher in the draft and worthy of a late round pick. Still seems like a reach for most, including me, but it appears there was some methodology to the madness in picking Ford where he was instead of trading back.

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like the two UDFA's they're bringing in, James Baker and Albert Wilson. Baker especially is very nimble for his size at 6'2 230.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Jeff Skversky's twitter account:

"When the Eagles traded back from 22 to 26 last night they targeted Dee Ford a pass rusher from Auburn, but Andy Reid & KC took Ford at 23"

Would make trading back somewhat problematic if Dorsey and co really did believe Ford was the 2nd best passrusher in the draft and worthy of a late round pick. Still seems like a reach for most, including me, but it appears there was some methodology to the madness in picking Ford where he was instead of trading back.

I wouldn't doubt that this is true. Ford was one of the boom or bust players in this draft. He flashes great ability to get to the quarterback and make some spectacular plays but also has some games where he just doesn't show up at all. Throw in the injury history and size questions he is somewhat all over the board. I for one really liked him and if he had still been on the board when the Broncos picked I would have loved to see them draft him. I just thought for the Chiefs they could have gotten a very good WR or OL player at this point (S'ua Fila or Joel Bitonio made a lot of sense) then go Moncrief in the 3rd and to me that gives the Chiefs not only value but positions of need.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, if I were to give this draft a grade, I would probably give it a B-. Not exactly going to get a ton of impact necessarily (at least one would assume) year 1. However, there is a decent ceiling relative to what one expects with the 23/24th pick (flip flopped with the Bengals) in a given draft. I am not big on drafting Ford where he was, but he certainly has upside-- which was nonexistent last year after Hali and Houston. Ford could potentially replace Hali as soon as 2015, pick is a victory for the salary cap at least. Makes me much more confident the Chiefs can resign Justin Houston this year. May have a similar situation with Gaines and Flowers-- or does Gaines play FS? We will see.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure I saw a week or two ago that the Chiefs were actually shopping Flowers so you might be on to something there of Gaines being his eventual replacement.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
btw, met Tyler Bray's fiance in(of ALL places) a Jack-In-The-Box restaurant out here in Harbor City. small, petite blond thing, but very pleasant personality. yeah, you guys probably won't believe it, but it did happen. wife was there to witness it as well...

btw HUGE Chiefs fan(should be no suprise lol)...