• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas players flunk Strong's motivational test

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haha OU fans are praying to their trailer god that Strong loses this team. Strong clearly is using the media to send a message to his team, that you should hate to lose, and should be motivated every saturday. Will it work, we'll see. But talk of him being too mean, or UT players not wanting to play for him are dumb.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Puzzling...do you want to encourage players to treat the locker room disrespectfully? Or to take it upon themselves to remove materials from bulletin boards that coaches have put up? I find this odd...but apparently he has made it clear that he wants his players to do that when the material is offensive.

I think the stupidest thing was to ask players to remember how badly they got beat last time. That's the football equivalent of a golfer telling himself "don't hit it in the water."

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who all posting here ever played the game, football? Just curious.

the reason I'm curious, is to measure how someone, as a player, should respond to this picture thing. Just want to get a reading.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously a lot of us have played at least up to the high school level. I would doubt there are many of us in here who have played at anything higher than DII level in college, and would be shocked if there were more than a handful that played at a D-1 school.

If my HS coach had put up an article like that, I doubt any of us would have angrily torn it down...but they never did anything like that if my memory is accurate.

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously a lot of us have played at least up to the high school level. I would doubt there are many of us in here who have played at anything higher than DII level in college, and would be shocked if there were more than a handful that played at a D-1 school.

If my HS coach had put up an article like that, I doubt any of us would have angrily torn it down...but they never did anything like that if my memory is accurate.

yeah i could see it happening in a pro locker room, but nothing lower

coach is the boss (and often a father figure)

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is, in football, there has to be a level of fear. You think Stoops' players dont fear him, just a little? Or Saban's players? The Bear?

I remember once, when our coach put up the stats of the last game we played with a particular opponent. Mine, and some others, were not good.

I took that shit down, tore it up into little pieces, and flushed it. I also got into trouble.

But I think players have to have a certain level of fear/respect for their coach. If they dont, they will surely suck.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the reason I'm curious, is to measure how someone, as a player, should respond to this picture thing. Just want to get a reading.

Yes. I have seen it put in college locker room and even had a letter sent to my home from a high school coach for motivation. I think Strong is surprised by the lack of passion. Not sure that is much of a surprise to people who have followed Texas that last few years. Anyone watched 2 of the last 3 RRS?

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Puzzling...do you want to encourage players to treat the locker room disrespectfully? Or to take it upon themselves to remove materials from bulletin boards that coaches have put up? I find this odd...but apparently he has made it clear that he wants his players to do that when the material is offensive.

I think the stupidest thing was to ask players to remember how badly they got beat last time. That's the football equivalent of a golfer telling himself "don't hit it in the water."

No, no. I disagree totally.

Football is a game of PERSONAL PRIDE. It's about beating the guy in front of you. It is indeed a macho thing. That's just the way the game is.

If you dont have any pride, or if it does not hurt to lose, than you are playing the wrong sport.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched Louisville go from literal shit to a top 10 bcs level team under strong. texas is going in the right direction.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My above post goes against everything in the way MBrown was... He didnt want to 'hurt' his players' pride. He was soft. I'm sorry, I like the guy, and I appreciate that he brought the Texas program back out of the doldrums, but it was his way. If you screw up, he claps and tries to keep it positive. There was no accountability.

And that is why you see what you see now with this team. At the very least, Strong's number one priority is to change that mind set. If it doesnt change, they'll never be great again. Just my opinions.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they can't pass a motivational test, I wonder what their grades are like?

Too soon. That remains to be seen.

I would venture to say that they'll be good student athletes overall. There-in lies the question. Pelini and Golden run a tight ship regarding grades and their programs have slipped to 3rd or even 4th tier. Will that also hinder Texas?

I've thought that Texas can overcome that better than Nebraska can because Texas has a giant recruiting base. However, having a giant recruiting base hasn't helped Miami.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rule #1:

If your team needs bulletin board material to get up for a game, you might be a texico donghorn.

big12champs_star.jpg

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, no. I disagree totally.

Football is a game of PERSONAL PRIDE. It's about beating the guy in front of you. It is indeed a macho thing. That's just the way the game is.

If you dont have any pride, or if it does not hurt to lose, than you are playing the wrong sport.

Oh, I agree that one must have pride to play a competitive sport. I just don't think it's a good idea to bring a negative image into one's mind in order to motivate towards positive results. After all, emotion can only take you so far, talent and execution have to do the rest. Would Savannah State's players benefit from tearing down a news story about a previous year's ass-raping at the hands of Florida State?

I can't count the number of times I've heard a professional coach or athlete make a statement like the following: "You should already be motivated enough to win without resorting to those kinds of things (like taunting quotes from opposing players)." Maybe it's still effective on some level with collegiate athletes, but I have doubts about that.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the very least, Strong's number one priority is to change that mind set. If it doesnt change, they'll never be great again. Just my opinions.

It will change. Macks guys might not buy in, and it certainly doesnt appear that they are, but once Charlie has his guys, it's a whole new ball game.

Weather the storm...:suds:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I played from pop-warner through high school. I also served 8 years in the military.

I would NOT have taken the material down if I knew it had been posted by the coaches.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really curious to see how the team responds this week. Do they lay another egg, or come out and fight?

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Current APR - University of Texas football , perfect score 1000
Mens Hoops also got a 1000 as well.

They got the academics seemingly figured out.

I see the Texas media reporting 1.000, but the NCAA website does not report that

It reports the 2012 2013 season as 947 which tied the 2008-2009 season, which is also what the media reported. 947 cannot be the high score as other schools have higher numbers. Vanderbilt has scores as high as 978.

NCAA - Academic Progress Rate

I wonder why the discrepancy?

If you search on Louisville, it does not show a 1.000 like Louisville claims. But it also shows a score of 947. But it does show that Louisville was on academic probation in 2010. That head coach was fired and Strong replaced him.

By golly, there is a parallel here.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Spurrier took over at South Carolina, he had a similar fight with his program. Too many guys were just used to losing and didn't care about the outcome of football games because they were still treated like royalty on campus. And this at a program that is all-time .500 or worse, nothing like the traditions of UT.

He's got his kinds of players on campus now. We've all seen the results in the previous four seasons.

I'm guessing Strong will bring things around if given enough time. He's a great coach and a solid human being. Are Alums patient enough to sit through a couple years of sub-standard ball? Cause culture don't change overnight.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Spurrier took over at South Carolina, he had a similar fight with his program. Too many guys were just used to losing and didn't care about the outcome of football games because they were still treated like royalty on campus. And this at a program that is all-time .500 or worse, nothing like the traditions of UT.

He's got his kinds of players on campus now. We've all seen the results in the previous four seasons.

I'm guessing Strong will bring things around if given enough time. He's a great coach and a solid human being. Are Alums patient enough to sit through a couple years of sub-standard ball? Cause culture don't change overnight.
Yes. McWilliams(7-5 4-7 5-6 11-1 5-6) and Mackovic(6-5 5-5-1 8-4 10-2-1 8-5 4-7) were both fired after their teams did a back slide.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New sign Strong is putting up in the Texas locker room.

SouthBend.jpg