• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Summer Scrimmage II Thread

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Im telling you guys David Wilson is making it look easy, if he stays healthy LOOK OUT! I also have to say that Holmes is very impressive as a runner, he is calm and patient and has this kinda of "glide" about him. Danny Coale had a very nice punt return that was almost a TD, both he and Hosley will be dangerous in the PR game. Even in return we have came very close to blocking a few punts this summer, i wouldnt be surprised if we get a few this year. Roberts looked like he took a pretty hard hit on the leg today but he bounced right up <---imo safe to say that he is 100%. Logans arm is still looking impressive as he was squeazing them into coverage a few time today. There was one play where he showed some quickness and if not blown dead because he (barely) got touched LT would have had a huge run.Knowles and Cory Fuller seem to be the top "new guys" @ WR. I specifically watched acree on a few plays today and he seems to be grasping OL much quicker than he did DL. Collins and Gayle are going to be well known in the ACC.

Oglesby had a fumble today that was returned 90-95yds for a TD by fuller.

Cody Journell missed a FG.

Drager seems to be "@ home" at tight end.

Branthover looked really good punting the ball today.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Look for Holmes to get a shot to play this year. I think that he is a solid #3 back right now and if DW has a big year, #1 and #2 will be gone, better get him experience now...

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like what i'm hearing about McCray. Hopefully that continues, could be much needed depth.

The Clark/Edwards battle at Backer has me intrigued. So glad they're just sophomores too.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Look for Holmes to get a shot to play this year. I think that he is a solid #3 back right now and if DW has a big year, #1 and #2 will be gone, better get him experience now...

I dont think we can get meaningful carries to 4 RB's so unless Holmes passes Gregory on the depth chart i say RS him. I also dont think DW will leave early (i could be wrong), he just seems like the type that enjoys the college atmosphere.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Holmes may be passing Gregory on the depth chart for #3. If so, then there's no way Holmes will shirt. additionally, Oglesby fumbled today, too, and you know how Coach Beamer hates to see Tech RBs fumble.

I really hate that for Oglesby...I want him to do well this year.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think Holmes may be passing Gregory on the depth chart for #3. If so, then there's no way Holmes will shirt. additionally, Oglesby fumbled today, too, and you know how Coach Beamer hates to see Tech RBs fumble.

I really hate that for Oglesby...I want him to do well this year.

FWIW in my original post i wrote (then edited) that i really feel like all the RB slots except for #1 are still up for grabs. I hate to say it because i have always been a big fan of JO but he is yet to have that "break out" moment this spring/summer (<---@ least in anything open to the public). After all the time and effort Oglesby has given to VT i hope he gets his minutes but the other RB's are playing darn good football. Gregory hasnt really had any WOW! moments either, but he has shown the ability to pick up yards.

EDIT i also forgot to mention how good joey phillips (FB) played he was clearing lanes like a bulldozer and even got open for a couple passes. I think he finished with 40+ yards rec.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nice wrap up by that writer. I agree with you hunz about Oglesby but I kind of agree with this writer as well. I haven't heard too many great things about Gregory, so I wonder if he might slip down to a no. 4 before all is said and done. Unless he just completely screws up or barring an injury, I see a senior JO getting his carries this year. Once he gets going, and starts running over people, all will be fine. I am pleased to hear about the D-Line/Secondary, O-Line, and Holmes continuing to play well. With Wilson possibly around for another year (maybe?), MH, Coleman and others coming, the future is always bright at RB. One more note this guy made that I thought was interesting, red-shirting Dyrell Roberts. I never thought about it, but that IMO is a GREAT idea. He has shown many glimpses of greatness at times, but although he is said to be 100%...with our tremendous depth at WR, red-shirting him sounds good to me.

Last edited by a moderator: