• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The "All we have left to hope for" Draft Lottery Thread | 7PM NBCSN

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So with Seattle getting the 2nd overall pick, there are two teams in the league that have never had a top 3 pick in their franchise history:

The Vegas Golden Knights and the Calgary Flames.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, everybody’s greatest concern is the fucking Pegulas lol

I am totally shocked that Terry Pegula would be the kind of boss that needs constant adoration from subordinates and would make life hell if you don't give it to them.

And by totally shocked, I mean in no way shocked at all.
So with Seattle getting the 2nd overall pick, there are two teams in the league that have never had a top 3 pick in their franchise history:

The Vegas Golden Knights and the Calgary Flames.
Wow. That is rough.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atlanta Flames did have the 2nd overall pick in 1973 and they selected Tom Lysiak, but the highest pick since the Flames relocated to Calgary was Sam Bennett who was picked 4th overall and is now driving Panthers fans crazy with bad penalties lol.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am totally shocked that Terry Pegula would be the kind of boss that needs constant adoration from subordinates and would make life hell if you don't give it to them.

And by totally shocked, I mean in no way shocked at all.
The difference between the Sabres and Bills always confuses me. The Bills seem to be on the right track. Stable coach and GM combo that seems to be doing all the right things, with no stories of meddling by the Pegulas.

The Sabres on the other hand are generously described as a dumpster fire and we hear about their meddling all the time.

I can't figure out if they just got dumb-lucky with their Bills hires or what it was. How can two teams owned by the same people be on such different trajectories?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference between the Sabres and Bills always confuses me. The Bills seem to be on the right track. Stable coach and GM combo that seems to be doing all the right things, with no stories of meddling by the Pegulas.

The Sabres on the other hand are generously described as a dumpster fire and we hear about their meddling all the time.

I can't figure out if they just got dumb-lucky with their Bills hires or what it was. How can two teams owned by the same people be on such different trajectories?
They got lucky with the Bills - keep in mind their first coaching hire was fucking Rex Ryan lol.

They hit on hiring Sean McDermott as HC. He led them to hire Beane as GM and their previous relationship helped keep everybody on the same page. The Sabres GM's all seemed to hire strangers as HC and there didn't seem to be any actual plan on how to build the team.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In fairness the Bills were a mess for years. Maybe it's like James Dolan in New York? The Rangers were good for awhile and he drove the Knicks off a cliff, now the Knicks are good and he's screwing with the Rangers. They just need to be involved in some way.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They got lucky with the Bills - keep in mind their first coaching hire was fucking Rex Ryan lol.

They hit on hiring Sean McDermott as HC. He led them to hire Beane as GM and their previous relationship helped keep everybody on the same page. The Sabres GM's all seemed to hire strangers as HC and there didn't seem to be any actual plan on how to build the team.
I give them a mild pass on Rex Ryan because they had owned the team for only a couple months and were supposedly blind-sided by Marrone's decision to leave (he supposedly told the players via a group text).

Nobody was thrilled with Sexy Rexy when he was hired, but he was a known commodity for the Bills in a pretty lean year for new coaches. If nothing else, he was a space filler for them to get their own guys in there.

But yeah, I do kinda agree that McD was a lucky/good hire. I suppose if any one of the Sabres hired had hit the same way, we wouldn't be discussing them in this thread :gaah: