• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stephen A. Smith needs to SHUT UP!!!

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember that Smith dropped off the air for a few years ago and then surfaced on ESPN 710 Los Angeles. He aired with his own radio show for about a year and then announced that he was headed to the station in New York for ESPN and explained that he had left ESPN because they didn't want to renew his contract which he was their right and had no quarrel with them, but had signed a new contract and was returning to television. It appears to me that over the years he has been controversial which considering his comments on Kwame Brown makes a lot of sense. I can't say that I have always agreed with what he says, but I don't really have to listen to him much. Ever since Time Warner created their own show, the others have been left way behind on my TV. I just like the professionalism on TWCS along with how they conduct themselves so much better. I really don't listen much to any show where the participants are always insulting each other and fighting with the exception of Duck Dynasty - they compete but they stick together

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually see his point in many ways though because like it or not it is about the NBA product and bringing money. Kobe Bryant for example will 24 million this year because he will keep bringing in the fans to the games. That's about the money and its the same way. I think the Stern had the best idea by limiting the games to the younger players who will carry less risk. Like Phil Jackson I am one of those that believes the all star game is a huge waste of energy and time. I would rather see them take the same time and stretch out the games so that the teams don't have so many tough road trip.

But most other people really love the entire all star weekend, it most likely brings in a lot of money and I expect that the younger players that get to play for the first time - really find it a total blast, so it is what it is. There is no point in arguing about something that will never happen and What Stephen A Smith is suggesting is never going to happen, so time to move on

I agree up to a point. I'm no Stephen A. fan by any stretch and if he disappeared from the airwaves, I wouldn't miss him in the least. He's a one-trick pony and his one trick wore thin for me a long time ago.

These guys are paid an incredible amount of money and teams have the right to place restrictions on/expect guys to avoid activities that could result in an injury.

Having said that, he was injured playing basketball. He wasn't injured jumping a motorcycle or playing football or something. If he wasn't playing for Team USA, he would very likely have been playing in pickup games and working out. He could have just as easily been injured doing that and then what would folks say? No, pickup games, no offseason workouts?

It's a bummer that he got hurt, but it happens. Heck, I remember Shaq missing a few games because he got hurt playing with his kids.

But that's Stephen A.'s schtick. Find something to be angry about and then make an angry, over the top statement. It's his one trick, but it's made him a lot of money.:gaah:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree up to a point. I'm no Stephen A. fan by any stretch and if he disappeared from the airwaves, I wouldn't miss him in the least. He's a one-trick pony and his one trick wore thin for me a long time ago.

These guys are paid an incredible amount of money and teams have the right to place restrictions on/expect guys to avoid activities that could result in an injury.

Having said that, he was injured playing basketball. He wasn't injured jumping a motorcycle or playing football or something. If he wasn't playing for Team USA, he would very likely have been playing in pickup games and working out. He could have just as easily been injured doing that and then what would folks say? No, pickup games, no offseason workouts?

It's a bummer that he got hurt, but it happens. Heck, I remember Shaq missing a few games because he got hurt playing with his kids.

But that's Stephen A.'s schtick. Find something to be angry about and then make an angry, over the top statement. It's his one trick, but it's made him a lot of money.:gaah:

You can't put the players in bubbles in general - they have to be allowed some choices. Baseball doesn't allow their players to play in the Olympics though and it's worked well for the MLB, but as a result the USA has never dominated. It's been a sticking point over the decades because the International Olympics Committee along with the International community wants the best from the USA to make it balanced and the MLB doesn't want to risk their star players, so it's not as if this concept by Smith is a new one. If it was then the MLB wouldn't have an issue with it. Just saying

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't put the players in bubbles in general - they have to be allowed some choices. Baseball doesn't allow their players to play in the Olympics though and it's worked well for the MLB, but as a result the USA has never dominated. It's been a sticking point over the decades because the International Olympics Committee along with the International community wants the best from the USA to make it balanced and the MLB doesn't want to risk their star players, so it's not as if this concept by Smith is a new one. If it was then the MLB wouldn't have an issue with it. Just saying

Baseball is a little different, imo. In baseball, you really don't want your pitchers pitching in the off-season in order to save their arms from over use. It's part of why they only let pitchers go a couple of innings (if that) in the all-star game and don't let pitchers pitch in it if they pitched in the last game before the all star game. It's also why spring training lasts as long as it does. They gradually work their way up to the number of pitches/innings that will be required in the regular season.

It would be kind of odd to allow the everyday players to play in the Olympics, but not the pitchers. In basketball, those players are going to be playing basketball in the off-season. It's just what they do and part of how they prepare for the regular season.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just comes down to players using their own discretion and being mindful of the risk of injury and loss of revenue. I do agree that if a player such as Kevin Durant plays in the Olympics, gets injured then he loses his revenue for the games he doesn't get to play. It is on him to get insurance to cover those losses and if he doesn't then he has to live it with. It's no different for the rest of us in the real world, so I see no reason to give them special benefits. When a player gets injured while playing a game in the NBA, that is different because the employer is legally bound to carry insurance that covers the employees who in that case are the players.

aka50

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And in the end it may well be the owners who demand a clause in big contracts that requires what Smith has proposed.

T'is a business.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And in the end it may well be the owners who demand a clause in big contracts that requires what Smith has proposed.

T'is a business.

The ones on the opposite side of Smith, don't like him and wouldn't like what he says no matter what any way, but in addition they are the ones used to seeing the USA win the gold every time and feel that is an entitlement and they don't want to lose that

aka50

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ones on the opposite side of Smith, don't like him and wouldn't like what he says no matter what any way, but in addition they are the ones used to seeing the USA win the gold every time and feel that is an entitlement and they don't want to lose that
Smith can be, and usually is, annoying, grating, pompous and a host of other derogatory names, but that does not mean he is wrong all the time.

Honestly! Look at all the "stars" who are NOT on Team USA and tell me that what Smith proposes is not happening already.

Well? Where are the " big boys?" ...Does anyone believe any reason they may give for not playing on that team?

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith can be, and usually is, annoying, grating, pompous and a host of other derogatory names, but that does not mean he is wrong all the time.

Honestly! Look at all the "stars" who are NOT on Team USA and tell me that what Smith proposes is not happening already.

Well? Where are the " big boys?" ...Does anyone believe any reason they may give for not playing on that team?

I can't speak for all of them - but Kevin Durant looked like he was totally shook up by the injury and just simply bailed out of fear and who can blame him. When you are making 10 million a year - you don't want to lose that money for doing something not necessary.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Stephen A and most of his views, but I disagree with him on this topic.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Stephen A and most of his views, but I disagree with him on this topic.

I agree that the players are at risk and that the risk poses a problem for the team owners. In workers compensation the only type of business that pays a higher rate for workers compensation insurance is a circus and roofing companies. That should tell you something about the how risky it is. Not even contractors building homes from the ground up pay as much.

So then if Kobe had been injured and sat out the last time he played in the Olympics - where would that have the Lakers?

Even with insurance to cover the player in case he gets injured - the team is still going to lose big time. I'm not saying I agree with Smith, but I do think he has some solid points.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't stand Smith & Bayless. If they went off the air it would be a wonderful thing. I don't disagree with Smith on this top though, but for a different reason. I think college players should play in the Olympics. The World knows we're the best at Basketball. There's really no point in blowing every other country out for a 16 day period every 4 years at this point. Let the kids go for the Gold. The NBA players have their money.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just glad the guy is an NBA expert and nothing else.

Part of my problem is when he does spew about different sports. Dont mind him being an arrogant NBA expert, but he made comments about Michael Sam to keep himself in the headlines too.

Cant say Durant is not thinking the same, getting an under armour deal for 10 years 250-285 million dollar deal. Nike has a chance to match it, but needs to sign a for life contract with nike if they do.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the thing about Stephen A Smith: - IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE GUY THEN DON'T LISTEN TO HIM. No one is forcing you to look on the guy and hear what he says and guess what - He is making millions of dollars because you're listening to him and then arguing about him all over the internet and with your friends. If you ignore the guy -and others ignore him - then he eventually will go away. He is not leaving as long as enough people pay attention to him. I don't pay attention to him any more then I listen to these jokers writing in Los Angeles. Everyone has an opinion and everyone is going to be wrong half of the time - BIG DEAL

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the thing about Stephen A Smith: - IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE GUY THEN DON'T LISTEN TO HIM. No one is forcing you to look on the guy and hear what he says and guess what - He is making millions of dollars because you're listening to him and then arguing about him all over the internet and with your friends. If you ignore the guy -and others ignore him - then he eventually will go away. He is not leaving as long as enough people pay attention to him. I don't pay attention to him any more then I listen to these jokers writing in Los Angeles. Everyone has an opinion and everyone is going to be wrong half of the time - BIG DEAL

:10:

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I want the God honest opinion about something, im listening to Stephen A. Or Charles Barkley.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I want the God honest opinion about something, im listening to Stephen A. Or Charles Barkley.

Barkley is an idiot, but at least he is funny. Smith was funny one time - when they asked him if the Lakers gave up to much to get Pau Gasol.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stephen Smith delivers the Opium to many. They get addicted. He actually knows what he is spewing 50% of the time. he is a business man trying to create an image he is a insider. Its getting old now but 15 years ago he was actually very much that

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stephen Smith delivers the Opium to many. They get addicted. He actually knows what he is spewing 50% of the time. he is a business man trying to create an image he is a insider. Its getting old now but 15 years ago he was actually very much that

He don't need to create an image that he is an insider. He is an insider. He knows and have personal relationships with a lot of players and front office personnel.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is nearly 50 and while he certainly has inside info at times, at times he acts like he does when he does not. He is not playing hoops with his sixers like he did, he is not being invited to hang out with AI and the boys I am sure (the new stars are half his age). That was his advantage. He speaks before he thinks and I am sure people now stay clear of him. It gets old as a shtick