• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The case for 8

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t know that it’s worse per se, but rather what more people want. As it stands, all you hear after the CFP is “well, (insert excluded team) would’ve won it if included!” I say let all of the champs in and let the chips fall where they may.

If a 4-5 loss conference champ gets in, let them be a sacrificial lamb for the #1 team. At least then no one can complain about a lack of access.
You’d have a point if their weren’t complaining in the NCAA tournament when 68 teams get in. Unless we are going to have a 130 team playoff, someone is going to complain about how they should have been in.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You’d have a point if their weren’t complaining in the NCAA tournament when 68 teams get in. Unless we are going to have a 130 team playoff, someone is going to complain about how they should have been in.

I agree that there will always be complaining. The difference is EVERY team has a chance to get into the NCAA tourneyif they accomplish some objective. The same isn’t true in CFB.

Alabama has been “snubbed” numerous times in CBB, but my view always has been if you don’t clearly distinguish yourselves as one of the 68 best, you have no real beef. Each time, we could’ve taken care of business better.

I do think if you go unbeaten in CFB you should get a shot. My 8 team model would guarantee that. That said, as long as it is at 4 and Bama is one of the 4 I won’t be apologizing for them getting in.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that there will always be complaining. The difference is EVERY team has a chance to get into the NCAA tourneyif they accomplish some objective. The same isn’t true in CFB.

Alabama has been “snubbed” numerous times in CBB, but my view always has been if you don’t clearly distinguish yourselves as one of the 68 best, you have no real beef. Each time, we could’ve taken care of business better.

I do think if you go unbeaten in CFB you should get a shot. My 8 team model would guarantee that. That said, as long as it is at 4 and Bama is one of the 4 I won’t be apologizing for them getting in.
So I your playoff, a G5 school could play Savannah State, Mercer, UTEP, and New Mexico State in their non conference schedule and you believe that deserves an auto bid to the playoffs? Since it doesn’t matter who you play, if you are undefeated.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to put it in perspective. The final College Football Playoff rankings would have included UGA, UCF, and Michigan if there were an 8 team playoff. All 3 lost to teams ranked outside the Top 10 in Bowl season.

So the argument against expanding is that the committee did a poor job ranking teams? Isn’t that a reason to expand?

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I your playoff, a G5 school could play Savannah State, Mercer, UTEP, and New Mexico State in their non conference schedule and you believe that deserves an auto bid to the playoffs? Since it doesn’t matter who you play, if you are undefeated.

If you want to make stipulations such as a max of 1 (or even no) FCS opponents, I would be fine with that.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, that is a hell of straw man. Let’s forget the fact that someone will always bitch has no bearing on whether or not expanding is a good idea, but focus on the absurdity of that argument. Are people with an IQ over 80 really supposed to take the 131st team’s complaints as seriously as the #5 teAm’s?

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ OP
mb5hn.jpg

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But how is six possible? That means 3-6 have to play more playoff games.
Some of the ones that want 6 also don't want auto bids... but how are they going to choose who gets bye weeks? Right, more eye tests they profess to loath.

People really don't think these things through. It's 100% knee jerk reactions and ill conceived ideology that can't manifest itself in reality. Thank God.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue is Bowls and playoffs do not really mix well. Bowls are the ultimate participation trophy in sports. You have no chance for a title, but here is a little exhibition game that you get To pretend is meaningful to your fan base and you get a nice bag of swag. Seems players have started to realize this. The fact is bowls were created as a meaningless exhibition and were treated as such for 30-40 years. I would love to get rid of the bowls and go for a larger playoff, like every other level of team sports does. Go to 12 and give the top 4 a bye week. I can’t imagine that would produce a worse product than what we saw this bowl season. Clemson is going to play for a title by beating ND, A&M, and Syracuse. Not sure how anyone can say they have proved to be worthy based on taking the low road. Clemson maybe thebest team in the country, but just has had an unfortunate schedule. You could fix that by asking teams to win 3-4 games vs the top 12. The selection might be off here and there in that format, but I am Ok if #11 or #12 were over ranked. That is a lot better than seeing #3 or #4 over ranked.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The case is made simply by making more games relevant. The empty stands in all but the playoff games prove it. That is the only reason it gets changed, money.
Ratings are down 25% from last year alone. They will continue to drop along with revenue