• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas players flunk Strong's motivational test

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played from pop-warner through high school. I also served 8 years in the military.

I would NOT have taken the material down if I knew it had been posted by the coaches.

thanks for the feedback, just trying to get some opinions.

I'm thinking he was looking for something, anything, from the leaders. Not necessarily tearing things down, but something. Some life, some fire, some passion. Someone who seems bothered by losing like that. Anyway, that's my perception. This team has been the opposite of being passionate about the game the past few years.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Spurrier took over at South Carolina, he had a similar fight with his program. Too many guys were just used to losing and didn't care about the outcome of football games because they were still treated like royalty on campus. And this at a program that is all-time .500 or worse, nothing like the traditions of UT.

He's got his kinds of players on campus now. We've all seen the results in the previous four seasons.

I'm guessing Strong will bring things around if given enough time. He's a great coach and a solid human being. Are Alums patient enough to sit through a couple years of sub-standard ball? Cause culture don't change overnight.

You never know how boosters will react. I think you are seeing exactly what you are talking Spurrier went through and maybe more accurately Holtz. Strong is wielding a hammer right now,, Pretty typical MO of any new management. It is easy to relax the rules, but it is hard to step up the discipline once you have established a culture

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks for the feedback, just trying to get some opinions.

I'm thinking he was looking for something, anything, from the leaders. Not necessarily tearing things down, but something. Some life, some fire, some passion. Someone who seems bothered by losing like that. Anyway, that's my perception. This team has been the opposite of being passionate about the game the past few years.

Strong wanted them to tear it down. He would have yelled and put it back up, but walked out of the locker room smiling.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who all posting here ever played the game, football? Just curious.

the reason I'm curious, is to measure how someone, as a player, should respond to this picture thing. Just want to get a reading.

If you think this is strictly a football issue, then this situation is already beyond your grasp. This is a leadership issue, this is a continuity issue. You can't punish an action one time and then expect people to be motivated by it the next.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oops, there's that damn asterisk again....:clap:

big12champs_star.jpg

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have zero doubts about this team or the coach.
It sucked having the entire offense either injured, suspended, or kicked off the team by the STRONG PURGES. But, I supported the move.

Texas was essentially trying to beat BYU with only defense....and literally zero offense.
The result was not surprising with the personnel dressed for the game.

A lot of the suspended guys will come back soon
Strong is not going to keep these suspensions forever.
The young guys will develop as best they can in the meantime.

The front half of the schedule was always going to be daunting.
The team will likely start rolling and finish strong as the young guys get better/schedule gets easier.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think this is strictly a football issue, then this situation is already beyond your grasp. This is a leadership issue, this is a continuity issue. You can't punish an action one time and then expect people to be motivated by it the next.

trying to figure this one out. I must be missing the pt. Are you saying Strong cant punish things like stealing, r*pe, and drug use and not punish someone for pulling down a press clipping in the locker room??

taka85

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charlie Strong sounds like one of those people that pulls up next to a Corvette at a red light and "beats" it in a race, even though the Corvette didn't know they were racing.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
trying to figure this one out. I must be missing the pt. Are you saying Strong cant punish things like stealing, r*pe, and drug use and not punish someone for pulling down a press clipping in the locker room??

No, I'm saying he can't punish someone back in the spring for tearing down a poster in the locker room and then get mad when no one tears down a poster in the locker room last week.

I'll have to look for the story, but there was one out there that someone was punished back in the spring for doing just that. Right now everything google returns this BYU-week story.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I'm saying he can't punish someone back in the spring for tearing down a poster in the locker room and then get mad when no one tears down a poster in the locker room last week.

I'll have to look for the story, but there was one out there that someone was punished back in the spring for doing just that. Right now everything google returns this BYU-week story.

I honestly never heard of a Postergate

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that the comma speaks way louder than the asterisk...

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, that was my point: He's trying to change the mind-set, the culture, of the football program, and maybe the entire athletics program. I have no doubt that is why he was hired (also to win games, of course).

I didnt hear about the earlier poster event, but I think what was on the posters would be the determining factor. If there was an earlier poster event, it probably was the one about no more living off campus unless you're an upper classman, or some other new rule. If the players dont know the difference in the posters (one being a set of new rules, and the other being pictures of their sorry ass performance the last time they played BYU) then they are indeed lost.

You are right, this is ABSOLUTELY ABOUT MORE THAN FOOTBALL. The situation in that department has been fucked up for a number of years: there are people on the payroll under MB's regimes later years, that are relatives, friends, etc., getting 100G a year to do nothing. That's all going away. I'm serious about it being a country club atmosphere, for the players almost like intramural sports. That is what the new coach is trying to change.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On another note, Cedric Reed needs to be benched for the rest of the season until he shows he wants to play. Holy shit I didn't realize how bad he played and how lazy he looked out there until Ahmad Brooks called him out on the LHN and showed some of his plays against BYU. Guys like him and that attitude are the reason this team has been average since 2010.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh man... This is just so god damn enjoyable to watch from a distance. Burn. Burn baby burn..