• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stuff happens

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce gets 5 hits and is actually pretty impressive so who does CBS name as the star of the game?

Capture.JPG

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce gets 5 hits and Price figures it's time to rest him.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the line up tonight, I am completely confused. low and behold the game has been called due to inclement weather but HOW IN THE FUCK DO YOU NOT START THE HOTTEST HITTER ON YOUR TEAM AFTER HE HAS HIT 4HR'S IN THE LAST 2 DAYS??? That is just plain stupid! In fact, that is Dustmop-ish shit. I guess we should have known that pitching coaches don't usually make good managers.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm. About all us dumbass fans were thinking the same thing. Price said he was resting players due to the schedule and recent late innings.

Games that are over at 1 AM would allow about 16 hours of rest before the next 7 PM game. Not too many guys get beat up on the homer, so I'm clueless. The rainout counts as rest, right ?

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what makes a good manager, really...except damned near all of the accepted "good" managers WON. A LOT. Not sure which caused which, though.

I think catchers make good managers, because they are involved with every pitch and every play. They should know hitters and pitchers tendencies and understand the correlation between defensive alignment and pitch location. They have to be concerned with baserunners and pitch outs, pickoffs, rundowns, and purpose pitches. They get to hear and participate in conversations with the home plate umpire. I'm also of the opinion that although nothing replaces doing, a lot can best be learned by observing, and most catchers don't play every inning or every game, and can not only observe play, but bench and bullpen machinations, too. Maybe i just believe that because I was a catcher . I think it helps if they are around winning teams and solid dugout staffs, as they learn, so they learn correctly, instead of learning to correct mistakes and un learn bad habits...although being on a team of stars wouldn't give them much experience at fixing flawed players, would it ?

Maybe that's why many star players couldn't manage very well- probably no greater hitter than Ted Williams, but he couldn't turn other mortals into Triple Crown winners with that ability. Maybe stars spent all their time doing what God gifted them with, so they never had to learn how the normal players had to overcome more normal skills.

There were lots of BRM bench jockeys that managed- none I would call great, yet...and some of them were catchers that didnt get much PT behind Bench; Corrales, Plummer, McClendon, and more notable players McRae, Helms and Knight managed. Perez had a minute. Rose. Woody Woodward was a GM. I think Ron Oester and Doug Flynn might have been good managers, as would Joe Morgan. Lots of ex-Reds coached and still do. They say Lee May was a great hitting coach in the Houston organization. Browning, Power and Soto are current Reds organization pitching coaches.

I'm less than impressed with Bryan Price, but not sure how much better he could be with the roster he has. I'm probably more dissapointed in Walt Jocketty than anyone else in baseball, other than Bud Selig, of course. Lol.