• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Big 12 Preview Superstore (with a lot of extras)

Oklahoma will most likely be in the Big 12 title game again, so who'll be their opponent, you think?

• Texas

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Iowa State

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • TCU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Baylor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Someone else (god forbid)

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas Christian

The last preview segment for the Big 12: The TCU Horned Frogs

Last season: Gary Patterson has now been at TCU for 18 years. And I'll bet he's STILL surprised that he needed to win his last 3 games of the season (including one of the ugliest bowl games ever) to avoid a losing record in 2018. How the hell did his offense turn to s--t this quickly without a reliable QB? He can't even blame it on injuries.

Bad news: TCU has always had good defensive players, but in 2019 they may not have a whole lot of them; linebacker is especially a worry after losing so much production from a year ago. Oh, and TCU has a lot of options at the QB position, but they'll need to pick the right one from a list of inexperienced people.

Good news: But if TCU DO pick out a good QB, that may be all they need to get their offensive numbers up; they have 2 veteran backs and WR Jalen Reagor to help out. And don't be surprised if coach Patterson creates some new stars on defense; there's still some good talent over there.

Key games:
9/14 @ Purdue (This game could be a double positive for the Frogs; not only will they defeat the rebuilding Boilermakers, but they just might find their new starter at QB here...)
10/5 @ Iowa State (...which is what they'll need to put the Cyclones back into their place. And if they do...)
10/26 vs. Texas (...TCU could be 6-0 entering their rivalry rematch with Texas. Fort Worth will be rocking in this contest.)
11/2 @ Oklahoma State (The Texas game starts a tough stretch for the Horned Frogs; the Frogs must visit Stillwater right afterwards. Then it'll be in-state rivalies with Baylor and Texas Tech before dealing with the Sooners.)

Bottom line: TCU's schedule sets up nicely for their offense to regain the confidence they lost a season ago. Oh, and Gary Patterson's defenses tend to get better as the season goes on. So if their solve their QB problems, TCU's ceiling will be higher in 2019... maybe high enough to push Texas and Iowa State for a Big 12 title shot.

It's going to be fun to see how TCU's 6 man QB competition shakes out

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does it seem like a lot of the best teams in the Big 12 all play each other in November every year?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does it seem like a lot of the best teams in the Big 12 all play each other in November every year?

Because the Big 12 intentionally schedules it that way.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be interesting to see if the conference starts trending to a little more of a physical less air raidy style of play.

Texas, ISU, KState, I THINK (we'll see) that WVU will run more both from the RB as well as QB spots, Rhule and Patterson have had more physical offenses in the past... meh, we'll see.
I believe all teams WANT to play a very physical type of defense. Not all really WANT to play that type offense but that is a little misleading because many teams viewed as "throw it around the yard" actually run the ball a lot.

The problem for some of the teams is the availability of enough good defensive lineman to play a good old fashioned defense. What good defensive lineman are available are usually concentrated in only a few teams. This may just be my opinion but I'd say there are several teams that have 2nd and 3rd team defensive linemen that are far superior to those starting for many of their conference opponents.

Example: For the defensive linemen listed on 24/7 for the class of 2020, three of the top six are committed to Clemson...#2, #3 and #6. #4 is committed to Bama and #1 and #5 are committed yet. (Clemson also has #12 committed.)

It seems there are more skill players available so teams adapt to what talent they are able to acquire.

Jtrain80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some of these new coaches are going to be a problem I think: Guy at KSU, recruits the same types for KSU that won him championships at NDS; The guy at TT, worked wonders at UTAH St, guy at WVU at Troy

throw in Rhule at baylor and Campbell at ISU and this conference looks to be real competitive going forward.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New Year's Six and Playoff prediction time!

*BING BONG BONG DOOOOOO...* Attention, shoppers! Today is the day you've all been waiting for! @Dolgevillefootballfan is proud to present his picks for the New Year's Six in 2019:

New Year's Six:
Cotton Bowl: Texas vs. Appalachian State (I actually see Texas as the last team to be invited to the "New Year's Six" this year. But it'll still be a joyous occasion for them; they'll play close to home against a "Group of Five" school that I KNOW will have less losses than UCF, Memphis, and Boise State this year.
NOTE: Even though I see Iowa State in the Big 12 title game and not Texas, I also see ISU with more overall losses than Texas, hence why Texas is here and not ISU.)
Rose Bowl: Michigan vs. Washington (In my projections for this year, it'll be "close but no cigar" again for Harbaugh and company. Oh well. At least they'll get to go to Pasadena to face a Washington team that should be consistently good again.)
Sugar Bowl: Georgia vs. Oklahoma (I see these two teams as my "first 2 teams out" of the playoff. We should have a wonderful shootout here.)
Orange Bowl: LSU vs. Notre Dame (Just a straightforward brawl between two powerful programs here.)

College Football Playoff 2019:
Fiesta Bowl: Clemson over Utah
(With an experienced team and a strong defense going for them, Utah is more than capable of crashing the CFP party this year. Just a shame that they'll have to face Clemson once they get there.)
Peach Bowl: Alabama over Ohio State (Also joining us in 2019 will be Ohio State. Yep, after 2 failed attempts, the Buckeyes will rejoin the CFP with a strong offense and a Big 10 title. But here is where OSU will REALLY miss the presence of Urban Meyer.)
Clemson over Alabama in the championship game (Yep. Sorry to all of the CFB people shouting for parity, but it looks like we'll have to put up with Clemson and Alabama's crap for at least another year. But on the bright side, at least we can laugh at Nick Saban some more when his Alabama program loses their rivalry with Clemson in the Superdome... as the Tigers go back-to-back.)
Me: "Well, what do you think, my dark side? Pretty good picks, eh?"
Dark side: "Hmm... Going with 'Bama and Clemson again, I get. But 'Bama as the runner-up? Don't you know Nick Saban and his staff are still angry over last January? And besides, every time you pick a team as a runner-up, they NEVER fulfill expectat-"
Me and my dark side: ... :heh::heh::heh:

That is all. *TING BING BING BONG...*

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the Big 12 intentionally schedules it that way.

I understand it makes Big 12 football must watch in November, but why?

The playoff committee hasn't fixed the fact that it's better to lose early compared to later in the year. Luckily the past couple years Oklahoma lost early but it won't pan out like that always

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand it makes Big 12 football must watch in November, but why?

The playoff committee hasn't fixed the fact that it's better to lose early compared to later in the year. Luckily the past couple years Oklahoma lost early but it won't pan out like that always

yeah but if you win, you're on a roll. Last year Texas lost, after beating them in the reg season, and went to the Sugar Bowl because that bowl has a "next best B12 vs next best SEC" slot contract.

If you have one loss, win the B12 championship, most years you will go to the CFP

EDIT: Sorry, you're talking about the end of the reg season. Kind of see your point, but then again B12 everybody plays everybody, and some games are historically at a certain time of the year. I think it's going to work out that way most years

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New Year's Six and Playoff prediction time!

*BING BONG BONG DOOOOOO...* Attention, shoppers! Today is the day you've all been waiting for! @Dolgevillefootballfan is proud to present his picks for the New Year's Six in 2019:

New Year's Six:
Cotton Bowl: Texas vs. Appalachian State (I actually see Texas as the last team to be invited to the "New Year's Six" this year. But it'll still be a joyous occasion for them; they'll play close to home against a "Group of Five" school that I KNOW will have less losses than UCF, Memphis, and Boise State this year.
NOTE: Even though I see Iowa State in the Big 12 title game and not Texas, I also see ISU with more overall losses than Texas, hence why Texas is here and not ISU.)
Rose Bowl: Michigan vs. Washington (In my projections for this year, it'll be "close but no cigar" again for Harbaugh and company. Oh well. At least they'll get to go to Pasadena to face a Washington team that should be consistently good again.)
Sugar Bowl: Georgia vs. Oklahoma (I see these two teams as my "first 2 teams out" of the playoff. We should have a wonderful shootout here.)
Orange Bowl: LSU vs. Notre Dame (Just a straightforward brawl between two powerful programs here.)

College Football Playoff 2019:
Fiesta Bowl: Clemson over Utah
(With an experienced team and a strong defense going for them, Utah is more than capable of crashing the CFP party this year. Just a shame that they'll have to face Clemson once they get there.)
Peach Bowl: Alabama over Ohio State (Also joining us in 2019 will be Ohio State. Yep, after 2 failed attempts, the Buckeyes will rejoin the CFP with a strong offense and a Big 10 title. But here is where OSU will REALLY miss the presence of Urban Meyer.)
Clemson over Alabama in the championship game (Yep. Sorry to all of the CFB people shouting for parity, but it looks like we'll have to put up with Clemson and Alabama's crap for at least another year. But on the bright side, at least we can laugh at Nick Saban some more when his Alabama program loses their rivalry with Clemson in the Superdome... as the Tigers go back-to-back.)
Me: "Well, what do you think, my dark side? Pretty good picks, eh?"
Dark side: "Hmm... Going with 'Bama and Clemson again, I get. But 'Bama as the runner-up? Don't you know Nick Saban and his staff are still angry over last January? And besides, every time you pick a team as a runner-up, they NEVER fulfill expectat-"
Me and my dark side: ... :heh::heh::heh:

That is all. *TING BING BING BONG...*

I love this prediction. The right amount of chalk and the right amount of wtf really? You are going to be completely wrong because with prognostication thats the game but aside from a scenario where Ap State plays Michigan in a NYD bowl I'm perfectly fine with this.