• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas culture change.....

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things are certainly different in Austin.

Big time recruit comes in last week for a visit, and remarked - "You have to be a MAN to survive that program. If you're a boy, don't come here"

THAT is the most significant thing I've heard about Texas and Charlie Strong since the regime change. I have full confidence this team will be where it needs to be by the end of THIS year in terms of toughness and physical play.

I think in the next 2 years you will see Texas return to prominence. Today's press conference for the upcoming game is an eye opener.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Day 1: How to win a coin toss
Day 2: When to tear down a poster and when not to
Day 3: Millionaires!

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Day 1: How to win a coin toss
:lol: UCLA won the coin toss and it didn't affect the game.

You might have meant, "What to do when the other team defers until after halftime.", but one never knows with you guys.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things are certainly different in Austin.

Big time recruit comes in last week for a visit, and remarked - "You have to be a MAN to survive that program. If you're a boy, don't come here"

THAT is the most significant thing I've heard about Texas and Charlie Strong since the regime change. I have full confidence this team will be where it needs to be by the end of THIS year in terms of toughness and physical play.

I think in the next 2 years you will see Texas return to prominence. Today's press conference for the upcoming game is an eye opener.

2 years is tough especially with all the player exits I would revise to 4 years and let the majority of the team be Strong recruits before I raised my expectations significantly. The good news is you are in the Big12 so you're really only chasing two other programs.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: UCLA won the coin toss and it didn't affect the game.

You might have meant, "What to do when the other team defers until after halftime.", but one never knows with you guys.

lel, right. Losing a possession in a 3 point game "didn't affect the game".

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 years is tough especially with all the player exits I would revise to 4 years and let the majority of the team be Strong recruits before I raised my expectations significantly. The good news is you are in the Big12 so you're really only chasing two other programs.

dunno, but I'd say maybe 3 or 4, not 2. OU, OSU, Baylor and maybe KSU

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saying 2 years tops.

I see this team coming together and the roster is VERY young. They are becoming the players he needs them to be.......and recruits are noticing the difference already.

The team isn't devoid of talent. It's been devoid of COACHING for years now. That's changing here. I like what I'm seeing. The on field results will come.......this will be a totally different team by year's end.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saying 2 years tops.

I see this team coming together and the roster is VERY young. They are becoming the players he needs them to be.......and recruits are noticing the difference already.

The team isn't devoid of talent. It's been devoid of COACHING for years now. That's changing here. I like what I'm seeing. The on field results will come.......this will be a totally different team by year's end.

I don't know your team like you do but from what I have read is that you have the following:

O-Line issues which will take 2 to 3 years to fix.
QB issue which rarely is a freshman effective and I don't think you have anyone on campus.
Defense - No clue what you need here.
Leadership - This is the big one sounds like for the next two years you will be kinda of young and that means a leadership void on the team. It sucks but it is 100% true just ask USC.

You have to think about this almost the same way you look at scholarship reductions because the upperclassmen and leadership void will be similar. Trust me I've been down this road when Tuberville left you either get incredible luck with some junior college transfers or it is a 2 to 3 year rebuilding effort.

I don't blame you if you can't see it right now, most don't, but 2 years in and it will be pretty obvious.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lel, right. Losing a possession in a 3 point game "didn't affect the game".

Actually it did not. Texas was not gettign the 2nd half kick. Texas could have received the opening kickoff. They screwed that up. Now in the half where UCLA "got an extra possession" the score was 10-3 Texas and the possessions were equal for the half. Now it was an ignorant mistake, but the reactions and comments to it have far surpassed the original moment of ignorance.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"You have to be a MAN to survive that program. If you're a boy, don't come here"

Gotta love it.

I think Charlie was a great hire for Texas.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know your team like you do but from what I have read is that you have the following:

O-Line issues which will take 2 to 3 years to fix.--I hate to agree, but this not an area that generally lends itself to a qucik fix
QB issue which rarely is a freshman effective and I don't think you have anyone on campus. Swoopes has progressed farther than anyone though in the last 2 games, so you can not write him off. Heard is a true fish and highly recruited. Gentry is a a 4 star kid coming in next year. Looking forward I dont see this as a disaster anymore. Just not a good situation for 2014, might be 2016 until it is a strength
Defense - No clue what you need here.DL is really shallow. Solid talent, but it is not deep. Thank Mack for goign 2 years without a DT and a 1 yr without a DL period. That will show up next year at DT
Leadership - This is the big one sounds like for the next two years you will be kinda of young and that means a leadership void on the team. It sucks but it is 100% true just ask USC.

You have to think about this almost the same way you look at scholarship reductions because the upperclassmen and leadership void will be similar. Trust me I've been down this road when Tuberville left you either get incredible luck with some junior college transfers or it is a 2 to 3 year rebuilding effort.

I don't blame you if you can't see it right now, most don't, but 2 years in and it will be pretty obvious.

I think 3 years until you start to see what Charlie can bring to the table. Probably season 4 until there is a playoff team, but you never know

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 3 years until you start to see what Charlie can bring to the table. Probably season 4 until there is a playoff team, but you never know

That is what I think and the big question is can your fanbase be patient? However it isn't as hard to make progress in the B12 so that could accelerate things because you could get lucky once and find yourself in the playoff.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It will start at the point where there are more of his kids in the locker room than Macs.

At least thats how I view it at UW.

Lots of undertone about how Coach Pete is shocked at what Sarks kids are accustomed to. They either got to buy in, or you have to wait until they're gone. One way or the other.

BeaverShaver

Blocked, Ignored, and Hated in equal parts (12)
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Strong doesnt work out, Harbaugh may be available after this year......just sayin

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is what I think and the big question is can your fanbase be patient? However it isn't as hard to make progress in the B12 so that could accelerate things because you could get lucky once and find yourself in the playoff.

depends on what you see. This is year is dead. I think intelligent fans realize this is a rebuild. There needs to be improvement next year. If it 5-6 wins this yr, 8-9 next, and 9-10 wins in year 3 Charlie is fine. I think the record will rise faster than the actual talent will, so I think Charlie is fine. I wouldnt be shocked if year 3 was a playoff berth and a quick ass whopping in the playoffs. One of those things where the team is 10-15, but the schedule gets you to top 5 prior bowl season.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worry if he starts saying "wayyyllllllll" a lot or starts saying "toughness" every other word.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was a new thread necessary for this info?

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither of you had to read or comment in it if you don't approve......IJS