• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Super Bowl LIV 49ers VS Chiefs in Miami

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious what neutral fans thought of the Kittle OPI. What did you see there that was beyond the normal hand fighting that occurs on many pass plays? I'm not that mad about that because really it's Shanahan's fault for not giving his team more time for that drive.
I am not neutral, but my stance is Kittle essentially got flagged for beating Sorensen very badly in the open field, and where all the eyes of refs will be, and then making a normally subtle OPI move highly visible not once but twice. In a more congested area like the EZ or within 15 yards of the LOS, it would not likely be called, imo.

If it was just a bit better coverage, it would not be flagged either.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not neutral, but my stance is Kittle essentially got flagged for beating Sorensen very badly in the open field, and where all the eyes of refs will be, and then making a normally subtle OPI move highly visible not once but twice. In a more congested area like the EZ or within 15 yards of the LOS, it would not likely be called, imo.

If it was just a bit better coverage, it would not be flagged either.

Yeah, it's one of those unlucky plays. I'm not someone who believes that games are rigged (otherwise I wouldn't watch). I just believe that officials make mistakes and are inconsistent, and you just don't know which side that will favor, so I just consider that aspect of the game as part of the luck factor. Watching it live, it just looked like a great play. I was very surprised at the flag. And I was still more angry at Shanahan for not really trying to score until it was too late.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's one of those unlucky plays. I'm not someone who believes that games are rigged (otherwise I wouldn't watch). I just believe that officials make mistakes and are inconsistent, and you just don't know which side that will favor, so I just consider that aspect of the game as part of the luck factor. Watching it live, it just looked like a great play. I was very surprised at the flag.
Honestly I was facepalming at the time because I damn well know Sorensen is going to get owned by somebody in coverage, probably Kittle, sooner or later and Reid called a timeout when Kyle seemingly had the surrender flag up for the half with less than 20 seconds left. I saw the OPI but didn't think it would get called.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was like seeing a push off in the NBA. It was there but I wouldn't have been surprised either way at the call.

Certainly Michael Irvin would've gotten away with it back in the day.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was like seeing a push off in the NBA. It was there but I wouldn't have been surprised either way at the call.

Certainly Michael Irvin would've gotten away with it back in the day.
A lot of the HOF level WR's generate a great deal of their separation from what is by rule OPI. Antonio Brown probably being the most blatant of them in recent years.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I was facepalming at the time because I damn well know Sorensen is going to get owned by somebody in coverage, probably Kittle, sooner or later and Reid called a timeout when Kyle seemingly had the surrender flag up for the half with less than 20 seconds left. I saw the OPI but didn't think it would get called.

I made a comment on another site that I hoped that Shanahan throwing away that possession wouldn't be something Niner fans looked backed on. Worst case scenario has been fully realized, I think, because now people will always remember that decision.

We don't know if the Niners would've scored, but that unknown and the fact that Shanahan eliminated the chance of scoring will keep that question alive in the minds of Niner fans. If Shanahan preserves time and coaches to score, maybe the Niners could've driven for a FG or TD. I don't think a FG there would've changed the outcome, but a TD probably would've.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the only comparable Super Bowl in memory was the Packers v Patriots in 96. Favre vs Bledsoe. I think this Super Bowl was better than that one so Id slot it right ahead of that one...in theory if I was a neutral fan.

this superbowl reminded me of the 2nd pats-giants superbowl of 2011-12. the way the 49ers (pats) had a double-digit lead in the 4th and had mostly been in control of the game, and then the chiefs (giants) hit another gear and zoomed past their opponent, pretty much owning the last half of the 4th qtr.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's very easy to see too. Hard to get too worked up about the ref calling it. There would be a meltdown the other way if it went the other way too. I sympathize with people citing consistency as beef, however. Completely fair.

I think fans are just trained to see that kind of play as a no call or that it takes a higher level of force for it to be a penalty. Anyway, it's really Shanahan who deserves the blame for the Niners not scoring there. In that regard, it almost feels like justice that Shanahan has this loss on his record.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think fans are just trained to see that kind of play as a no call or that it takes a higher level of force for it to be a penalty. Anyway, it's really Shanahan who deserves the blame for the Niners not scoring there. In that regard, it almost feels like justice that Shanahan has this loss on his record.
I really don't understand why Shanahan didn't push the issue. The Chiefs were really on their heels and a lot of the stuff they were bullying teams with defensively in the 2nd half was flat not working against the 49ers. Tactically, it wasn't as though KC had the 49ers had; not exactly as though Kyle was throwing meatballs down the middle to Barry Bonds. Why the hesitation?

A reasonable FG attempt was extremely doable.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't understand why Shanahan didn't push the issue. The Chiefs were really on their heels and a lot of the stuff they were bullying teams with defensively in the 2nd half was flat not working against the 49ers. Tactically, it wasn't as though KC had the 49ers had; not exactly as though Kyle was throwing meatballs down the middle to Barry Bonds. Why the hesitation?

A reasonable FG attempt was extremely doable.

Yeah, I wanted to believe that the guy was an aggressive and smart head coach, but this gives me a lot of doubts. He's essentially a young Marty Schottenheimer. LOL. Give me someone like John Harbaugh who will press the issue no matter what and who has the mindset to seize a game.

I'll accept Shanahan evolving into that. I don't think John Harbaugh was like that before, but he's open to change. Hopefully, Shanahan is too.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I wanted to believe that the guy was an aggressive and smart head coach, but this gives me a lot of doubts. He's essentially a young Marty Schottenheimer. LOL. Give me someone like John Harbaugh who will press the issue no matter what and who has the mindset to seize a game.
I think he's more of a bizzaro Andy-Reid with a run fetish when he has leverage.

He will get another shot at the SB before he is done, imo. He's easily a top 10 coach in my mind.

Marty Schottenheimer was a reactionary fool who did it all to himself, namely his offenses, and yes, his offenses. Marty was more than a guy who was unlucky- he was a real choker. Not just unlucky. Grbac/Gannon coming to mind especially.

Edit: I've made some pretty passionate (well, least as I can be on a message board about sports) defenses of Andy Reid and why he is not a choker. So take that for what it is worth. But I think most Chiefs fan over 35 would tell you there was a world of difference between the playoff failures of Andy Reid and Marty Schottenheimer. No comparison, imo.

Last edited:

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I made a comment on another site that I hoped that Shanahan throwing away that possession wouldn't be something Niner fans looked backed on. Worst case scenario has been fully realized, I think, because now people will always remember that decision.

We don't know if the Niners would've scored, but that unknown and the fact that Shanahan eliminated the chance of scoring will keep that question alive in the minds of Niner fans. If Shanahan preserves time and coaches to score, maybe the Niners could've driven for a FG or TD. I don't think a FG there would've changed the outcome, but a TD probably would've.

What kind of message did that send to his own offense? That was my problem with the decision. You got plenty of time, timeouts, and don't even bother trying to score?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest issue I have with Shanahan in that game is the decision to not use your timeouts right before the half and try and score. Obviously if the refs dont call PI on Kittle and Jimmy G actually makes his throws later on in the game then Shanahan is redeemed for reasons out of his control.

The Niners had the tie game but the Chiefs had two? extra possessions. At that point, the Chiefs should have been lucky to be tied and not the other way around. Momentum is an illusion. Get your points.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this superbowl reminded me of the 2nd pats-giants superbowl of 2011-12. the way the 49ers (pats) had a double-digit lead in the 4th and had mostly been in control of the game, and then the chiefs (giants) hit another gear and zoomed past their opponent, pretty much owning the last half of the 4th qtr.
I could see that game having a similar feel. I dismissed that one because I generally view that as some of the weaker teams to ever be in a Super Bowl (Giants were outscored in the regular season) but the game itself did have a similar vibe.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What kind of message did that send to his own offense? That was my problem with the decision. You got plenty of time, timeouts, and don't even bother trying to score?

Yeah, Shanahan was telling his own team he doesn't trust them. People are focused on Jimmy G, that Shanahan didn't trust him there, but it also showed that he didn't trust his defense either.