• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Teams that are officially out of the College Football Playoff already.

nathans8823

Well-Known Notre Dame Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 203.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma - Credit the Sooners for playing tough teams in Houston and Ohio State, but they lost to the Cougars by 10 points and the Buckeyes by 21. The Sooners could still win the Big 12, but would a two-loss team be able to make the playoff without a conference championship game? That’s going to be extremely difficult.

Notre Dame
- Notre Dame gave up 36 unanswered points to Michigan State in South Bend on Saturday. The Irish have to win out to be a two-loss team without the advantage of a conference championship game. The losses to Texas and Michigan State will look better as the season goes on, but the best wins left on the schedule are Stanford and Miami. Would that be enough? Probably not.

Ole Miss -
The Rebels gave up 63 points combined in the second half against Florida State and Alabama in two losses this season. They gave up 20-plus point leads, too. The reward for all this is an undefeated Georgia team next week.

Auburn - The Tigers lost two home games against good teams in Clemson and Texas A&M, and the loser of next week’s game against LSU between Gus Malzahn and Les Miles is going to learn just how hot a seat can get in late September. Auburn quarterbacks have combined for three TD passes in three games. That’s not enough.

USC - The rest of Clay Helton’s first full season at USC is going to be a test. How do you recover from the blowout loss to Alabama and yet another loss to Stanford? USC still could win the Pac-12 championship, but the road to the College Football Playoff seems impossible now.

TEAMS THAT ARE ALMOST OUT:

Florida State - We’ll give a slight disclaimer because they are a one-loss team. Florida State could get back in the playoff hunt if they win out and take the ACC championship. But that 43-point loss to Louisville is going to be extremely difficult to justify to the committee down the road. Consider that the last two seasons the one-loss playoff teams — Alabama (twice), Ohio State, Oregon, Michigan State and Oklahoma — lost by a combined 41 points in their one loss. Ohio State was the only team to lose by double digits. The Seminoles need to win the ACC and get more than just a little help. That loss is going to come up every single time.

Iowa - North Dakota State might be a Top 25 team in the FBS, but the fact is the Hawkeyes lost a tight game at home to a FCS school. That’s going to make it really hard to make it to the College Football Playoff. Remember how the Hawkeyes were being treated as an undefeated team last year? The only path back in would be winning the Big Ten West and a Big Ten championship, but with that loss it’s going to be tough.

Some Info used from MSNSports Five teams who could be out of the College Football Playoff running

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boom! 1st contender out! Suck it!! :cool2:
giphy.gif

VFL1995

Vol For Eternity
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't consider Ole Miss and Auburn out just yet. I don't think either will make the playoff but it's college football and we don't know what will happen. Either one could win out which would give them a 7-1 conference record which could be enough to put them in the SEC Championship. If either win the SEC Championship an 11-2 SEC team will make the playoff

bamafan4evr12

Rising Tide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma - Credit the Sooners for playing tough teams in Houston and Ohio State, but they lost to the Cougars by 10 points and the Buckeyes by 21. The Sooners could still win the Big 12, but would a two-loss team be able to make the playoff without a conference championship game? That’s going to be extremely difficult.

Notre Dame
- Notre Dame gave up 36 unanswered points to Michigan State in South Bend on Saturday. The Irish have to win out to be a two-loss team without the advantage of a conference championship game. The losses to Texas and Michigan State will look better as the season goes on, but the best wins left on the schedule are Stanford and Miami. Would that be enough? Probably not.

Ole Miss -
The Rebels gave up 63 points combined in the second half against Florida State and Alabama in two losses this season. They gave up 20-plus point leads, too. The reward for all this is an undefeated Georgia team next week.

Auburn - The Tigers lost two home games against good teams in Clemson and Texas A&M, and the loser of next week’s game against LSU between Gus Malzahn and Les Miles is going to learn just how hot a seat can get in late September. Auburn quarterbacks have combined for three TD passes in three games. That’s not enough.

USC - The rest of Clay Helton’s first full season at USC is going to be a test. How do you recover from the blowout loss to Alabama and yet another loss to Stanford? USC still could win the Pac-12 championship, but the road to the College Football Playoff seems impossible now.

TEAMS THAT ARE ALMOST OUT:

Florida State - We’ll give a slight disclaimer because they are a one-loss team. Florida State could get back in the playoff hunt if they win out and take the ACC championship. But that 43-point loss to Louisville is going to be extremely difficult to justify to the committee down the road. Consider that the last two seasons the one-loss playoff teams — Alabama (twice), Ohio State, Oregon, Michigan State and Oklahoma — lost by a combined 41 points in their one loss. Ohio State was the only team to lose by double digits. The Seminoles need to win the ACC and get more than just a little help. That loss is going to come up every single time.

Iowa - North Dakota State might be a Top 25 team in the FBS, but the fact is the Hawkeyes lost a tight game at home to a FCS school. That’s going to make it really hard to make it to the College Football Playoff. Remember how the Hawkeyes were being treated as an undefeated team last year? The only path back in would be winning the Big Ten West and a Big Ten championship, but with that loss it’s going to be tough.

Some Info used from MSNSports Five teams who could be out of the College Football Playoff running
I think even if they win the BIG, Iowa is done. A lot depends on what happens elsewhere and how many undefeated teams we may or may not have, but regardless I think Iowa is done. A loss to an FCS team at home (no matter how good they are) is bad in the eyes of the committee

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would consider Florida State out at this point, all year that destruction they suffered at the hands of Louisville will be on everyone's mind. Worst loss by a playoff contender was by 14...Florida State lost by 43

and let's be realistic here, would Florida State do any better than tying Louisville in the division???

Look at Louisville's conference schedule, they get Clemson in 2 weeks and their biggest challenge otherwise might just be Wake Forest at home.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma is not out of it.

Pretty close, but not out of it. I give you a little year called 2007.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't consider Ole Miss and Auburn out just yet. I don't think either will make the playoff but it's college football and we don't know what will happen. Either one could win out which would give them a 7-1 conference record which could be enough to put them in the SEC Championship. If either win the SEC Championship an 11-2 SEC team will make the playoff

Auburn's lost two games already. They're out. Malzhan may not even last the season.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the other four P5 conferences don't have undefeated champions.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd need a ton of really bad things to happen to the other conferences/Houston in order for this to happen. Neither of them is Alabama (or even close), so there would be no benefit of the doubt.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma is not out of it.

Pretty close, but not out of it. I give you a little year called 2007.

On behalf of all Oklahoma fans, we respectfully decline any endorsement of 'not out of it'. This team has a goal in mind and its conference title and a new years bowl. We moving on from playoff talk. Thank you.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On behalf of all Oklahoma fans, we respectfully decline any endorsement of 'not out of it'. This team has a goal in mind and its conference title and a new years bowl. We moving on from playoff talk. Thank you.

tumblr_latq3iKLPs1qd1fjko1_500.gif

You're probably fucked, but not officially yet

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or 1-loss champs.
Well, I would say that, but I think it starts to get tricky at that point, weighing losses against losses. especially when it comes to the BIG 12. Let's say TCU runs the table from here on out with their 1 loss being against Arkansas and they are the BIG 12 champs, yet they don't play a championship game, do they get in over a 2 loss team that plays a championship game?

And another variable I forgot is Houston. If Houston finishes undefeated and 3 of the other P5's (outside of the sec) finish undefeated, I think a 2 loss sec conference champion gets left out as well.

We have a whole lot of football to played yet, but I guess it's fun to speculate and size-up what might happen. Everything is still wide open though. Errbody might have 2 losses before it's over. Wouldn't that be fun?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

USC out? Apparently you've never been to Scenario Village. :dhd:

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tumblr_latq3iKLPs1qd1fjko1_500.gif

You're probably fucked, but not officially yet

No, they're fucked. I think they can win the Big 12. But the Big 12 is a bit down this year:

TCU: That defense looks terrible and this doesn't look like a Gary Patterson team.
Baylor: They're going to look bad now that Art Briles is no longer there.
Texas: That ND win was misleading. Texas premature coronation of being back in the elite picture was premature given their loss to Cal (which is a perennial Pac-12 bottom dweller)
OK St: That loss to Central Michigan is going to hurt.

These are the teams that are slated to contend for the Big 12 title. But as you can see, there's no signature win that exists right now for Oklahoma to make a case to make the playoffs. They'd have to hope that Bama loses two, along with Ohio St. (and hope they don't win the Big 10) as well as UL. A lot of things have to go their way, which it won't.

If at week 3 you're sitting 1-2 and say we still have a glimmer of hope - you don't.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I would say that, but I think it starts to get tricky at that point, weighing losses against losses. especially when it comes to the BIG 12. Let's say TCU runs the table from here on out with their 1 loss being against Arkansas and they are the BIG 12 champs, yet they don't play a championship game, do they get in over a 2 loss team that plays a championship game?

And another variable I forgot is Houston. If Houston finishes undefeated and 3 of the other P5's (outside of the sec) finish undefeated, I think a 2 loss sec conference champion gets left out as well.

We have a whole lot of football to played yet, but I guess it's fun to speculate and size-up what might happen. Everything is still wide open though. Errbody might have 2 losses before it's over. Wouldn't that be fun?
I don't see any non-Alabama SEC team getting the benefit of the doubt. It's questionable to say they're the best conference right now. Bama looks fantastic again. A&M looks pretty good. Otherwise, there's really nothing to be afraid of in that conference. If, somehow, Ole Miss wins that conference, they need every other conference champ to have at minimum one loss and Houston will have to have dropped a game as well.