• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Big 12 Preview Superstore (with a lot of extras)

Oklahoma will most likely be in the Big 12 title game again, so who'll be their opponent, you think?

• Texas

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Iowa State

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • TCU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Baylor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Someone else (god forbid)

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Proud_Okie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU's defense was so bad, I can't watch highlights of last year during the offseason.

@Proud_Okie @tnapucco

Will this year be any different? Well, Lincoln fixed the meerkat offense that huepel ran with a quickness....
It's unrealistic to expect a top 25 defense overnight, but I would take top 50 in a heartbeat right now. The amazing offenses of the last 2 years were absolutely squandered by ZERO defense.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kansas State

Preview segment: The Kansas State Wildcats

Last season: So Bill Snyder has retired from coaching for the 2nd time. And people are gonna respect him forever for turning around the lowly Kansas State program not once, but twice. Just a shame that the 2018 team couldn't give him one more bowl game as the Wildcats went 5-7.
And to the surprise of some people here on Sportshoopla, the K-State job did NOT go to Bill's son, but instead it went to former North Dakota State boss Chris Klieman.

X-factor for the next few years: Chris Klieman- The record Klieman accumulated at NDSU is sparkling. But do you remember when Snyder retired the first time and K-State brought in some guy named Ron Prince (you know, the guy that's now coaching at Howard University)? That situation got messy quickly, especially during his buyout process.
However, that job was Ron's first as a head coach. Klieman's been around the block a few times, so maybe this hire will work out in the long run.

Good news: A total of 17 starters should help the transition go a little more smoothly. That includes a solid D-line and QB Skyler Thompson, who likes it when he's the man on campus. RB James Gilbert is a beast as a grad-transfer from Ball State...

Bad news: ...but he's the only good RB the Wildcats have right now. Depth is a problem in other areas too, especially around the secondary.

Key games:
9/14 @ Mississippi State (A pretty tough assignment for K-State here, trying to break a good Mississippi State defense.)
9/28 @ Oklahoma State (In this Big 12 opener, Klieman will find out just how exactly a Big 12 offense operates.)
11/2 @ Kansas (K-State hasn't lost in this rivalry game since 2008.)
11/16 vs. West Virginia (K-State could dim the bowl chances of the Mountaineers here.)

Bottom line: Yes, I mentioned Chris Klieman's name quite a few times here. But this really is a big topic in the Big 12, especially in Manhattan, Kansas. The 2019 season might not end in a bowl game for the Wildcats, but pay attention to how the team operates; if the transition goes smoothly, it'll bode very well for the future of Kansas State football.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the media finds one interesting factoid and just beats the shit out of it.
giphy.gif

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. The past few years they've always looked like they were on their heels waiting for something to happen to them.
I agree...but it ain't just OU. IMO too many defenses that are defending the spread/HUNH/run&shoot...or whatever the hell you want to call it...do that. They are so worried about getting burned they are backing up and not aggressive enough. JMO

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa State

Preview segment: The Iowa State Cyclones

Last season: Iowa State had modest expectations for the 2018 season, especially when they started 1-3. But when they paired RB David Montgomery with freshmen QB Brock Purdy, that all changed. And so the Cyclones were able to get a 8-5 record in 2018, and had real chances to beat teams like Texas and Washington State.

Bad news: Sadly in 2019, Iowa State will not only be missing David Montgomery, but also proud WR Hakeem Butler and top corner Brain Peavy. It'll be "all hands on deck" to replace those type of players. Oh, and ISU lost their top punter for the season in spring ball.

Good news: If Brock Purdy wowed us as a freshmen, imagine what he'll do over the next 2 years! The line play for the Cyclones should be among-st the best in the Big 12, and team depth is continuing to get better.

Key games:
9/14 vs. Iowa (If Iowa State wants to prove that all of this hype is warranted, then they'll have to defeat Iowa for the first time in 5 years.)
9/28 @ Baylor (The Cyclones will also have to step up right away in conference play, too; Baylor is also hopeful that they can crash the Big 12 title party.)
10/5 vs. TCU (Then after that, Iowa State will host a TCU team that's always tough on defense... and who might be 4-0 entering this game.)
11/9 @ Oklahoma (Visiting Norman, Oklahoma for a football game? Never, EVER easy to do.)
11/16 vs. Texas (An even harder thing to do? Hosting a reborn Texas team right after the Oklahoma game.)

Bottom line: Matt Campbell has a reason to be so optimistic about his team; Brock Purdy is a rising star, he has playmakers on defense, and the line play is to die for. It looks certain that Iowa State will go to another good-looking bowl (like the Liberty or the Camping World) in 2019.
But a Big 12 title shot? I don't know; having maybe the hardest schedule in the Big 12 won't be easy to overcome, especially with no more Montgomery and Hakeem in Ames anymore.

Proud_Okie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree...but it ain't just OU. IMO too many defenses that are defending the spread/HUNH/run&shoot...or whatever the hell you want to call it...do that. They are so worried about getting burned they are backing up and not aggressive enough. JMO
Agree. The way I see it is that OU was going to let teams score anyway, so why not get aggressive and try to force some turnovers or mistakes? Letting teams have 6-8 yard passes all the way downfield for 10 plays is just asinine to me.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma

Preview segment: The Oklahoma Sooners

Last season: So after a very busy morning, I'm back here with you guys. And speaking of busy, the Oklahoma Sooners have been VERY busy as of late. Over the last 2 years they have produced 2 Big 12 championships, 2 straight Heisman trophy winning QB's, and 2 straight trips to the CFP. And after a 12-2 record in 2018, can they do all that again in 2019?

Bad news: The dominant talk on this thread has been all about Oklahoma's horrible defense from last year, and even though it returns 8 starters from a year ago, it's STILL a big worry. Will more aggressive schemes from a new defensive coordinator help? Oh, and 80% of last year's O-line is now in the NFL.

Good news: Things would have been a LOT worse for Oklahoma if they hadn't gotten Jalen Hurts to replace Kyler Murray at QB. Maybe with Hurts filling in, the Sooners can have a Top-5 offense with their incredible skill position players. RB Trey Sermon, WR CeeDee Lamb, and TE Creed Humphrey are just 3 of them that comes to mind.

2019 X-factor: The kicking game- Oklahoma needs to find new starters at punter and kicker, and with their problems on the O-line and on defense, I'm sure they don't want any more problems. So expect Gabe Brkic and Reevee Mundschau (with their extensive credentials from high school) to start right away.

Key games:
9/1 vs. Houston (Normally, I'd go with Oklahoma all the way here all thanks to Houston's awful defense. But wait. That means Oklahoma will score more, which means that their defense will be on the field more, which could mean Houston will also score more, and back and forth and back and forth and WHOAAA!)
9/14 @ UCLA (Same scenario here; can Oklahoma stop the UCLA attack long enough to win in Pasadena?)
10/12 vs. Texas [in Dallas] (Just know that tickets for this installment of the "Red River Rivalry" is going on StubHub for over $300.)
The whole month of November (A cop-out, perhaps? Maybe. But Oklahoma's November schedule is pretty tough. Just take a look:
11/9 vs. Iowa State
11/16 @ Baylor
11/23 vs. TCU
and 11/30 @ Oklahoma State.

Oklahoma definitely has the talent to win all 4 of these games, but can they handle this many challenges all at once?)

Bottom line: Regionally, Oklahoma is a MONSTER, and absolutely will return to the Big 12 title game with that brilliant offense led by Jalen Hurts. Yet, if they want to stay a national force and a CFP contender, they'll HAVE to fix that defense and that O-line ASAP.

Jtrain80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU has been producing some nice OL's for quite a few yrs. This one wont be any different.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas Christian

The last preview segment for the Big 12: The TCU Horned Frogs

Last season: Gary Patterson has now been at TCU for 18 years. And I'll bet he's STILL surprised that he needed to win his last 3 games of the season (including one of the ugliest bowl games ever) to avoid a losing record in 2018. How the hell did his offense turn to s--t this quickly without a reliable QB? He can't even blame it on injuries.

Bad news: TCU has always had good defensive players, but in 2019 they may not have a whole lot of them; linebacker is especially a worry after losing so much production from a year ago. Oh, and TCU has a lot of options at the QB position, but they'll need to pick the right one from a list of inexperienced people.

Good news: But if TCU DO pick out a good QB, that may be all they need to get their offensive numbers up; they have 2 veteran backs and WR Jalen Reagor to help out. And don't be surprised if coach Patterson creates some new stars on defense; there's still some good talent over there.

Key games:
9/14 @ Purdue (This game could be a double positive for the Frogs; not only will they defeat the rebuilding Boilermakers, but they just might find their new starter at QB here...)
10/5 @ Iowa State (...which is what they'll need to put the Cyclones back into their place. And if they do...)
10/26 vs. Texas (...TCU could be 6-0 entering their rivalry rematch with Texas. Fort Worth will be rocking in this contest.)
11/2 @ Oklahoma State (The Texas game starts a tough stretch for the Horned Frogs; the Frogs must visit Stillwater right afterwards. Then it'll be in-state rivalies with Baylor and Texas Tech before dealing with the Sooners.)

Bottom line: TCU's schedule sets up nicely for their offense to regain the confidence they lost a season ago. Oh, and Gary Patterson's defenses tend to get better as the season goes on. So if their solve their QB problems, TCU's ceiling will be higher in 2019... maybe high enough to push Texas and Iowa State for a Big 12 title shot.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big 12 Predictions

Now remember, folks. After I post my picks for the Big 12 in 2019, know that I'm not done on this thread. I'll have some FCS stuff, a BYU preview, and maybe... playoff predictions (if you all behave yourself)!
So... here we go:

1. Oklahoma (Conference champs, maybe playoff)
2. Iowa State [via tiebreaker] (Maybe "New Year's Six")
3. Texas (Maybe "New Year's Six)
4. TCU
5. Oklahoma State
6. Baylor
7. Texas Tech
8. West Virginia
9. Kansas State
10. Kansas

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MV5BNjIzMjhlYWMtMWZkNC00NDkwLTk5YTUtMzQ4OTVkYTc2ODViXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzU1NzE3NTg@._V1_CR0,45,480,270_AL_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg

uh...huuhuhuh...we're gonna to put it in their booties....huhuh...
Cozy_Cuffs_Crochet_Baby_Booties_Pattern_PDF_download_handmade_by_amanda_moriconi_small2.JPG

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some of these new coaches are going to be a problem I think: Guy at KSU, recruits the same types for KSU that won him championships at NDS; The guy at TT, worked wonders at UTAH St, guy at WVU at Troy

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FCS Predictions

As these preview segments start to wind down, it's about time I dip into the lower leagues of football for a bit. It's Football Championship Subdivision time, and here are the teams that can make the biggest headlines this season:

Alcorn State: By returning maybe the two best players in the entire SWAC (Noah Johnson and Javen Morrison), Alcorn State is my pick to return to the Celebration Bowl and win it this time.

James Madison: There is a LOT of interesting things with the Dukes this year. Firsly, their QB competition is wide open after a disastrous playoff game last December. And secondly, JMU has a new head coach that they plucked from... conference rival Elon?!? My god, what's gonna happen when JMU visits Elon on September 28th?

North Dakota State: Their coach and athletic director are now at Kansas State. QB Easton Slick is also gone, and so are 23 other seniors. Is this the year that the Bison finally eats some humble pie?

Jacksonville State: The Gamecocks should remain the favorites to win the Ohio Valley, but can they finally stop this string of disappointing playoff runs?

UC-Davis: My pick to win the FCS title in 2019. They have a veteran coach leading them, and one of the most lethal QB-WR combos in the whole FCS. Their September 21st game with North Dakota State could very well be their "coming-out" party.

And don't forget about the new teams in the FCS: Merrimack Collage and Long Island U. as they begin life in the Northeast Conference.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brigham Young

The final preview segment of the entire 2019 season: The BYU Cougars

Last season: The only thing that went through the Brigham Young campus after the 2018 season was "Thank goodness we don't have to get a new coach". The emergence of some new stars helped to carry BYU to a 7-6 record (including a big win over Wisconsin) and a bowl win in 2018, and now that Kalini Sitake can breathe again he can start to build up the team again.

Good news: Kalini's plan to play a lot of youngsters in 2018 is about to pay off; there's a lot of depth and experience on this roster. The defense should be good again despite losing some people, and Zach Wilson now has the chance to become the next in a long line of awesome BYU quarterbacks.

Bad news: There's a lack of depth at running-back, and... that's about it. Wait, what was that? Zach had shoulder surgery in the offseason?! Uh, is he gonna be ready for the start of the season?

Key games:
8/29 vs. Utah (Delusional me has the Utah Utes in the national title discussion. Will THAT be the spark BYU needs to snap a long losing streak in the "Holy War"?)
9/7 @ Tennessee (The Utah game is just part of yet another front-loaded schedule. After BYU goes to Knoxville, they'll have home games against USC and Washington...)
9/28 @ Toledo (...and then road games at unfamiliar places like Toledo, Ohio and Tampa, Florida.)
10/19 vs. Boise State (Taking on Boise State, however, THAT is quite familiar.)
11/2 vs. Utah State (Another familiar sight is Utah State finding ways to defeat the Cougars. And that's something BYU has to remedy quickly.)

Bottom line: Thank you for being patient with head coach Kalini Sitake. His methods at Provo, Utah is starting to work again, and in 2019 expect BYU to make another bowl game and beat at least 1 heavyweight from a big conference. But just remember this: Wherever Zach Wilson goes, that's where BYU will go.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU perfected the Matador Defense and now they're going to start tackling and "dictating" and all that cool stuff? That kind of talk makes my front jump.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some of these new coaches are going to be a problem I think: Guy at KSU, recruits the same types for KSU that won him championships at NDS; The guy at TT, worked wonders at UTAH St, guy at WVU at Troy
Going to be interesting to see if the conference starts trending to a little more of a physical less air raidy style of play.

Texas, ISU, KState, I THINK (we'll see) that WVU will run more both from the RB as well as QB spots, Rhule and Patterson have had more physical offenses in the past... meh, we'll see.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be interesting to see if the conference starts trending to a little more of a physical less air raidy style of play.

Texas, ISU, KState, I THINK (we'll see) that WVU will run more both from the RB as well as QB spots, Rhule and Patterson have had more physical offenses in the past... meh, we'll see.

I think it has already started.
Oklahoma runs the ball more than pass.
Texas is doing it and bulking up their defense.

It may take the other programs a while to adjust, but adjust they will, to the 2 programs that dictate it happens. On the other hand, the others may well want to be pass happier, just to try and compete.

I think the conference is leaning in the way you described.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it has already started.
Oklahoma runs the ball more than pass.
Texas is doing it and bulking up their defense.

It may take the other programs a while to adjust, but adjust they will, to the 2 programs that dictate it happens. On the other hand, the others may well want to be pass happier, just to try and compete.

I think the conference is leaning in the way you described.

Didn’t realize OU was running more than passing but makes sense considering the last 2 QB’s and I agree I think OU &Texas may be leading the charge.