• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Ranked #4

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TCU is going to have a really really good team this year. They are stacked everywhere. They are returning most everyone - and they get their QB back who was suspended last season.

OSU is the next likely Big 12 suitor. They seem to be the media darlings of the Big 12 right now, but I have them ranked #3.

1) Texas/TCU
2) TCU/Texas
3) Oklahoma State
4) Baylor (surprise team)
5) OU

Why do you think TCU is a juggernaut all of a sudden? Because they're in the Big 12? They are the purple version of Boise ST and Boise gets hammered by everyone on these boards for winning with a cream puff schedule. TCU did the same thing for years. They finally have a chance to prove they belong with the big boys but I personally don't think so. First year in the Big 12 and they go 7-6 which is their worst record in 8 years. Coincidence? I think not. They found out what playing AQ teams every week was like. I know there QB got hurt/drunk/whatever, so lets see what this loaded team does this year in a weak Big 12! They just better hope their QB isn't loaded! :laugh3:

Texas could be a sleeper team. They do have a lot of players returning but Phil Steele is going for the shock treatment. You know, the one team all the prognosticators have to put up there to get people talking. I'm just tired of picking Texas. Every year I think they might be back and they disappoint. They're liable to change offensive and defensive schemes in the middle of the year. :gaah:

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is what Texas faced in conference in 2012:

Oklahoma - 5th senior quarterback, top WR senior
Kansas State - 5th year senior quarterback, top WR senior
Texas Tech - 5th year senior quarterback, top WR senior
Iowa State - 5th year senior quarterback, top WR senior
Kansas - 5th year senior quarterback, top WR senior
Baylor - 5th year senior quarterback, top WR senior
West Virginia - senior quarter, top WR senior

The Big 12 was very senior laden in 2012.

A lot of the optimism in 2013 stems from the fact Texas returns everyone and most of the other teams are decimated by personnel losses.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that Texas has top 5 talent. Maybe when they were recuited they were rancked that high but I don't see it on the field last year. How many longhorns were top 5 at their position last year? Was David Ash a top 5 QB? Were any of the RBs top 5? Was there a top 5 O-lineman? Vicaro may have been top 5 but he's gone. There definately wasn't a top 5 WR last year.

Either the talent was overrated coming out of HS or it wasn't developed bythe coaching staff in Austin. What ever the reason, I just don't see Texs as having the talent of a top 5 team.

Texas most certainly does have top 5 talent, I'm sorry you don't see it. You probably didn't see it in Vaccarro last year either.

David Ash is a serviceable QB. The true talent is the RBs, DL, and secondary. All they really need is the OL to step up and the LBs to perform.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas most certainly does have top 5 talent, I'm sorry you don't see it. You probably didn't see it in Vaccarro last year either.

David Ash is a serviceable QB. The true talent is the RBs, DL, and secondary. All they really need is the OL to step up and the LBs to perform.

I guess you didn't see where I stated "Vicaro may have been top 5 but he's gone."

Who is the top 5 RB? The leading rusher for Texas last year bairly broke 700 yards and he's going to be a top 5 rusher? Maybe you were refering to the unit as a whole. Lat year the top 3 combined rushers for t.u. had less than 1600 yards.

You have top 5 players in the secondary? You do realize that the secondary is a defensice position and requires some idea of how to tackle? The Texas secondary sure didn't show that skill in several games last year.

Ash can be a serviceable QB but sooner or later he is going to have to win a game. The defense is going to load up to stop the run. Ash is going to have to make throws and someone is going to have to catch it. Who is the top 5 WR on the longhorns?

I don't see top 5 talent on the the team. maybe someone steps up but as of right now, I don't see it there.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you didn't see where I stated "Vicaro may have been top 5 but he's gone."

Who is the top 5 RB? The leading rusher for Texas last year bairly broke 700 yards and he's going to be a top 5 rusher? Maybe you were refering to the unit as a whole. Lat year the top 3 combined rushers for t.u. had less than 1600 yards.

You have top 5 players in the secondary? You do realize that the secondary is a defensice position and requires some idea of how to tackle? The Texas secondary sure didn't show that skill in several games last year.

Ash can be a serviceable QB but sooner or later he is going to have to win a game. The defense is going to load up to stop the run. Ash is going to have to make throws and someone is going to have to catch it. Who is the top 5 WR on the longhorns?

I don't see top 5 talent on the the team. maybe someone steps up but as of right now, I don't see it there.

1) Our best RB last year was a true freshman, who split duties with 2 others. There will still be split duties this year, but you absolutely have to expect vast improvement from a true freshman returning 100% of his offensive line.

2) WR - We have Mike Davis and Jaxon Shipley. I agree neither is a top 5 - but we have a core of WRs that leaves no weakness. Ash just has to find the open player.

3) I personally think we have one of the best tandem CB units in the entire country. You will be hard pressed to find 2 or 3 better units. Safety may be our only concern - but I honestly think we will be just fine there.

** The ONLY questions on this team are Linebacker and QB.

At LB - We return everybody. We also bring back Hicks, who is our absolute best LB and was injured most of last year.

At QB - Ash is no top qb. I completely agree here. However, when he was on he was as good as anyone. When he was off he was not just bad, but flat out awful. However, we have McCoy who has come in each of his first 3 years and saved our butts last minute when the starter could not get it done. He has sway and moxy, and is not afraid of the moment. I trust him in the 1 or 2 games we need him in.

Aggies better be glad they don't have to play us this year.:suds:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Our best RB last year was a true freshman, who split duties with 2 others. There will still be split duties this year, but you absolutely have to expect vast improvement from a true freshman returning 100% of his offensive line.

2) WR - We have Mike Davis and Jaxon Shipley. I agree neither is a top 5 - but we have a core of WRs that leaves no weakness. Ash just has to find the open player.

3) I personally think we have one of the best tandem CB units in the entire country. You will be hard pressed to find 2 or 3 better units. Safety may be our only concern - but I honestly think we will be just fine there.

** The ONLY questions on this team are Linebacker and QB.

At LB - We return everybody. We also bring back Hicks, who is our absolute best LB and was injured most of last year.

At QB - Ash is no top qb. I completely agree here. However, when he was on he was as good as anyone. When he was off he was not just bad, but flat out awful. However, we have McCoy who has come in each of his first 3 years and saved our butts last minute when the starter could not get it done. He has sway and moxy, and is not afraid of the moment. I trust him in the 1 or 2 games we need him in.

Texas better be glad they don't have to play A&M this year.:suds:

fify

tech_iceman

#winning
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol @ anyone who thinks that Tech even has a chance to beat Texas this year

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he continues to grow as a player (as I think he will) - Jonathan Gray is a Top 5 RB in the country for sure. His vision, speed, power, etc., was great last year as a frosh. He looked like a 5th year senior out there with his maturity.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gray was definitely a top-5 back out of high school. I honestly didn't see much of him this past year though....through my own fault, not his lack of production.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gray was definitely a top-5 back out of high school. I honestly didn't see much of him this past year though....through my own fault, not his lack of production.

Joe Bergeron got a lot of the carries. Seniority rules. But Gray is by far the most talented.

I wish Malcolm Brown would step up too and make a really good 1-2 punch.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is what Texas faced in conference in 2012:

Oklahoma - 5th senior quarterback, top WR senior
Kansas State - 5th year senior quarterback, top WR senior
Texas Tech - 5th year senior quarterback, top WR senior
Iowa State - 5th year senior quarterback, top WR senior
Kansas - 5th year senior quarterback, top WR senior
Baylor - 5th year senior quarterback, top WR senior
West Virginia - senior quarter, top WR senior

The Big 12 was very senior laden in 2012.

A lot of the optimism in 2013 stems from the fact Texas returns everyone and most of the other teams are decimated by personnel losses.

So is Texas good or everyone else bad? Is that how a top 5 team should be determined? I'll never understand the fans who just say this teams record is this and that teams record is that. Even with a playoff it will never be exact and if you can not tell a good team from a bad team by watching than something's wrong. Good teams execute and win games decisively while teams that have good records but are overrated barely squeak by, game after game. (see Notre Dame). See Oklahoma St two years ago. Great teams dominate!!!

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is Texas good or everyone else bad? Is that how a top 5 team should be determined? I'll never understand the fans who just say this teams record is this and that teams record is that. Even with a playoff it will never be exact and if you can not tell a good team from a bad team by watching than something's wrong. Good teams execute and win games decisively while teams that have good records but are overrated barely squeak by, game after game. (see Notre Dame). See Oklahoma St two years ago. Great teams dominate!!!

Depends if your team is based in Idaho or not

:behindsofa:

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is Texas good or everyone else bad?

It is a combination of both things.

Texas got very lucky that a perfect storm of events is happening for them in 2013.
Texas fans are exceedingly optimistic about 2013 for both reasons.

1. The Big 12 is not bad, Nobody is saying that. But it is in a transition year. 8 of the 10 teams have brand new quarterbacks. Some may prosper, but the odds are that many will take a little while to develop.

The two co-champs of last year lost a ton. I think K-state loses a staggering 17 starters. OU always reloads, but they will be very very very young.

2. Texas is in fact pretty good. They return 20 starters from a 9 win team. They also get back their two best injured 2012 defensive players who were the leaders of the top 10 defense from 2011. So, essentially they get two bonus starters to go with the 20 returning starters.

Now the schedule is challenging. And the margin for error is thin.

things can go sideways quickly in the world of NCAA football.

But, there is a fair degree of very much warranted optimism in Austin.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU is stacked on offense. You can pretend like our QB situation is sketchy but its not. 4 returning O-line lead by C Ikard is the strength of this unit. RB, WR all loaded with skill. Top that off with the best FB in the country in Millard. They will be ready to bulldoze over defenses.

The defense is young but the secondary is strong. If the D line can get pressure, which added two 300+ pounders to the line up this year, should help create some double teams. I hope they show improvement or its going to be a long season.

The conference gets decided October 12.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU is stacked on offense. You can pretend like our QB situation is sketchy but its not. 4 returning O-line lead by C Ikard is the strength of this unit. RB, WR all loaded with skill. Top that off with the best FB in the country in Millard. They will be ready to bulldoze over defenses.

The defense is young but the secondary is strong. If the D line can get pressure, which added two 300+ pounders to the line up this year, should help create some double teams. I hope they show improvement or its going to be a long season.

The conference gets decided October 12.

I'll agree you are stacked on offense. But NOBODY but an OU fan believes you have a QB. I saw the spring game......you got NOBODY worth a damn under center.

Your defense isn't stout either, especially that secondary. You had two of your best leave last year and neither got drafted.

OU defensively was worse against the run than Texas was, and Texas had their worst ever defense last season.

I think OU has a LOT more holes than you realize.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty good on defense. Lot of good talent returning. The Manny Diaz scheme is wasting this talent IMO.

Texas needs a duel threat QB to win the B12 not a duel QB threat. Pick a guy and stick with him. The offense needs a leader to rally behind.

I actually like OSU and TCU to turn a lot of heads in the B12 and Briles has built a pretty good program at Baylol so they can't be considered easy wins anymore. But all these teams lost some pretty good seniors so the B12 is set up for Texas to take.

Top 4? Maybe. Wouldn't be surprised if they finish in the top 10. 4 might be a little optimistic but we'll see.

Now I'll put my maroon-shaded glasses back on. Fuck tu.