• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas dismisses Deoundri Davis

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. Coach Strong knows he doesn't have 4-5 years to turn it around, especially since we saw Auburn go from 3-9 to playing for the BCS title overnight with a new coach. The era of waiting 20 something years for coaches to win NC's are over (Osborne, Bowden for example). It won't be this year, but I expect this team to contend for the conference title and playoff starting next year. Coach Strong is the right man to turn it around quickly.

Please stop using Auburn going from 3-9 to playing for BCS titles to make it out like just any old team could do such a thing. It's plain nuts. The circumstances for Auburn are not normal.

Auburn was pulling in top talent the entire time, there was no purge.

Many of the players recruited were recruited by Gus. Remember he was only gone for 1 year - the 3-9 year and then still had a chance to recruit at the end of that year. There was no change in system, there was no need to get his own players, none of that. He came in and he had exactly what he wanted already because he built it already. Talent wise and system wise.

Gus should get credit for 2010, not toothless cheesedick.

So that is how that happens. It's not going to just up and happen 99% of the time when you get a new coach.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to see all the adversity at Texas, but love to see the "take no shit" attitude of coach Strong. What he is doing at Texas should (but probably won't, says the cynic in me) reverberate throughout college football.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please stop using Auburn going from 3-9 to playing for BCS titles to make it out like just any old team could do such a thing. It's plain nuts. The circumstances for Auburn are not normal.

Auburn was pulling in top talent the entire time, there was no purge.

Many of the players recruited were recruited by Gus. Remember he was only gone for 1 year - the 3-9 year and then still had a chance to recruit at the end of that year. There was no change in system, there was no need to get his own players, none of that. He came in and he had exactly what he wanted already because he built it already. Talent wise and system wise.

Gus should get credit for 2010, not toothless cheesedick.

So that is how that happens. It's not going to just up and happen 99% of the time when you get a new coach.

AU is a good example to look at. Fact is, they went 3-9 and their new coach turned it around in his 1st year. Grant it, AU was also an ass hair away from 6 losses, but a shit ton of luck fell on their side (almost seemed like Malzahn might have sold his soul to the devil). There is no reason why Texas shouldn't CONTEND for a conference title and the playoff berth. Not saying Texas should win the conference title, but why is it out of ordinary to suggest Texas should be a contender? This isn't Baylor, Aggy or fucking TTECH. We're motherfucking TEXAS!!!! But really, I firmly believe this team will be a contender in year 2. Charlie Strong has proven what he can do already and he's getting paid $5M a year to do it. Seems like a shit ton of Texas fans and alumni have already written off this season; I can tell you this Texas Exes sure as hell hasn't......

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AU is a good example to look at. Fact is, they went 3-9 and their new coach turned it around in his 1st year. Grant it, AU was also an ass hair away from 6 losses, but a shit ton of luck fell on their side (almost seemed like Malzahn might have sold his soul to the devil). There is no reason why Texas shouldn't CONTEND for a conference title and the playoff berth. Not saying Texas should win the conference title, but why is it out of ordinary to suggest Texas should be a contender? This isn't Baylor, Aggy or fucking TTECH. We're motherfucking TEXAS!!!! But really, I firmly believe this team will be a contender in year 2. Charlie Strong has proven what he can do already and he's getting paid $5M a year to do it. Seems like a shit ton of Texas fans and alumni have already written off this season; I can tell you this Texas Exes sure as hell hasn't......

Whatever, you are the one that has to deal with the reality at some point, not me.

Everyone else thinks you're dumb, and you are determined to prove them right.

longhorn718

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am pumped.

When you listen to the guys who "get it" and buy into the system, there is a sense of focus and willpower that has not been in Austin for a while.

It makes you as a fan want to put on pads and go kill yourself in practice for Coach Strong.
It is beyond refreshing to see this new attitude and culture.

Strong will have "his guys" ready to run through a brick wall for him while scoring 1000 on APR rates and doing the university proud.

Texas will finally have an identity.
I am 110% sold on the long term future of this program.

2014 will be a season of pride regardless of the W-L record.

So much THIS. I'm all in. It's going to be a rough few years at first, but we'll get back there.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it will be rougher than what we just went through the last 4 years. Charlie has said time and again that this team has talent and most of the players have bought in and worked very hard. We might not contend for a playoff birth for awhile but I expect similar won loss records than what we were getting with Mack if not better the next couple seasons. I am good with that and will be patient as long as I see improvement in the team and a team that plays hard.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charlie's doing what he needs to do and that's stick to his guns in all situations. Otherwise he won't be taken seriously down the road. Once you make the statements that you won't tolerate this or that you can't go back.

Whether that type of coaching will have success at Texas remains to be seen. It hasn't really worked for Miami since Shalala came in to clean up the program, and they get similar talent to Texas.

Pelini runs a tight ship at Nebraska and averages 4 losses a year, but he doesn't have the talent Texas gets.

longhorn718

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying we're devoid of talent, nor is my pessimism at a level that I feel we'll have losing seasons strung in a row. However, I expect even more growing pains as the players, both new and old, continue to adjust to the new regime. Yes the remaining players are talented, but as others have already mentioned, we are not deep in many positions. If we're lucky, there will be no more injuries this season, but I'm not banking on that. Lastly, I admit to being quite spoiled. To me, 6-7 wins is rough. My time at the university coincided with Mack's upswing, and I got quite used to 9+ wins each year. Yes history and yes cycles, but that doesn't mean I will take it with complete stoicism.

Like I said though, I'm all in. If I'm wrong about the team struggling, then so be it. Strangely enough, I won't be upset over them winning more games than I expected.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was a Texas fan I'd just view this season as an investment, Strong is doing the right thing he just needs enough time and support to get it done.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was a Texas fan I'd just view this season as an investment, Strong is doing the right thing he just needs enough time and support to get it done.

Texas is playoff bound. I heard it from a Texas fan and they know their team best.

longhorn718

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas is playoff bound. I heard it from a Texas fan and they know their team best.

I'm just waiting for Swoopes' final numbers before I start his Heisman thread.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am pumped.

When you listen to the guys who "get it" and buy into the system, there is a sense of focus and willpower that has not been in Austin for a while.

It makes you as a fan want to put on pads and go kill yourself in practice for Coach Strong.
It is beyond refreshing to see this new attitude and culture.

Strong will have "his guys" ready to run through a brick wall for him while scoring 1000 on APR rates and doing the university proud.

Texas will finally have an identity.
I am 110% sold on the long term future of this program.

2014 will be a season of pride regardless of the W-L record.

Agreed. I've been saying Charlie is doing the right thing. You control this team - they don't control you. However, I am not optimistic about this season. 13 players gone? Wow!