• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tennis Players Need Protection

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After what happened today to Roger Federer where a selfie-seeking fan jumped on the court unimpeded to have a selfie with Federer I say more efforts need to be made to prevent fans from getting as close as possible to the players. This is getting out of hand.

We know what happened to Monica Seles when she was stabbed by a deranged fan of Steffi Graf that effectively ended a promising career . This must be taken seriously. Read more from here:

Roger Federer upset after being approached on French Open court by selfie-seeking fan

"I'm not happy about it, obviously not one second I'm happy about it," Federer said. "It happened [Saturday] in the practice, too. And today on center court, where you would think this is a place where nobody can come on, just wanders on and nothing happens."
So I definitely think this is [a change] that something needs to happen quickly. But obviously want this to happen immediately. Normally I only speak on behalf of myself, but in this situation I think I can speak on behalf of all the players, that that's where you do your job, that's where you want to feel safe. But nothing happened, so I'm relieved. But clearly it wasn't a nice situation to be in."

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:(

+++++++++++++

Roger Federer upset after being approached on French Open court by selfie-seeking fan

The incident occurred despite what Ysern described as heightened security surrounding the tournament in the wake of recent incidents in Paris. Ysern, however, insisted there were no plans to change security procedures, and that the breech occurred due to a "lack of judgment" and later in French an "error of judgment."

Which is euphemism for saying "He is full of shit." Heightened security my foot.Who buys this crap?

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fixes for this are limited. Any fencing or barriers are out of the question for most sporting venues.

It comes down to a secret service type protection. You have to have guys ready to run as soon as a fan lands on the court. I would have it listed on every ticket. Any fan that touches the court is immediacy assumed to a danger to the players and all trespassers are to be tackled to the ground and cuffed. I would love get tassing in there too.

Fiero425

JayCium
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fixes for this are limited. Any fencing or barriers are out of the question for most sporting venues.

It comes down to a secret service type protection. You have to have guys ready to run as soon as a fan lands on the court. I would have it listed on every ticket. Any fan that touches the court is immediacy assumed to a danger to the players and all trespassers are to be tackled to the ground and cuffed. I would love get tassing in there too.

I usually don't go to this extreme, but this "it's all about me" generation needs a reality check! Our sport is one that normally doesn't need security because overall the fans are more civilized, but that bit of class and sophistication is about gone and anything is possible now; hence the need at all for heightened security due to Seles attack! I'm still appalled, shocked, and vengeful over that incident of '93! Hard to believe players were a little peeved her ranking was protected while she took time away from the tour! :2cents: :noidea: :nono:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It comes down to a secret service type protection. You have to have guys ready to run as soon as a fan lands on the court.
That's exactly what all majors have. At least 4-5 security guards on the ground per player on the court.

The ones on that court on that day failed miserably.

The idea of doing anything different is an overreaction for sure, though.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's exactly what all majors have. At least 4-5 security guards on the ground per player on the court.

The ones on that court on that day failed miserably.

The idea of doing anything different is an overreaction for sure, though.

Considering what happened to Monica, you never know when it comes to security. I was happy to see Federer surrounded by all the security today.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
since the monica incident, we get crazies going on court maybe one every other year with the hightened security.

i'm not a social psychologist, but building fences or something like that would just be more motivation for crazies to find a way on court, IMO.

i'm all for adding more on-court security personnel, though.