• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Summer 2014 Free Agency Thread

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah best of luck for Willie. I think having won two cups hes main concern was trying to make as much as he could. Price tag is a little high for a guy that is 37-38 years old.

Definitely was, thus the 2 year term demand. I think if the Kings offered the same 2 years/$7 million he might have taken it but $4.25 million is pretty steep for Mitchell. I guess the Panthers are paying for leadership and veteran presence, especially for Ekblad.

Overall some crazy money was spent today, and I can't think of one decent contract except for maybe Stastny at 4 years/$28 million. Washington just paid almost $70 million for Orpik and Niskanen and pylon Engeland got almost $10 million from the Flames.

Flat out stupid.

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely was, thus the 2 year term demand. I think if the Kings offered the same 2 years/$7 million he might have taken it but $4.25 million is pretty steep for Mitchell. I guess the Panthers are paying for leadership and veteran presence, especially for Ekblad.

Overall some crazy money was spent today, and I can't think of one decent contract except for maybe Stastny at 4 years/$28 million. Washington just paid almost $70 million for Orpik and Niskanen and pylon Engeland got almost $10 million from the Flames.

Flat out stupid.

That's why it's called Free Agent Frenzy. GMs go into some kind of nutty trance trying to rebuild their teams in a single day.

Ox

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anaheim Ducks ‏@AnaheimDucks 1m
NEWS: #NHLDucks sign goaltender Jason LaBarbera to a one-year contract. INFO:

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fraser and Cambell will not be resigned according to Rosen.

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of a blah day compared to the Frenzy days of years past. Actually enjoyed it. Really nice not worrying and wondering if the Kings would get that big-name free agent and most often disappointed. This year the only mystery as far as Kings go was where would Willie Mitchell end up knowing he wouldn't be coming back to LA.

Ox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, no idea what Washington is doing. They have Barry Trotz now, so emphasis on D was obviously essential, but sheesh, almost $18mil wrapped up in their top 3 D of Mike Green, Matt Niskanin, and Brooks Orpik. Chicago got that Center they coveted, but Richards is pretty old and I'm not sure how effective he can continue to be. I think it is even more likely that Sharp is gone now (but who knows?). They might do what Colorado did and replace a Stastny with an Iginla in that move.

I actually liked what Florida did today and think all of their moves are to promote the growth of their young picks they've been acquiring. When these guys mature in 2-4 years, Florida's crappy veteran contracts will be up. Mitchell is still really solid and I think the Kings really missed him last year. Definitely made sense to let him go, especially for the $4mil he got, but he is a good player. They added Dave Bolland, and I think he and Mitchell just add some winners to their locker room. Huberdeau and Barkov are going to be studs, so the talent is there for Florida.

Other winner is probably Dallas since they added a top tier second line to their already lethal #1 line of Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin. They basically took Ottawa's top line of Spezza and Hemsky and really bolstered their offense.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of a blah day compared to the Frenzy days of years past. Actually enjoyed it. Really nice not worrying and wondering if the Kings would get that big-name free agent and most often disappointed. This year the only mystery as far as Kings go was where would Willie Mitchell end up knowing he wouldn't be coming back to LA.

Ox

Sure beats the days of asking ourselves why Hossa/Kovalchuk/Richards/top end UFA didn't sign here though.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, no idea what Washington is doing. They have Barry Trotz now, so emphasis on D was obviously essential, but sheesh, almost $18mil wrapped up in their top 3 D of Mike Green, Matt Niskanin, and Brooks Orpik.

I bet Trotz is like "WTF, so THIS is what spending money is like?". He didn't have this luxury in Nashville, should be interesting to see how he does with some names instead of squeezing blood out of a turnip like he had to on an annual basis in Nashville. Good coach.

Green is the odd man out, he has one year left on his deal and his play went into the toilet after the first year or so of signing it. They did not get their value out of this guy, and it's shocking to remember he was a Norris Trophy finalist in 2010. He couldn't lock on his man in a paper bag. I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved at the trade deadline if it looks like the Capitals aren't going to be in a playoff position or if they are and need reinforcements.

I actually see something similar with Niskanen happening, Leonsis just has a bad hand with big dollar contracts - Jagr, Schultz (now a King on the cheap), etc. Some guys just don't have the Midas touch and he seems to be one of them because his big splashes tend to be big duds.

Chicago got that Center they coveted, but Richards is pretty old and I'm not sure how effective he can continue to be. I think it is even more likely that Sharp is gone now (but who knows?). They might do what Colorado did and replace a Stastny with an Iginla in that move.

I think it was a safe risk for both parties. The Hawks have needed a legitimate 2C for a few years now, and while he isn't what he once was, I think he will have some chemistry with Kane. At the very least, it's an opportunity for him to resurrect his career because it went down the shitter REAL fast. He's 34 and probably has maybe a few good years left so it's in his best interest to have a solid season no matter what.

I don't think he will be there next year, especially with Teuvo Teravainen (18th overall/2012), whom they are banking on to be the future 2C getting another year most likely in the minors but who is very talented however. Richards is a bridge player as Dumbo used to like to call those guys.

At $2 million however, it's not a huge risk if it doesn't pay off (all 4 centers make more than that for LA with Stoll being the "cheap guy" at $3.25 million) and it's an opportunity for Richards to show the world that he isn't a total and complete worthless hockey player these days. I think this was a "save face" contract for Richards considering the player he once was and how he was just bought out of a $60 million contract only 3 years in.

I actually liked what Florida did today and think all of their moves are to promote the growth of their young picks they've been acquiring. When these guys mature in 2-4 years, Florida's crappy veteran contracts will be up. Mitchell is still really solid and I think the Kings really missed him last year. Definitely made sense to let him go, especially for the $4mil he got, but he is a good player. They added Dave Bolland, and I think he and Mitchell just add some winners to their locker room. Huberdeau and Barkov are going to be studs, so the talent is there for Florida.

The Panthers had a ton of money to spend just to reach the floor, so I understand the big dollar deals. The Kings were there once giving Handzus 4 years/$16 million and Preissing 4 years/$11 million and Rob Blake 2 years/$12 million but that's what happens when you have a young team mainly on ELCs and six-figure salaries.

I don't think anyone in their right mind offers a 37 year old Willie Mitchell $8.5 million over 2 years to basically be a 5-7 defender but they had to reach at least $51 million. With two Cups in the books and nothing really left to prove - he was one of the best shut down defenders of his era - I don't blame him for chasing the money. Where else better to spend it than state tax free FL and the crazies from there?

Other winner is probably Dallas since they added a top tier second line to their already lethal #1 line of Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin. They basically took Ottawa's top line of Spezza and Hemsky and really bolstered their offense.

Dallas is starting to look impressive. I wouldn't be surprised to see them make the leap in the next 2 years into the "serious contender" category. They are positioning themselves for that very thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defensemen on Dallas very iffy, don't you think?
Ya, def not the scariest defense out there, but they took a big step up front. We'll see how it goes down the road. Still have to acknowledge that Spezza will be a UFA next year too. So he could very well be a one and done unless they lock him up.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Desperation move but they needed bodies after losing Teabag, Koivu, Winnek, etc.

I read some Anaheim fans thinking he will resurrect his career like Gaborik did in LA. Possible playing with much better probably linemates in Perry and Getzlaf than he has had in a while, but I don't see it happening, he is a shell of his former self not to mention if they were pissed off at the lack of effort and physical play by Bobby Ryan, Heatley is going to infuriate them even more.

Over under on who carpools with Heatley to he rink?

=)~~

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike "He of the Dirty Sanchez" Ribiero and Derek Roy sign 1 year deals each in Nashville for $1.05 and $1 million respectively. Ribiero was just bought out of his 4 year/$22 million deal with Phoenix only 1 year into it because of his off ice and character issues.

Nashville needed some help down the middle with Fisher expected to miss 4-6 months with a wrist injury but Ribiero? It surprised me considering how that organization is, they look for character guys and Ribiero is anything but character.

To the douchebaggery he pulls on the ice (his acting job like he died in Montreal to his "shhhhh" finger to the lips when he scored in a SO against LA) to his issues off the ice, I wasn't expecting Poile to even look at this guy. They canned Karalahti as we recall real quick because he wasn't going to change his ways to the Nashville ethics.

But he claims he did his HW:

Poile said the Predators did their "due diligence" on Ribeiro. He said they talked to former teammates, coaches, general managers and more people inside and outside Ribeiro's circle, including Predators forward James Neal, who played with Ribeiro in Dallas from 2008-11.

Good player but Neal is a douche himself. No respect for his fellow NHL players. Consider the source.

Mike Ribeiro, Derek Roy sign one-year contracts with Nashville Predators - NHL Free Agency 2014

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike "He of the Dirty Sanchez" Ribiero and Derek Roy sign 1 year deals each in Nashville for $1.05 and $1 million respectively. Ribiero was just bought out of his 4 year/$22 million deal with Phoenix only 1 year into it because of his off ice and character issues.

Nashville needed some help down the middle with Fisher expected to miss 4-6 months with a wrist injury but Ribiero? It surprised me considering how that organization is, they look for character guys and Ribiero is anything but character.

To the douchebaggery he pulls on the ice (his acting job like he died in Montreal to his "shhhhh" finger to the lips when he scored in a SO against LA) to his issues off the ice, I wasn't expecting Poile to even look at this guy. They canned Karalahti as we recall real quick because he wasn't going to change his ways to the Nashville ethics.

But he claims he did his HW:

Poile said the Predators did their "due diligence" on Ribeiro. He said they talked to former teammates, coaches, general managers and more people inside and outside Ribeiro's circle, including Predators forward James Neal, who played with Ribeiro in Dallas from 2008-11.

Good player but Neal is a douche himself. No respect for his fellow NHL players. Consider the source.

Mike Ribeiro, Derek Roy sign one-year contracts with Nashville Predators - NHL Free Agency 2014

According to the Coyotes, they cut him not so much for his production but because of "behavioral" issues. Ribeiro blames his break up with the wife for his bad season.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to the Coyotes, they cut him not so much for his production but because of "behavioral" issues. Ribeiro blames his break up with the wife for his bad season.

That is my understanding too. I get it, people go through rough times. I also think that maybe being new to the Coyotes he didn't have the relationships he needed to help him going through that.

I can see almost every player in LA taking a vested interest in the personal life of other guys trying to help or be a resource, they have been together a long time and have developed those close bonds. Not so much for a guy like him who just signed on in his first year. The trust was not there yet.

However, you're still part of a team and need to work through these things - one of my biggest mantras is don't bring your personal problems to work, it affects not only your career but people around you as well. Ribiero did just that and apparently had shouting matches with teammates and whatnot. I doubt the shouting was about his relationship, but probably just out of frustration about his situation (out of anger).

Not exactly the best way to endear yourself to your new teammates and either something serious happened or it was recurring and/or escalated - you don't get bought out of a $22 million contract for blowing up a teammate once or twice, sounds like it was pretty severe.

Sean Avery was pushed out of LA for these reasons, one being make fun of Dustin Brown's lisp. He had become too much of a divisive figure in the locker room.