• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The case for Verlander... AL Cy Young

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it sad that Verlander won't be getting the ALCY. He truly came back this year and was the best pitcher in the American League in 2016. Here we go...

34 starts... 27 "quality" starts

16 Wins
Gave up more than three earned runs ONCE in his 16 wins. He pitched less than six innings ZERO times in his 16 wins.

9 Losses
In April, the Pirates lit him up for 7 earned, the Indians twice in May and June went for 7 and 8 earned, and the Angels in May got him for 4 earned. That's FOUR games with more than three earned in his 9 losses. Two losses with 3 earned, one loss with 2 earned and two losses with 1 earned.

9 No Decisions
All nine of his ND were "quality" starts. Only ONE was 3 earned. FOUR were 2 earned. 1 earned twice, and 0 earned twice. ONE no decision was less than seven innings.... his first start of the season where he went 6 innings and 3 earned.

The 8 earned given up to the Indians on June 26th was his last "bad" start.

227.2 innings, 254 K's

How many of those ND are wins if he was wearing Happ's jersey or Porcello's jersey? Sure, the Tigers should have had a good offense, and maybe at times they did, but they rarely showed up for JV.

That is all.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it sad that Verlander won't be getting the ALCY. He truly came back this year and was the best pitcher in the American League in 2016. Here we go...

34 starts... 27 "quality" starts

16 Wins
Gave up more than three earned runs ONCE in his 16 wins. He pitched less than six innings ZERO times in his 16 wins.

9 Losses
In April, the Pirates lit him up for 7 earned, the Indians twice in May and June went for 7 and 8 earned, and the Angels in May got him for 4 earned. That's FOUR games with more than three earned in his 9 losses. Two losses with 3 earned, one loss with 2 earned and two losses with 1 earned.

9 No Decisions
All nine of his ND were "quality" starts. Only ONE was 3 earned. FOUR were 2 earned. 1 earned twice, and 0 earned twice. ONE no decision was less than seven innings.... his first start of the season where he went 6 innings and 3 earned.

The 8 earned given up to the Indians on June 26th was his last "bad" start.

227.2 innings, 254 K's

How many of those ND are wins if he was wearing Happ's jersey or Porcello's jersey? Sure, the Tigers should have had a good offense, and maybe at times they did, but they rarely showed up for JV.

That is all.

Not sure where I was all season, didn't realize he had such a good season... Also didn't realize the AL had such weak pitching this season...

Verlander is my clear cut CY...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had a vote, I'd pick Verlander, but I think he'll get 3rd.

Porcello will probably win since he got 22 wins... But I would vote him 3rd behind Kluber and Verlander...

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking the voters might give Kluber the nod over Verlander because of wins and playoff berth.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of good seasons this year for starting pitching, but no outstanding one. I would vote for Verlander, but I am a homer. If I wasn't a homer, I would vote for Zach Britton 47 saves 0 blown saves.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Verlander is the best option for the ALCY IMO.

I really didn't look at 2nd all that closely tbh.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should've kept reading.

I presume you think I'm being homer, but as I said, if I had a vote, I'd give it to Verlander.

I think it's ridiculous that wins and team standings factor into CY voting, but it's hard to argue that they don't. I'm not saying I for sure think CK will finish ahead of JV, but I'm thinking he might.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I presume you think I'm being homer, but as I said, if I had a vote, I'd give it to Verlander.

I think it's ridiculous that wins and team standings factor into CY voting, but it's hard to argue that they don't. I'm not saying I for sure think CK will finish ahead of JV, but I'm thinking he might.

I never understood why some of you sabre heads totally ignore team stats... I will agree that they are less important, but I do think they are important, even if for different reasons than they were initially intended for...

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never understood why some of you sabre heads totally ignore team stats... I will agree that they are less important, but I do think they are important, even if for different reasons than they were initially intended for...

Because it's things that the SP can't really control.

I think they have some minimal value, but not compared to the stuff they have control over.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never understood why some of you sabre heads totally ignore team stats...

Totally ignore team stats? I look at team stats all the time, I just don't put much stock in W/L and team standings when I'm evaluating how well a guy pitched.

A starting pitcher tosses, what, about 15% of a teams total innings? How is the team's overall record relevant in how he pitched?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally ignore team stats? I look at team stats all the time, I just don't put much stock in W/L and team standings when I'm evaluating how well a guy pitched.

A starting pitcher tosses, what, about 15% of a teams total innings? How is the team's overall record relevant in how he pitched?

Misunderstood... Yea, team standings is irrelevant... But the team results when you pitch is relevant IMO...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think standings factor in. Not sure why they would.

It's essentially tMost Outstanding Pitcher Award.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And generally when I call you a homer, it's to paint you in a corner.

You back Player X, with a red faced wahoo on his sleeve, I re-point out your homerism. You don't back Player X, I have more elbow room for insults. (See Danny Salazar or DroneBoy.)

(Disregard this when we're in the ALC Thread. It's my patent move.)