• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Summer Scrimmage 1 Summary

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Alright so my wife had to go into Roanoke this weekend for a bridal party for a friend so I went in with her to check out the scrimmage...

First off is DW is a monster, he ran hard, showed he can be an every down back, and was very elusive. He had one run that was almost video game-esq when he broke a few tackles and spun away from a defender to scamper into the endzone...

Holmes is going to be a very, very talented back for VT. If it were my decision I would NOT redshirt him. He is the future back at VT after DW and JO leave, so I would not shirt him and get him some PT.

Gregory looked decent, and was not favoring his knee at all which I figured he would.

Boye looked alright in the defense but he got burned a few times on some easy routes.

RVD will be very good in the future. He is tall and lean right now and needs to put on some weight but he is going to be very good.

The 1st team defense is nasty fast. They had guys flying all over the place, and Hosley was laying the wood on some of the guys.

Roberts seems to be healed from the injury 100%

DM-R is a monster, and has the tools and body to play right away, I would look for him to possibly crack the 2 deep at TE.

Knowles can flat out fly, dude is SUPER fast and will be a heck of a WR in the future.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thanks for the additional input....much appreciated!!

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Alright so my wife had to go into Roanoke this weekend for a bridal party for a friend so I went in with her to check out the scrimmage...

First off is DW is a monster, he ran hard, showed he can be an every down back, and was very elusive. He had one run that was almost video game-esq when he broke a few tackles and spun away from a defender to scamper into the endzone... <--- That was the play of the day, but his KR was pretty nasty as well. Wilson seemed to run with a lot power and looked even more explosive than last year imo, he is going to be hard to handle.

Holmes is going to be a very, very talented back for VT. If it were my decision I would NOT redshirt him. He is the future back at VT after DW and JO leave, so I would not shirt him and get him some PT.<--- Because of the clearing house issue's the scrimmage was one of Holmes first day in pads also, so i'd say he will progress quite a bit before the season. Without seeing Patterson, i agree: you dont redshirt Holmes.

Gregory looked decent, and was not favoring his knee at all which I figured he would. He was really "testing" the knee on some of those cut backs, imo that shows he has confidence in it. Give him a few more weeks of practice to get back to speed and i think Gregory will be a major part of our team this year.

Boye looked alright in the defense but he got burned a few times on some easy routes.

RVD will be very good in the future. He is tall and lean right now and needs to put on some weight but he is going to be very good.

The 1st team defense is nasty fast. They had guys flying all over the place, and Hosley was laying the wood on some of the guys.My thoughts also, if we can keep guys healthy our defense is going to special. Hosley hammered DC on the sideline!

Roberts seems to be healed from the injury 100% He told greg boone he was feeling good! Greg Boone was sitting about 2 rows in front of me.

DM-R is a monster, and has the tools and body to play right away, I would look for him to possibly crack the 2 deep at TE.

Knowles can flat out fly, dude is SUPER fast and will be a heck of a WR in the future.The coaches have got to notice that speed, maybe he gets a chance @ KR if they decide not to go with Wilson.
BTW: Weird question: did you see the guy (barefoot, grey shorts/shirt, beard, and long hair) punting before warm ups? Punting out of the back of the EZ out past the 50.

Last edited by a moderator:

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is DM-R?.....Darius Redman?

Are guys like Knowles and Asante being given a look as punt returners?

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LT is running in a few shots with the ball hanging around. Might need to be addressed by the coaches.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am an annual buyer of Ivan's wall calendar. If you want the best photos of campus to decorate your office, you should get this calendar.