• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Targeting? What say ye?

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put questionable calls in this thread.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going toward the neck/head will get you a flag erytime.

GUILTY.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
meh

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Go for head and neck when a QB just finished his throwing motion was asking for it. Doesn't matter that it wasn't that hard a hit. QB's tend to get extra protection there. Problem is also, if you go too low on a QB you might get flagged as well. Like Goldilocks it has to be juust right.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TB be like
image.jpg

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Late hit, yes. Targetting, no imo. It appears he hit him in the shoulder area... and it wasn't a blatant, wb threw ball....1...2....3...4... ok lets hit him

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what a shitty rule.

Yes, there are certain plays where it's obvious, blatant and not called for.

But there are many, many plays that are just football plays, and the players should not be penalized.

As for this one? I dont know, let me go back and look at the film clip.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here are our two from yesterday. First one is iffy, but I sort of understand it. It looked bad in real time because the helmet flew off (even though it was because it wasn't tightened, and the contact was to the upper chest). And it was close enough that you may not be able to overturn the initial call.

The second one just blows my mind. It seems to me to be an ordinary diving tackle where the receiver fell into our player. It was the worst upheld targeting call that I can remember. It got a hearty and deserving "bull shit" from our fans.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tackling is a lost art. Everyone is looking for the hit to be on Sportscenter.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here are our two from yesterday. First one is iffy, but I sort of understand it. It looked bad in real time because the helmet flew off (even though it was because it wasn't tightened, and the contact was to the upper chest). And it was close enough that you may not be able to overturn the initial call.

The second one just blows my mind. It seems to me to be an ordinary diving tackle where the receiver fell into our player. It was the worst upheld targeting call that I can remember. It got a hearty and deserving "bull shit" from our fans.
On the receiver, I agree it's bullshit. Offensive player goes low defensive player has to as well. And if you're gonna say it was the forearm to the head (which is in the rules, btw) well I say the defensive player has a right to protect themselves which is what that looked like. Reminds me of a targeting call against Stephon Tuitt a couple of years ago. Pitt's QB was scrambling. He lowers his body running into Tuitt, but, being so tall he couldn't get low enough to avoid the helmet hit. So he either takes a helmet hit himself ir try to get low. In any event, a running QB is not defenseless and should have been afforded no special deference.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He got ejected for that hit (first clip) are you serious? That was a perfectly legal hit! The only difference is the QBs helmet came off... But that was because it was a hard hit

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever happened to actually attempting to tackle a guy instead of just trying to lay a hit on him?
One big hit can make you the number one pick in the draft. Four years of solid tackling doesn't move the needle?

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I periodically have to reread the rule(s) on this:

Targeting and Crown-of-Helmet Guidelines

Always find this one interesting:

KEY INDICATORS

Risk of a foul is high with one or more of these:

• Launch—a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make contact in the head or neck area
  • A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with contact at the head or neck area—even though one or both feet are still on the ground
  • Leading with helmet, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with contact at the head or neck area
  • Lowering the head before attacking by initiating contact with the crown of the helmet

These indicate less risk of a foul:

• Heads-up tackle in which the crown of the helmet does not strike above the shoulders
  • Wrap-up tackle
  • Head is to the side rather than being used to initiate contact
  • Incidental helmet contact that is not part of targeting but is due to the players changing position during the course of play

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I periodically have to reread the rule(s) on this:

Targeting and Crown-of-Helmet Guidelines

Always find this one interesting:

KEY INDICATORS

Risk of a foul is high with one or more of these:

• Launch—a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make contact in the head or neck area
  • A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with contact at the head or neck area—even though one or both feet are still on the ground
  • Leading with helmet, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with contact at the head or neck area
  • Lowering the head before attacking by initiating contact with the crown of the helmet

These indicate less risk of a foul:

• Heads-up tackle in which the crown of the helmet does not strike above the shoulders
  • Wrap-up tackle
  • Head is to the side rather than being used to initiate contact
  • Incidental helmet contact that is not part of targeting but is due to the players changing position during the course of play

Which is something they need to fix in their assessment. The Texas safety had no business being ejected when the receiver dropped his shoulders and head in an attempt to protect himself. Oklahoma's fullback got ejected last year when a D-lineman broke through and Ripkowski had him blocked. The player knew Ripkowski had him blocked and lowered his shoulders to protect himself resulting in incidental helmet to helmet contact. Complete bullshit. If you're going to enforce the rules, you should at least know and interpret them correctly.