• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Super Bowl's final minutes may unravel Carroll's Seahawks

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So yes this was written by a Patriots sports writer but he dos make some great points that have not been discussed as far as I have seen as of yet. From when there was just 2 minutes left in the game Wilson just as not experienced enough to get the job done.

Super Bowl's final minutes may unravel Carroll's Seahawks | Comcast SportsNet - CSNNE.com

The shock Pete Carroll’s players expressed in the hour after Super Bowl XLIX ended has faded by now.

And it’s probably yielded to anger.

Behind-the-scenes footage of the Seahawks sideline on Showtime’s Inside the NFL and NBCSN’s NFL Turning Point showed a somewhat ruddlerless decision-making process in the final minutes. And cheerleading. Lots of cheerleading.

The breathy explanations that Carroll’s offered about his team’s fateful game-management have made him a sympathetic character nationally. The general sentiment is that Carroll’s being a stand-up guy.

And he is. If one can get past the mealy-mouthed, circular logic he employs, which at first sounds profound but -- when you play it back –- is really just gibberish.

But to the men who entered Super XLIX thinking they might end the night as part of a dynasty, there’s not going to be a lot of sympathy for Pete.

The clock management by Seattle in the final two minutes was embarrassingly bad. It’s the sole reason we’re even discussing whether or not the game-sealing pick thrown by Russell Wilson was the worst playcall in Super Bowl history or simply one of the worst.

That playcall happened because the Seahawks didn’t have enough timeouts to manage their goal-line situation.

Coming out of the two-minute warning -- a period in which Carroll found the time to say to Wilson, “Three timeouts from the 50-yard line, touchdown to win! We never give you one this easy!” --

Malcolm Butler had a spectacular breakup on a pass intended for Jermaine Kearse that stopped the clock with 1:50 left.

Seattle broke its huddle for the second-and-10 play with 20 seconds left on the play clock and were at the line of scrimmage (the New England 49) with 16 seconds left on the play clock.
But there was an initial lack of urgency by Wilson at the line. Indecisiveness reigned as the play clock ticked under five seconds. Wilson called timeout as the play clock was about to hit zeros.

It’s Wilson’s third season. He’s played in the biggest games. Microphones picked him up subtly prodding Carroll to trust him more in big spots. But as a field general, he failed at that juncture.
He needed to take the field coming out of the two-minute warning prepared for the worst and presuming the Seahawks would need all three timeouts in the final 120 seconds. And they wasted one after a mid-range incompletion.

How could Wilson not know? It’s worth wondering just how emphatically Carroll and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell worked to remind Wilson how important preserving timeouts could be.
Their job is to make sure Wilson understood his job. Their job is not to remind Wilson that all is well and delightedly slap him on the ass.

Which brings us to the next timeout spent.

After Kearse’s 35-yard circus catch put the Seahawks on the Patriots doorstep, Seattle again stopped the clock. This one is a lot more forgivable. It was a bizarre play and it wasn’t even clear for a few seconds if the ball had actually been caught. The Seahawks had to move downfield, get a playcall and get lined up. And they had to do all that after finishing their standard post-play celebrations both on the field and on the sidelines. Given they’d already senselessly burned that first timeout, it would have been smart to explain to Wilson the necessity of holding on tightly to the final two and then, perhaps, he could have gotten his players under control and lined up. But that’s not the type of ship they run over there.

Regardless, Seattle should have been on the 5 with 1:06 left and three timeouts. Instead, they had just two. And they were forced to use one.

Having only one timeout impacted Seattle’s strategy immediately. After running Lynch for five yards on first down, Carroll and his staff knew they needed that last one to stop the clock if a third-down run by Lynch failed. The only way to stop the clock after second down was by incompletion.
So they threw. We know what happened.

The poor coaching didn’t end there. Seattle still had a faint pulse. The Patriots were 18 inches from their goal line. Could the Seahawks force a safety? Or get a stuff and use that timeout? Extending the game was all that mattered. But somebody had to be in charge at that point and tell the players that encroachment would end everything. Seemingly, nobody did. An understandably shell-shocked Seattle defense was desperate. They screwed up. A teammate pushed Michael Bennett from the side, forcing contact with the Patriots line. And that was the game.

The postgame finger-pointing from Seattle players at Bevell, and from Bevell at wide receiver Ricardo Lockette, shows just how thinly-tied the Seahawks unity apparently is. Lynch’s laughter after the Butler interception and the smirk on his face as he walked past Carroll was as good as a neon sign that said, “Somehow, you found a way to [bleep] it up, Pete.”

These are going to be interesting months in Seattle for Carroll, his staff and GM John Schneider. Dealing with a loss of this magnitude is never easy. But when a coaching staff is complicit in the loss with decisions made and not made or coaching points left unmentioned, the leadership will be questioned.

The Seahawks have plenty of intelligent and talented football players. Now, we’ll find out how mature they are.

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ought to post this on the Seahawks board so that some of those guys realize how bad of a fuck up it really was. Some guys over there think it was just fine what old Pete did. Its amazing.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, but let me guess... The Packers collapse in the NFCCG is only going to make them stronger huh?

Don't break your fingers crossing them too hard Lambeau. Believe it or not, there is a lot of character and toughness on this team, they'll be ready to play for Carroll next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carroll trusted his QB. Bottom line. Wilson made a mistake and it cost them the game. You can place all of the blame on Carroll but then you'd also have to blame him for putting his QB in a spot where he had to make the right choice.

It's a team game and they came up short. They will be back next year so let's not get crazy and act like this is the end of this teams success.

I prefer it was but I know it is not.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is any coach who can survive this, it's Pete Carroll. He's got the maturity and dealt with these situations before where this much was on the line.

He's great with the mental toughness of teams as much as the physical toughness.

It's a loss that sticks with you through history, but every year, teams lose in the playoffs and superbowl. The good coaches and players learn from it and move on.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And in all of the finger pointing, name calling and belly laughs, we continue to overlook a no-name kid MAKING one of the best plays in SB history.

Not that Im against name calling and finger pointing, or belly laughs. But that was one helluva catch.

BUD

Hoopla Cash
$ 672.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And in all of the finger pointing, name calling and belly laughs, we continue to overlook a no-name kid MAKING one of the best plays in SB history.

Not that Im against name calling and finger pointing, or belly laughs. But that was one helluva catch.

Hell yeah it was

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are clearly already in silly season.

I'm guessing that the players will somehow overcome the horror of losing this Super Bowl by looking at their Super Bowl rings from the year before.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ought to post this on the Seahawks board so that some of those guys realize how bad of a fuck up it really was. Some guys over there think it was just fine what old Pete did. Its amazing.

Still waiting for you to prove those statements. You keep making them and don't have the quotes to back it up. I don't recall seeing anyone say Carroll didn't make any mistakes.

More baseless hyperbole.

And the fans gaining hope this is really going to end in a team wide implosion, can any of you tell me your team hasn't ever had a questionable series from your coaching staff in any big game? Anyone? I don't know of a single HC I haven't called an idiot at some point for stupid shit down the stretch of a game. Way more common than not. Hell, Belichick wasn't using his TO's and seriously got lucky it didn't hurt his team. And that wasn't their only mistake either.

If any of the players are really that retarded to hold onto some misgivings all the way into next season for a staff that took them to back to back SB's and one play away from back to back wins they probably shouldn't be playing football for anyone. Just work harder and help your team more next year.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carroll's secrets, makes you wonder.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think about it too much ...

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think BB not calling a TO after the Lynch run on first down to the 1 was a huge factor. I think Seattle went into that play thinking NE would call a TO if Lynch didn't score and they could discuss what play they wanted to use on 2nd down(which would be common in most games). The pass wasn't the worst decision until it didn't work. Would have made more sense to run it(the pass play) on 3rd or 4th down if needed.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think BB not calling a TO after the Lynch run on first down to the 1 was a huge factor. I think Seattle went into that play thinking NE would call a TO if Lynch didn't score and they could discuss what play they wanted to use on 2nd down. The pass wasn't the worst decision until it didn't work. Would have made more sense to run it on 3rd or 4th down if needed.

:agree: another dark side of the hooday, how many now???

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Carroll should be fully investigated about that call! Maybe it was all planned. I'm sure there are many reasons to create SportsHoopla about a most probably shady deal ... there must have been a deal! Pats are cheaters; is Carroll a cheater too? Is Pete colluded with Bob to pull the wool over the eyes of NFL fans?" It takes two to cheat.

Fencer

Not left-handed either
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are clearly already in silly season.

I'm guessing that the players will somehow overcome the horror of losing this Super Bowl by looking at their Super Bowl rings from the year before.

Quite so.

Besides, the real screw-up was that the Seahawks burned two timeouts short before the fateful play. The choice Carroll made with only one timeout left was a reasonable one.

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still waiting for you to prove those statements. You keep making them and don't have the quotes to back it up. I don't recall seeing anyone say Carroll didn't make any mistakes.

More baseless hyperbole.

Why are you so defensive? Nobody said your name anywhere although you do keep defending 'The Call'.

And the fans gaining hope this is really going to end in a team wide implosion, can any of you tell me your team hasn't ever had a questionable series from your coaching staff in any big game? Anyone? I don't know of a single HC I haven't called an idiot at some point for stupid shit down the stretch of a game. Way more common than not. Hell, Belichick wasn't using his TO's and seriously got lucky it didn't hurt his team. And that wasn't their only mistake either.
How many coaches throw their own players under a bus and lay blame to them? I cant remember any off hand except for our OC.

If any of the players are really that retarded to hold onto some misgivings all the way into next season for a staff that took them to back to back SB's and one play away from back to back wins they probably shouldn't be playing football for anyone. Just work harder and help your team more next year.
Maybe the players are starting to realize that they are more of the reason they are reaching the super bowl other then the staff. That's a very talented group of players. Hell they have to be to overcome that play calling on a regular basis.

Fencer

Not left-handed either
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many coaches throw their own players under a bus and lay blame to them? I cant remember any off hand except for our OC.

It happens a bit more in the NBA, where it's accepted that guys will go through bad streaks (effort, judgment, whatever) and the coach will publicly say in effect "We need him to snap out of it soon".

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How could Wilson not know? It’s worth wondering just how emphatically Carroll and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell worked to remind Wilson how important preserving timeouts could be.
Their job is to make sure Wilson understood his job. Their job is not to remind Wilson that all is well and delightedly slap him on the ass.

Wilson "knowing" and Wilson preventing using one are two separate things. I also disagree with the implication that Carroll should have reinforced the urgency Wilson faced instead of framing it as business as usual. When has trying harder ever worked in sports? Getting out of your own way is the key to performing at sports.

The "call" worked out poorly for Pete and the non-time out call worked for Bill. Those two calls could easily have gone the opposite way for both of them and then the discussion would be about Brady's inability to win without a flattened football.

Cripes :L

Laugh it off Hawks fans and I hope we get a re-match next year.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carroll trusted his QB. Bottom line. Wilson made a mistake and it cost them the game. You can place all of the blame on Carroll but then you'd also have to blame him for putting his QB in a spot where he had to make the right choice.

It's a team game and they came up short. They will be back next year so let's not get crazy and act like this is the end of this teams success.

I prefer it was but I know it is not.

Bingo. I have been saying this for weeks.

If your putting all of the blame on Carroll, then what your are blaming him for is trusting Wilson that no matter what, Wilson will "protect" downs 3 and 4.

Never in the history of the NFL has a coach taken so much heat for a 2nd down play call that his QB throws an Int.