• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Targeting rules

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC defines quarterback 'strike zone' for defensive players - ESPN

In a move to further protect players from dangerous hits, the SEC has defined a "strike zone" from below the neck to above the knees in which an unabated defender may attempt to tackle an "offensive player in a passing posture."

"This is a player safety issue," said Steve Shaw, the SEC's coordinator of officials.

Shaw, who spoke at SEC media days Wednesday, said the rule to protect quarterbacks from being hit below the knees will be enforced regardless of whether the hit occurs inside or outside the pocket. A penalty will not be called, however, if a defender is blocked into the quarterback.

Is a QB who is rolling out in play action or just to avoid pressure but still looking to throw considered in a "passing posture"? Will a player running from behind the play be able to dive and try and grab a foot or ankle?

That is something I wonder with the wording used. I am guessing that once the QB is mobile that he is no longer in a passing posture unless he sets to throw? What if a defender is chasing the QB and dives to trip him but the QB stops to pull up to pass?

While I am not for pussifying the QB position, I like the rule but would like some clearer definitions laid out for it. This will protect against serious injuries rather than the QB getting pushed over after he throws the ball and getting 15 yards for it.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That rule sucks.
just put flags in the QB's pockets and be done with it.

I cans see below the neck, but there are way too many times that a defender is able to trip up the QB at his feet or ankles.

Just a terrible rule.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does grabbing of a QB in the pocket around the ankles constitute a hit?

A defender shouldn't be putting his body into a QB's shins or feet on purpose when he is in the pocket. There is no need. I'm with you on how they have made the QB position a skit wearing puss but unlike a RB or other ball carrier who is moving and looking at oncoming defenders, a QB is looking down the field, not at who or what is around his feet.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC defines quarterback 'strike zone' for defensive players - ESPN

Is a QB who is rolling out in play action or just to avoid pressure but still looking to throw considered in a "passing posture"? Will a player running from behind the play be able to dive and try and grab a foot or ankle?

That is something I wonder with the wording used. I am guessing that once the QB is mobile that he is no longer in a passing posture unless he sets to throw? What if a defender is chasing the QB and dives to trip him but the QB stops to pull up to pass?

While I am not for pussifying the QB position, I like the rule but would like some clearer definitions laid out for it. This will protect against serious injuries rather than the QB getting pushed over after he throws the ball and getting 15 yards for it.

That is my question. What about if the QB is scrambling and a lineman reaches out to make a "shoestring tackle". Is that a foul? Catch em from behind and dive to get his feet...penalty?

Needs a lot of clarification I think.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't a targetting penalty stand against a secondary guy if he goes for a hit and the WR ducks, resulting in a hit to the head?

If that is the case, if a QB jumps and you take out his feet...penalty?

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are talking about defenders grabbing the feet and swinging their body around, which twists the QBs legs and feet and could result in an ankle injury or ACL/MCL/PCL tear. If he is being chased from behind that is a defender tackling a runner. Don't be dumb guys. This rule is so defenders won't dive for the knees while the QB is in the pocket. Tackle with form and you will be ok.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are talking about defenders grabbing the feet and swinging their body around, which twists the QBs legs and feet and could result in an ankle injury or ACL/MCL/PCL tear. If he is being chased from behind that is a defender tackling a runner. Don't be dumb guys. This rule is so defenders won't dive for the knees while the QB is in the pocket. Tackle with form and you will be ok.
You do realize who you are talking to, right?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Doesn't the rule specifically say "a QB inside or OUTSIDE the pocket"? I'd say that the argument can be made that until they cross the LoS they are still a QB outside the pocket. Doesn't matter if they have tucked the ball or not.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some random ass message board posters that I've never seen in my life...?

The rule obviously needs reworded, but the concept is obvious. This shouldn't even be an argument.

But it is an argument, because as long as there is questionable wording someone can get screwed over by the rule. It's why they go back and "clarify" rules all the time. Because the intent is a good one, but you need to clarify.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This rule sucks ass. We lost our best LB on a bullshit call by SEC officials in the second half of the Sakerlina game, which means he will miss the first half of our bowl game as well. This rule has to be addressed. It is complete shit as it stands.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the targeting rule but it needs to apply to offensive players as well, doesn't it?